Parliament Takes Break; Tensions Mounting

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As the Senate and the House of Commons adjourn for a week on the occasion of Victoria Day, tensions between the Government of Canada, Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, the Bloc Québécois and the New Democratic Party of Canada have reached a peak — the anger in the Lower House seems to be the highest since the opening of the Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada. After a series of Government moves, the opposition parties are poised to attack.

The most obvious of those moves was the decision to force a snap vote on a motion respecting the mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Members of Parliament were given thirty-six hours' notice to prepare for the debate and to vote — and the Government denied requests from committees to hear from witnesses and experts in relation to the mission. The Liberal Party of Canada contends that the Government forced the vote in that manner for the purpose of attempting to damage their caucus; however, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, asserts that the vote was prompted by a request from His Excellency Hamid Karzai, the President of Afghanistan.

Another point of contention in recent days has been Mr. Harper's scrapping of the Public Appointments Commission, in response to opposition parties passing a motion to reject Gwyn Morgan as the Chairperson of the Commission; the Prime Minister now contends that he requires a majority government before he can move forward on efforts to end patronage, angering the opposition parties.

In addition to this, the Prime Minister appears to be expressing interest in joining into the Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate, prompted by some comments from the Honourable John Howard, the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia; the opposition parties are seething at Mr. Harper's admission that he is going to ignore a Bloc Québécois motion, respecting the Kyoto Accord.

One issue which is sure to continue to heat up in coming weeks is the subject of the gun registry; each of the three opposition parties support the registry. The Government, however, bypassed the Parliament of Canada by announcing a gun amnesty, which, in effect, disables the registry for the time being. The Standing Committee of the House of Commons on Public Accounts is likely going to be a "battleground", of sorts, on the matter of the gun registry; the committee has vowed to push ahead in its effort to discover how sixty-million dollars (CA$60 000 000) was hidden from Parliament so effectively. The Grits seem to think that the issue is a matter of a disagreement over accounting practices, whereas the Conservative Party of Canada has expressed the opinion that the previous Government of Canada hid the costs with the intent of misleading Parliament.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of PoliticsWatch.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Parliament Takes Brea

Too bad the Liberals are in the middle of a leadership campaign or they would take down Harper .

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
This is all going for the good of the NDP. With them still showing that the Liberals don't deserve to govern just yet and the Cons can't govern without being a dictatorship. So this is a good sign for the NDP because from comments by the Cons, they are more afraid of the NDP then the liberals in these CPAc debates.

Everything is looking good for the NDP. SO an election now would be the best for the NDP.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

You know what, maybe for once everyone should vote in a NDP government, just to test it out. Maybe they will do a really good job.

And if they don't, we'll just vote the Liberals back in.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I agree. Give the NDP a try. The NDP provincial government in Ontario were given a debt to get out of. They didn't create the debt.

The cons have had their chance to government and they are crap. Give the NDP a try, and if they are not a good government vote back in the Libs if you want.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The NDP are idiots.

They rejected Morgan because he was a success that told the truth. How stupid is that?

They wanted to continue aid to Afghanistan, while removing the troops necessary to protect and distribute it, as well as stabilize the country in the long term. How stupid is that?

As for the Liberal mishandling of the gun registry funds, the Auditor General dismissed quite clearly any contention that it was an error, or a disagreement between accountants. She said it was a serious breach............

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I can see it now.

The Right Honorable Jack Layton
Prime Minister of Canada

Yeah, we should give the NDP a chance. Just a minority government. Voters gave the Conservatives yet another chance. And its the same crap as last time. The NDP has never had a chance and we should give it to them.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
The NDP are idiots.

They rejected Morgan because he was a success that told the truth. How stupid is that?

They wanted to continue aid to Afghanistan, while removing the troops necessary to protect and distribute it, as well as stabilize the country in the long term. How stupid is that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They said they wanted a security force to protect the aid workers which was misconstruded by the Cons. So the cons are the idiots because they are going to be the ones who are going to be bitten on the issues they try to do.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Parliament Takes Brea

JonB2004 said:
I can see it now.

The Right Honorable Jack Layton
Prime Minister of Canada

Yeah, we should give the NDP a chance. Just a minority government. Voters gave the Conservatives yet another chance. And its the same crap as last time. The NDP has never had a chance and we should give it to them.

WHY have the NDP never had a chance?

Because MORE than 80% of Canadians have realized they are ivory-tower idealists with no grounding in reality that would rapidly (and happily) destroy the nation politically, economically, and internationally.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

I've never had cancer, should I give that a try? The NDP (i'm sorry Jersay) are the anti-thesis of what it is to be Canadian. They're too pacifistic, they don't see the big picture of the World, and they'd let everone walk all over us, which is basically what the Liberals did. I'm sorry, but the thought of the NDP running Canada, scares me to no end. They'd hand out money to everyone and anything and deem it a "social program". Truth be told, i'm a Conservative, and I hate the Liberal Party of Canada after what they did to our Nation. However, given a choice between the NDP and the Liberals, i'd say bring back Chetien.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Because MORE than 80% of Canadians have realized they are ivory-tower idealists with no grounding in reality that would rapidly (and happily) destroy the nation politically, economically, and internationally.

However it is the idealist who always tries to make the world work for the best.

And Jon I agree. A minority government for the NDP, even a really small one, and if they do a really really good job give them another mandate, a minority or a majority doesn't matter.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

JonB2004 said:
Colpy, did you vote Conservative in the election?

GOOD guess! :D

Not only did I vote Conservative in the last election, I am a card-carrying member of the party.

I was a member of the Canadian Alliance before that.

Before that I was a member of the Reform Party. I think I joined in 1992, but I'm not sure.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Mogz said:
I've never had cancer, should I give that a try? The NDP (i'm sorry Jersay) are the anti-thesis of what it is to be Canadian. They're too pacifistic, they don't see the big picture of the World, and they'd let everone walk all over us, which is basically what the Liberals did. I'm sorry, but the thought of the NDP running Canada, scares me to no end. They'd hand out money to everyone and anything and deem it a "social program". Truth be told, i'm a Conservative, and I hate the Liberal Party of Canada after what they did to our Nation. However, given a choice between the NDP and the Liberals, i'd say bring back Chetien.

I would respectfully disagree with some of your comments. But I agree with some others. I would disagree that the NDP is what isn't a Canadian. But that depends on what ideology of Canada or Canadians you view.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

I just don't like Jack Laytons politics. He's too much of a political hippy for my liking. And being a fence-sitter didn't get Canada anywhere. With all due respect.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Colpy said:
JonB2004 said:
Colpy, did you vote Conservative in the election?

GOOD guess! :D

Not only did I vote Conservative in the last election, I am a card-carrying member of the party.

I was a member of the Canadian Alliance before that.

Before that I was a member of the Reform Party. I think I joined in 1992, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, well its kind of dumb for you to say that the NDP is a bunch of idiots. Look at the way the Conservatives run their government.

The recent Conservative budget was extremely irresponsible.

They oppose same-sex marriage. The government has no business in Canadians bedrooms. And they oppose abortion. Abortion is a womans right. And the Conservatives oppose these things because they are a bunch of cocksucking Christian fuckers and they base their political beliefs on that fiction book called the Bible. You cannot run your government based on the Bible.

And I'm suprised your not still pissed off after what Brian Mulroney did to this country. He almost destroyed Canada.

I will never ever trust those bastard Conservatives. Never! I will vote for the Marijuana Party before I vote for those fuckers. And I'm sickened at how people can vote for the Conservatives.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Parliament Takes Break; Tensions Mounting

Colpy said:
They wanted to continue aid to Afghanistan, while removing the troops necessary to protect and distribute it, as well as stabilize the country in the long term. How stupid is that?...

not as stupid as you thinking that's true.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

Mogz said:
I just don't like Jack Laytons politics. He's too much of a political hippy for my liking. And being a fence-sitter didn't get Canada anywhere. With all due respect.

I don't like being a fence sitter, however in the debate it was noted that Layton supported a budget last year that they would have given 8.2 billion more in money for the military than the conservative budget.

I think give them a minority try, and see how they do. They can't be too made in a minority situation because they would never get into politics again.

And Jon, if the Cons are cocksuckers doesn't that make them homosexuals, which goes against their policy?? :D

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Jersay said:
And Jon, if the Cons are cocksuckers doesn't that make them homosexuals, which goes against their policy?? :D

Nice one, Jersay! :lol:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
The Liberals are acting like complete Hypocrites regarding the Mission in Afghanistan.. :roll: