Layton Lies to Boost Ego

Should Mr. Layton be denounced for this incident?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Members of the Liberal Party of Canada today denounced The Honourable Jack Layton, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto—Danforth and the Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, for statements he made to reporters after a visit to Woods Harbour in the Province of Nova Scotia during the Province's election, which suggested that he had brought the issue of the need to support wharves to the attention of the House of Commons, and initiated a debate thereon.

However, the Hansard seems to remember things in a bit less of an orange light. It was The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, P.C., M.P., the Member for Cardigan and the Crown Corporations Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, who moved the motion that brought about the discussion on wharves — and Mr. Layton was absent for the first two hours of that debate. He only showed up after the Government of Canada had made an attempt to invoke closure on the debate, and failed to do so.

[color=red said:
The Hon. Lawrence MacAulay[/color], P.C., M.P.,]This stunt proves that Layton will say just about anything for partisan purposes. [...] If you look at Hansard from Monday, it will show that Mr. Layton was Johnny-come-lately. He should do the honourable thing and come clean. It is not acceptable to mislead the public in a crass attempt to pander for votes, and he should apologize.

Click here to read the entire statement.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier.
For some reason, I expected better than this from Mr. Layton.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
um, all the leaders of all the political parties know the immportance for their media image. Well besides perhaps Harper who is having a hard time again with the media.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
As for the accusation that Layton lied or forgot about something, the Liberals shouldn't be complaining as the nation has been sick of the Liberal lies for the past 13 years. There's so many I don't think anyone here could actually count them. I remember a post awhile ago with a good deal of the liberal lies and it made me dizzy reading them.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Heh, yes, Layton's debate on wharves.

Has anyone else checked to see his "contribution" to the debate?

Twelve sentences.

One, maybe two minutes' worth.

Maybe I wouldn't be so irked about this if he'd mentioned anything useful.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ah, so you're jumping into that boat, are you, Finder?

"But the Liberals did it, so that means Jack can too, and it's okay!"

No.

That's not how it works.

If it was bad when the Liberals did it, then that doesn't mean Mr. Layton gets a free pass. Mr. Layton outright lied to the people of Nova Scotia to garner votes for the NDP during an election. It was a highly inappropriate course of action for anyone, never mind a party leader, to take.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mr. Layton took credit for the entire premise of a debate in the House of Commons — one which he only barely made the attendance for, and then spoke for about one minute. He didn't just stretch the truth, he entirely lied.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
UM paradox if you call that a lie.... of importance, compaired the the lies the Liberals of done, many concerning billions of dollars, um, I think your priorities of attacking the centre left is somewhat... extreme on this case. There is a saying my friend. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and right now the liberals live in a very thin glass house.

If Latin "lied" or made a mistake, forgot or whatever about it, yeah he made a mistake but who the hell cares, about taking cred for a debate!? well besides you and neo-cons on the extreme right who wish to throw stones at the centre-left *shrugs*.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Finder said:
If Latin "lied" or made a mistake, forgot or whatever about it, yeah he made a mistake but who the hell cares, about taking cred for a debate!? well besides you and neo-cons on the extreme right who wish to throw stones at the centre-left *shrugs*.
I have never defended lies, from either the Opposition, or otherwise.

In this case, Mr. Layton lied. He outright lied. He didn't just stretch a truth, he lied in Nova Scotia to garner support for the New Democratic Party, and he outright lied to those citizens in doing so, and you are saying here, today, that you condone and support this behaviour. Moreover, I intend to ignore your accusation of being "neoconservative."

I would think it odd that you denounce lies from the Liberal Party of Canada, and yet lies to garner support for your New Democratic Party of Canada are condoned, to be appreciated, encouraged, approved of and to be thrown about in efforts to get your fringe party's foot further into the door of the House of Commons.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well you can blame that onto getting sick of hearing liberal lies for the last 13 years a small irrelative lie based on point of view doesn't phaze me as much. Considering I'm now further jaded by Conservative lies and promises, all of which from the Liberals have had bigger consequences then forgetting, slip of the mind or a small lie about a debate... come on. Without hearing Laytons side of the story you have already judged and sentanced him as well. *shrugs*

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The [i said:
Chronicle Herald[/i]]Mr. Layton said in an interview Monday he started a debate about increasing the Department of Fisheries and Oceans' budget by $15 million for small wharves such as the Falls Point wharf in Woods Harbour.
Mr. Layton did no such thing.

He wasn't even there when the motion to bring about that debate was moved. He wasn't there when the motion was passed, and he wasn't there for two hours of that debate. He might not have had a chance to speak on the matter period, had the Conservative Party of Canada not faltered in their effort to quash the debate.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Did you think he had planned to move it and had forgotten that he hadn't gotten the chance? It's a debate who gives a rats @ss. If Paul Martin, Harper or whoever made the same mistake I'd laugh but not make an issue out of it. This is a joke.

Edit:
and I have defeanded both Martin and Harper when they have done the right things and have supported the Conservatives and the Liberals on issues which I'm happy they have dealt with or are planning to deal with in the near future, such as senate reform currently with harper.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would continue to question the fact that some members here think that faults in one party should be spread to the others. If one thinks that lies from the Liberal Party of Canada are something negative and to be avoided, then I would think that one would hope that such things don't occur in their own parties of choice. Rather, it tends to be a rather standard practice now, between the Conservative Party of Canada and the New Democratic Party of Canada, to play the blame game, throwing the ethics of their own parties out the windows.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Liberal lies coast the nation billions and cost the Liberal party government. Thats the differences. Plus there was so many it was and is staggering. I can't find the orginal post posted before the election with the list of lies, but it was extremely long.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mr. Layton intervened in the election of a Province in an effort to garner support for the New Democratic Party in the area, misrepresenting his work in the Commons to increase his party's chances. Mr. Layton's comments were made after that debate had occurred. I don't think he would have "forgotten" that he hadn't moved that motion. He'd only spoken three, perhaps four times in the House that day (with the exception of Question Period).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But then you do condone, then, the fact that you would think that Mr. Layton should lie when it suits the purposes of the New Democratic Party of Canada, in terms of the media, provided that other parties have done so in the past?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
um, of course not! I don't believe any of them should. But hey they are all human, they all live hard lives which are demanding on there abilities, time and health. They are bound to make a mistake here and there. However there is a difference between a mistake and on going issues of lieing, miss using public money and credibility.

So yes you are right, Layton was wrong for saying so, but we do not know the reasons behind it. As I said he may have gotten confused because I could easily see layton or the NDP raising this issue in parilment and I could see him being busy and hearing it was raised and then believing it was him or the NDP who raised it. Either way it was raised. If it is true that he didn't at all raise it in parliment then he should make a statment of such acknowledging the mistake. Perhaps the news media may call him on it and we will get it cleared up.