Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you support fixed election dates?

I do. Preferably every four years. I don't think that the governing party should be able to have an election whenever its good for them.
The only exception I think there should be is if the government is brought down on a vote of no confidence.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Absolutely, if you have a majority. You have a four year time period to rule and then you have an election even if you are liked or hated. And if you are in a minority you loose power when there is a confidence vote.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
No, I do not. I beleive in maximum term limits however..but not fixed dates. I actually think its better to have a system of responsible government that holds a gov't accountable than a fixed term election in which the government has a fixed controlled mandate.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Fixed Election Dates

One must keep in mind, too, that we would be removing a high degree of the reserved power of the Crown of Canada, were we ever to compromise the prerogative of the Crown to exercise discretion in the timing of an election. One cannot account for every situation, and so going into elections based on convention rather than legislation is, in my opinion, preferable.

By way of example, during the Twelfth Parliament of Canada, on the advice of the late Right Honourable Sir Robert Borden and with the consent of a two-thirds majority of the House of Commons, the Government was able to extend the life of the Parliament beyond its maximum of five years, due to the exigent circumstances of the war. If there were fixed election dates, then Parliament would have been dissolved during that war.

Some prime ministers have gone into an election in order to get the opinion of the people of Canada on a particular issue; for example, there was an election which was fought on the issue of free trade. One must keep in mind that, depending on the numbers of members from each party sent to the Commons in an election, the Parliament could become deadlocked — and with no method to break that deadlock, the Government could become useless for those suggested four years.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
We do in some respects have "fixed election dates" as a Parliament can not last longer than five years. I am opposed to "fixed dates" for a number of reasons. Firstly, while it may present a more "equal playing field" it does nothing to strengthen democracy. Out here on the West Coast we had a "fixed date election" and all it did was mean that the political campaign lasted 6 months. This tired everyone out from campaign volunteers to average voters. I mean come on how many weeks of campaining can the non-politico go through without losing interst in the whole processs or wish the damn thing would end? 6 weeks is long enough! A fixed date makes changes the election season from a couple months to well over 6. If you don't beleive me look at America where presidential election campagins typically run 2 years from "exploratory committee to eletion day".

Second: what happens if the government gets defeated in December or November again; then we may have a couple of "fixed Winter elections" which is just plain stupid. I love the winter and everything that goes with it but generally speaking it is not the appropriate time for an election.

Thirdly, while the playing field is equalised in some ways a government has many advantages. From my own BC experience these advantages, good news budget, advertising etc.. are actually magnified by fixed dates. In BC for example for months before the election we saw Government of BC ads praising the benefits of BC for toursim and business investments etc.. While these are not technically election ads they in effect praised the great achievements (and you can guess who is responsible for these wonderful feats) of British Columbia. The government who has a fixed date has the advantage of being able to plan and then really turn on the jets during the 30 day campaign.

Fourthly: Set dates would and do take away "Issue" campaigns like the Free Trade Election of 1988. No longer would a PM be able to call an election on an important issue and seek a fresh mandate unless the government was defeated in the House or the issue co-incided with election timing. IS this democratic? I think not. Through out Canadian history Canada has had Issue campaigns which in my opinion have strengthend our democracy.

Fifth, because fixed dates promote longer campaigns in practice if not in theory it creates a longer "silly season" in parliament where nothing gets done and every issue, speech, newsconference, inference, word and gesture become politicised. This isn not in the best interest of getting things done and has the exact opposite effect. It only creates poor governance whereby politicians are trying to score cheap political points against one another.

Finally, fixed dates are a very American idea. While I have every respect for Americans I think their system of government is one of the worst ever created. Imagine having a system whereby the Executive is unaccountable? Plain dumb. I do n ot think we should be copying a system which hasn't worked effectively for decades.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I could care less about the crown, as in the executive of Canada as it is currently an undemocratic body of Government, and as for keeping the commons going I see that as a dangerous undemocratic tool which could be used to keep power. No government should ever be scared of the electorate, remember we are supposed to be there boss not the other way around. I don't care if we are at war or going to war a government should always be answerable to the people. Actually if we kept this power for the government or Crown as it was tradition to determine the timing for elections the government could decide to enter a conflic to thus increase there parliment. When you consider the USA which is currently at war and is a republican style of government it was not scared to hold an election even though it is in over three conflics. 1. The War in Iraq, 2 Afcan war and 3 the war on terrorism. In which we do not know how long these wars will last and having a fixed election is needed in this case.

War, tradition and any other excuse to extend a regeme is not acceptable in this day and age of democracy, even Bush as had to except this reality I think it is easy for Canada to do this as well.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I disagree with your points about the government wanting to call an election on valuable issues to try and get a new mandate whenever they want. That is what we want to get away with with fixed elections, so that the party doesn't have a chance to do that. They have to have an election every four years if they are popular or not.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Re: Fixed Election Dates

FiveParadox said:
By way of example, during the Twelfth Parliament of Canada, on the advice of the late Right Honourable Sir Robert Borden and with the consent of a two-thirds majority of the House of Commons, the Government was able to extend the life of the Parliament beyond its maximum of five years, due to the exigent circumstances of the war. If there were fixed election dates, then Parliament would have been dissolved during that war.

I think that if there is fixed election dates, if Canada is involved in a war, that the election should be skipped and the governing party should be allowed another term, or in the case of a minority government, until it is brought down.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think if the nation is at war, that it ismore immportant to ensure you have an election then in peace times.

Anyone who has read anything on political science knows that wars are used by governoring regemes to increase there power.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Finder, I don't agree with your suggestion.

I don't think that anyone in Canada would dare to orchestrate or to instigate a war for the purpose of increasing the duration of any particular Parliament of Canada.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Id not support term limits on members of parliament as the people should decide that issue with a ballot. The length of term to be served by a member is already determined by the voters of the nation. As for fixed election dates, proportional representation and reforms I don't support them either.
We have a mandate system that allows a government to govern for a five year period at present, the government of the day can seek a new mandate anytime within that period of time. If a particular government wishes to seek a new mandate so be it.
We have a multi party system in this country and a parliamentary system which can defeat a particular party at any time in the case of a minority. A minority government is administered on Parliament by the people, especially when voters don't trust anyone with a clear majority.
I hope we never adopt the American system, ours is a good system in my opinion and I see no need for change.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Id not support term limits on members of parliament as the people should decide that issue with a ballot. The length of term to be served by a member is already determined by the voters of the nation. As for fixed election dates, proportional representation and reforms I don't support them either.
We have a mandate system that allows a government to govern for a five year period at present, the government of the day can seek a new mandate anytime within that period of time. If a particular government wishes to seek a new mandate so be it.
We have a multi party system in this country and a parliamentary system which can defeat a particular party at any time in the case of a minority. A minority government is administered on Parliament by the people, especially when voters don't trust anyone with a clear majority.
I hope we never adopt the American system, ours is a good system in my opinion and I see no need for change.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
FiveParadox, as a supporter of Democracy and the freedom of rights of people I must then disagree with you. Too many regemes in the world have used wars as an excuse. Unless our borders have been penetrated I do see any reason at all why we should be scared of elections. You know during a war that the government would say your either with us or our foe. Any political distance could be harrassed our worse. Having an election would elevate this. Also if you think a war could pre-empt an election what happens when you declare a war on something like terrorism one which you may be at war forever...

No war does not pre-empt democracy unless you are in a dier situation

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Hey, does it mean "Fixed Dates" for when to have an election, or is it referring to rigged elections, as in "Fixed Elections", on a certain date.

A Fixed Election on a certain date is the way they did it last time, as if Harper really won.

Ha ha, just kidding,
Karlin

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Karlin, I'm sure if we used the whole thing where you could by-pass an election over a war. All soembody like Harper would have to do is increase the number of people we have in Afghanistan, to 20k or more and there you have it, Harper could be king of Canada, because hell, we are at war and people like Fiveparadox and others think just because we are at war we don't need elections.

Ok I'm realistic, if we are invaded by lets say, the Nazi's or something and they have Newfound land already, yeah, I think it's pretty striaght forward we are not going to have elections.