Peter McKay , Foriegn Minister

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
This is the scary part of the kind of democracy we have in Canada - when a guy like this could become Canada's Foriegn Minister. I guess we have to accept it, but there are some issues that arise.

For one, the nomination process is where candidates really get chosen, and thats all done within the party. Peter McKay gets rewarded by the party for doing some dirty work...
- Peter was the leader when the "Great Betrayal" of the agreement the two sides of the Conservative Party had in 2000, where David Orchard and peter McKay had agreed that the Alliance would not be swallowing the smaller party.
http://tinyurl.com/p5gat

Also, he has certain "beliefs" of the christian right that are not completely disclosed to the public - a hidden agenda by a radical christian is not the kind of thing a diplomat representing Canada should be dragging around to meetings with Arabic and Islamic nations of the world. For all we know, Peter McKay might insult Arabs with some fearless statements as told to him by god, just like George W Bush decides to go to war and invade other nations.

The association of this conservative group in power in Ottawa now with American politicians is another very scary aspect. Peter Mckay has not been such an obvious USA Brown Noser as PM Harper has, but we can be sure that he cherishes their every move, that he will parrot their sentiments on Israels right to commit genocidal acts on Arabs, and that Elitism and concentration of wealth is a good thing.

A minority government just does not have enough of a mandate to be putting Canada's Religious Right stamp on our dealings with the world.

K

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Karlin said:
Also, he has certain "beliefs" of the christian right that are not completely disclosed to the public - a hidden agenda by a radical christian is not the kind of thing a diplomat representing Canada should be dragging around to meetings with Arabic and Islamic nations of the world. For all we know, Peter McKay might insult Arabs with some fearless statements as told to him by god, just like George W Bush decides to go to war and invade other nations.

So is this character assassination by speculation (he might say...), guilt by associate (just like George W.) or just conservative baiting?

Please back up this hidden agenda radical christian anti arab label you've hung on the man.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Peter McKay, Foriegn Minister

I can only hope that, when this Parliament of Canada is dissolved (and make no mistake, within a few months, either the Government of Canada is going to be defeated, or The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada is going to advice that an election occur), the people of Canada have been paying attention to the inappropriate conduct of this Government, and that Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is returned to the Government benches (being the only alternative to the Conservative Party of Canada, at this time).

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Re: Peter McKay, Foriegn Minister

FiveParadox said:
I can only hope that, when this Parliament of Canada is dissolved (and make no mistake, within a few months, either the Government of Canada is going to be defeated, or The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada is going to advice that an election occur), the people of Canada have been paying attention to the inappropriate conduct of this Government, and that Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is returned to the Government benches (being the only alternative to the Conservative Party of Canada, at this time).

Once again, don't beat around the bush, lay out your accusations.

I am quite happy with the current governement. I would like to see them stick around. I quite like the idea of a government who are focused on a few issues and execute on them. You can complain about the quality of the results but at least the address the issues on which they campaigned.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
the anti arab smell of the man
--is intinsic to this racist culture

Punk music---is pure shit---
as are those who make it-
as an unfortunate import from the poodles palace

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Karlin said:
This is the scary part of the kind of democracy we have in Canada - when a guy like this could become Canada's Foriegn Minister. I guess we have to accept it, but there are some issues that arise.

For one, the nomination process is where candidates really get chosen, and thats all done within the party. Peter McKay gets rewarded by the party for doing some dirty work...
- Peter was the leader when the "Great Betrayal" of the agreement the two sides of the Conservative Party had in 2000, where David Orchard and peter McKay had agreed that the Alliance would not be swallowing the smaller party.

The association of this conservative group in power in Ottawa now with American politicians is another very scary aspect. Peter Mckay has not been such an obvious USA Brown Noser as PM Harper has, but we can be sure that he cherishes their every move, that he will parrot their sentiments on Israels right to commit genocidal acts on Arabs, and that Elitism and concentration of wealth is a good thing.

A minority government just does not have enough of a mandate to be putting Canada's Religious Right stamp on our dealings with the world.

K

Every word of your post is speculative bullshit. Regarding his personel beliefs, what the hell does that have to do with his position as long as it does not influence his job? You are clearly trying to mould him as being some GWB puppet, without merrit or proof. McKay being a christian and a conservative politican automatically casts him as a bigot according to your standards?

Considering the past PM was a Catholic, I don't recall hearing people questioning his religion in regards to his position.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Re: RE: Peter McKay , Foriegn Minister

fuzzylogix said:
the anti arab smell of the man
--is intinsic to this racist culture

Punk music---is pure shit---
as are those who make it-
as an unfortunate import from the poodles palace

WTF? Are you writing a song? I'm with you if you start another thread. This one is about Peter McKay.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
DurkaDurka said:
Every word of your post is speculative bullshit. Regarding his personel beliefs, what the hell does that have to do with his position as long as it does not influence his job? You are clearly trying to mould him as being some GWB puppet, without merrit or proof. McKay being a christian and a conservative politican automatically casts him as a bigot according to your standards?

The part about Peter McKay’s betrayal of his word to David Orchard is true. McKay had a ‘signed agreement’ with David Orchard that he would not merge the Progressive Conservative party with the Alliance. David Orchard had come second to McKay with a quarter of the vote. In return for his ‘signed agreement’, David Orchard threw his support behind McKay with his voting base.

Winnipeg Free Press, Friday, June 2nd, 2006

At the 1998 convention that restored Joe Clark as Tory leader, Orchard won 25 per cent of the vote. In 2003 he came second to Peter MacKay on the first ballot. He agreed to support MacKay on the next ballot in return for MacKay's signed agreement that he would not lead the Progressive Conservatives into a union with the Canadian Alliance. Once elected, in one of the fastest and greatest betrayals in our political history, MacKay, without any apparent moral qualms, broke his word. As his reward he became Stephen Harper's chief lieutenant and got to preach in the Commons about the immorality of the Liberals.

Orchard's reward, ultimately, was to be banned outright from membership in the new Conservative party. This extraordinary move on the part of the Conservative leadership strongly suggests that they were afraid to have their doctrinal rigidity challenged by people who might think heretical thoughts. He was lucky to avoid being burned at the stake. Whether Orchard would have found the Harper party at all congenial is surely moot, but being banned certainly clarified his options: In January, shortly before this year's election, he joined the Liberal party.

There were people who gave their support to McKay based on Orchard via votes and political donation and I’m sure they did so in the belief that McKay would honour his agreement to Orchard in the interest of moderate conservatives who were ideologically incompatible to the right-wing lean of the Alliance.

McKay screwed them all in the end. The more I learn of Orchard, the more I would have supported him if, to this day, he were running for the Progressive Conservative Party (now extinct).

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Karlin said:

K

First of all. Karlin, I hate your posts. They are always so idiotic. A good example would be your "oil sands are a national disgrace" thread.

And second, why do you post a thread and then decide to run off and not debate with the other members. I find that very idiotic of you.

Now, back to the topic.

I don't have a problem with Peter MacKay. I find him a suitable Foreign Affairs Minister. Peter MacKay, when he was leader of the Progressive Conservatives, said he wasn't going to merge with the Canadian Alliance. But can you blame the guy for joining with the Canadian Alliance. The Progressive Conservative Party was beyond repair, thanks to Brian Mulroney. I agree with MacKay's decision. And I have never heard of Peter MacKay being a Christian nutcase. What you are saying is just speculation. Peter MacKay will not insult the Arab nations.

And Stephen Harper is not a U.S. ass-kisser. And Karlin, it is good if we have a Prime Minister who gets along well with the U.S. President, since the U.S. is our closest friend and our main trade partner. Obviously, you don't think that we should have free trade and that we should let the economy go down the toilet. You must hate Canada if you will let its economy collaspe. Idiot!

And Israel is not commiting genocide. They are attempting to get their two soldiers set free from Hezbollah's clutches. Yes, I'm not happy that 400 inncoent Lebanese had to die, but that is the price that has to be payed so that Israel can get its soldiers back and disarm Hezbollah.

The Conservatives are not trying to spread any of their religious beliefs. That just dumbass speculation. I don't understand why you always feel the need to discredit the right-wing. Not everything they do is bad.

Closing, Karlin you are a moron. Get a life!

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Far from being some sort of national disgrace, the Foreign Minister has shown himself capable and every time he speaks this canadian stands up a little more straight.
Beats the hell out of "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven"

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
JonB2004 said:
First of all. Karlin, I hate your posts. They are always so idiotic. A good example would be your "oil sands are a national disgrace" thread.

And second, why do you post a thread and then decide to run off and not debate with the other members. I find that very idiotic of you.

JonB2004 said:
Closing, Karlin you are a moron. Get a life!

First you put the guy down personally, then you expect him to engage you in civil dialogue. Come on. How about just tackling the message and not the messenger. What has he done personally to you for you to make it so personal?

Have a little more respect.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]First of all. Karlin, I hate your posts. They are always so idiotic. A good example would be your "oil sands are a national disgrace" thread.

What is your problem, JonB2004? You have no right to insult members of Canadian Content, nor do you have the backing to do so. To address what you said in particular, however, to suggest that a member should be bound to sit in one's own threads, mindlessly refreshing waiting for responses, is entirely unreasonable. Members are free to post where they wish.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]You must hate Canada if you will let its economy collaspe. Idiot!
Unacceptable!

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]Closing, Karlin you are a moron. Get a life!
Look in the mirror, JonB2004. Post with some respect, or don't post.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
JonB2004 said:
You must hate Canada if you will let its economy collaspe. Idiot!

Where does he specifically say he hates Canada? Where does he specifically say he wants our economy to collapse? Or are you just pinning these things on him for what you ‘believe’ or would argue on the issues?

That makes for a big difference.

(just to add)

There are people who I seriously do not agree with here, and who’s ideology, I believe could take this country down the path of ruin. Yet I would never argue against their patronage or their love of this country.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Peter McKay , Foriegn

Most of what you say about Peter McKay seems more applicable to Steven Harper (ie he is more conservative, closer to the U.S., and more a part of the 'religious right'), who also happens to be in more of a position of power. So, I think Peter McKay is the least of our worries.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hmm, why do I say he hates Canada? Because everything Karlin wants to happen would result in economic collaspe. How does economic collaspe help Canada? It doesn't. Everyone in Canada would suffer. Perhaps suggesting Karlin hates Canada is a tad extreme. But he sure must not care about it too much.

And FiveParadox, yes members are allowed to post whenever they want, whereever they want. I'm quite aware of that. But I'm a fed up of Karlin coming in here and posting a thread and then running off. I never run off from debating my threads, even if I turn out looking like the dumbass.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

JonB2004 said:
And FiveParadox, yes members are allowed to post whenever they want, whereever they want. I'm quite aware of that. But I'm a fed up of Karlin coming in here and posting a thread and then running off. I never run off from debating my threads, even if I turn out looking like the dumbass.
That doesn't excuse in any way, shape, or form, publishing personal insults against a member of this forum. Please click here to check out the site's Zero Tolerance policy in relation to insulting members.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

FiveParadox said:
JonB2004 said:
That doesn't excuse in any way, shape, or form, publishing personal insults against a member of this forum. Please click here to check out the site's Zero Tolerance policy in relation to insulting members.

I'm also aware of the Zero Tolerance policy of this forum. I saw Cosmo post it the other day. So, what are you going to do? XReport me?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

JonB2004 said:
I'm also aware of the Zero Tolerance policy of this forum. I saw Cosmo post it the other day. So, what are you going to do? XReport me?
I report posts, from time to time, when in my opinion, such posts are in contravention of any one or more of the Terms of Use, the Forum Rules, or administrative requests and orders. Are you of the opinion that you should be exempt from the regulations that apply to other members?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

JonB2004 said:
No, I don't think I should be exempt.
Are you then perhaps of the opinion that calling a member a "moron" and "idiot", rather than refuting his or her arguments, and quoting a member on another forum for the sole purpose of bashing and insulting that member, is not a contravention of the rules? Would you contend that such behaviour is indeed appropriate?