England B vs. Belarus

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Hi everyone, I'm currently watching England vs. Belarus, it's 1 - 0 to England, and as this is a canadian forum, I'm just wondering, whats ur opinion on England playing one Mr Owen Hargreaves?

being that he''s obviously Canadian (have you heard him....he certainly doesnt look pasty enough to English lol), he's from Calgary, and considering your international soccer side's most well known player (to me anyway) is Craig Forrest the goaly...I'm just wonderin your thoughts on a. about England nicking a canadian national to play for us...and B. what do you think of the current state of Canadian Soccer?....oh and here's a pic of Owen

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Most Canadians are not big on Soccer.

Though many Canadians who come from other nations first and second generation usually go crazy around Fifa time and usually always cheer for the team from their orginal homeland. Personally I'm a fan of the Irish team around that time too. But they are not one of the better teams.

Canadian soccer is sad at best pathetic at worse.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
ah fair enough....although I think your game might pick up if you take the US's way of approaching it "in the end it's all about who's got the better immigrants" was sumthin and American said to me while watching the US vs. Mexico in Chicago........I mean considering your population, I think you should do better

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
I think Hargreaves had a falling out with Soccer Canada, but I don't know the details. I don't really mind him playing for England, but obviously I'd rather him play for Canada.

Canada's had its ups and downs over the years in the sport. There were some qualifying games for this year's World Cup that they should have won but instead drew or lost for various reasons.

Our youth teams seem to be improving and have put up solid results at recent international championships. The other day our Under 20 team beat Brazil for the first time ever and they play again tonight. Maybe there is hope in the future.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I hope so...it's always suprised me though, considering the English founded soccer that most of the Commonwealth countries tended to be poor at it and preferred Rugby and Cricket (Although I think thats really a class issue).

And you never know, you might do a "US Soccer" and all of a sudden for no reason whatsoever find your strangley 6th best in the world ratings :)

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
But then we'd bear the wrath of irate English fans for our team being 'statistically better' than theirs. It's not something that I would want to risk. :)

Canada DID draw with the States a couple of months ago. That should make us at LEAST ninth best by my reckoning. Maybe even higher. :)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
our reserves beat em 0 - 2 in chicago a few months ago also, I think it's very political on the part of FIFA though, I think they see the US and see pots of money coming their way.

Nah we wouldnt be irate....Australia walked all over us in England the other year, and their "usually" about as good at football s you

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Hey, did your reserve team just get beat by Belarus? :)

I only watched the first half but thought that Lennon played well. Hargreaves..... not so well.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
nope, we brought ona new keeper at halftime, first kick he had....groin strain, he kicked the ball and ent down clutching his manhood...didnt bother the opposing stiker though, he just got the ball and scored....terrible sportsmanship....we eventually lost 1-2!!! toa 10 man squad!!!