Canada has one of the most female dominated armies

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
TORONTO (CP) - Canadian women can take up arms, fight alongside male colleagues and as was learned tragically this week in Afghanistan die in combat, but experts say that's not the case around the world.

"In Western countries, for example, there have always been roles for women," said David Rudd, president of the Canadian Institute for Strategic Studies.

"Mostly these have been confined to things up to and including what are called combat-support roles."

In Canada, the roles of women began to expand in 1971 and the military gradually opened up opportunities in such non-traditional areas as military policing and firefighting.

In 1989, a human-rights tribunal ordered the military to remove any remaining employment restrictions based on sex, with the exception of submarine duty.

Today, Canadian women can enter any combat occupation and serve in any environment.

"I'm not sure if many other Western countries allow women into the army combat arms," Rudd said in an interview Thursday.

"We do. They don't in the States and they don't in the United Kingdom."

Historians and military experts note that the Soviet Army employed a large number of women during the Second World War, including Rudd said, all-female units.

In Israel, conscription for women is compulsory but Galen Perras, a University of Ottawa history professor, said "they're very loathe to put women in combat units."

"That went back to some bad experiences in the War of Independence when some female soldiers were killed, raped and mutilated," said Perras, who also taught at the Royal Military College in Kingston and worked as a strategic analyst at National Defence Headquarters.

There are currently 7,990 women in Canada's military and another 4,800 with reserve units - about 15 per cent of the 62,087 total forces.

Among them was Capt. Nichola Goddard, who became the first female Canadian soldier to die in a front-line combat role when she was killed Wednesday during a firefight with Taliban fighters west of Kandahar.

The United Nations says, traditionally, women have not been active in armed forces and in some countries are often denied the right to enlist. Perras said those countries are largely in the Middle East.

"You have countries like Saudi Arabia that don't allow women to drive without their husbands or fathers in the car," said Perras. "They would not have women in the military."

The UN noted a number of countries have taken steps to increase the number of women in their armed forces.

In Denmark, legislation has been enacted to allow women to be recruited under the same conditions as men. Norway introduced specific targets for the recruitment of women into the armed forces.

As recently as March 2006, the UN's gender adviser for the Department of Peacekeeping Operations said only one per cent of all military personnel in peacekeeping were women - or 746 women and 63,862 men. Women comprised only four per cent of the police in peacekeeping, or 314 worldwide, as compared to 7,418 men.

The department was asking countries to both recruit more women and deploy more of them in their services, but Perras said that could be slow to come.

"Militaries are very conservative organizations - they don't change easily," said Perras.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n0518125A.xml

15 may not be alot to some, it may be alot compared to what the occupation is but this is a good sign compared to alot of militaries western, Islamic or otherwise even the U.N who don't come close.

Anyone else have comments??

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Women are taking a more active role in many Militarys from the United States to Israel to Canada as it should be. I'm all for women's rights.. :D

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Jersay said:
But Canada is at the fore front of this push right now for female soldiers. While some countries have difficulties.
Really? From what I have read women are playing a large role in Iraq right now from Combat Soldiers to Combat Pilots/ Cobras, A-10`s, Black Hawks, and Israeli women Soldiers also play a large role. Still it's good to see women in the Canadian Military do their part, sadly with the death of the first Canadian woman Soldier killed I hope there isn't a debate saying women have no place in combat roles..

Oh Look here's some Israeli Soldier Babes.. :p

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
From here:

In 1989, a human-rights tribunal ordered the military to remove any remaining employment restrictions based on sex, with the exception of submarine duty.

Today, Canadian women can enter any combat occupation and serve in any environment.

"I'm not sure if many other Western countries allow women into the army combat arms," Rudd said in an interview Thursday.

"We do. They don't in the States and they don't in the United Kingdom."

Historians and military experts note that the Soviet Army employed a large number of women during the Second World War, including Rudd said, all-female units.

In Israel, conscription for women is compulsory but Galen Perras, a University of Ottawa history professor, said "they're very loathe to put women in combat units."

"That went back to some bad experiences in the War of Independence when some female soldiers were killed, raped and mutilated," said Perras, who also taught at the Royal Military College in Kingston and worked as a strategic analyst at National Defence Headquarters.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Canada has one of the

4 of them could point their bazooka's at me any time ohhh err misus!!

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Women have had a job in the IDA for a long time. Even before they were allowed (not sure if they are currently) to go into combat rolls I remember watching a docu about women NCO's in the IDA. They actually prefered Women Drill SGTs because from there records they were able to train men better somehow. Something about men wanting to show off infront of women helped.

Tid bit of info.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
1. Israel pioneered women in combat. They achieved a lot of firsts in regards to women and the military. However this was more out of nessecity than gender equality. Being surrounded by a wack of ignorant nations bent on destroying you means you arm and equip everyone you can, including females. That said, there are still professions within the Israeli Army that are forbidden to women, one being a combat diver. Being a tanker used to be closed, but i'd heard they'd changed that.

2. Canada is the only nation on Earth where a women can do any trade. No other nation on this planet allows women in 100% of the available professions.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Johnny Utah said:
Really? From what I have read women are playing a large role in Iraq right now from Combat Soldiers

When did the US open up the Combart Arms trades - infantry, armour, artillery, to women? Last I heard they were still closed.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Canada has one of the most female dominated armies

Mogz said:
2. Canada is the only nation on Earth where a women can do any trade. No other nation on this planet allows women in 100% of the available professions.

When did the submarine trades open to women?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Canada has one of the

When did the submarine trades open to women?

2002, the last trade barrier for them.

Really? From what I have read women are playing a large role in Iraq right now from Combat Soldiers

No they're not. The United States does not allow women in combat trades.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
thecdn said:
Johnny Utah said:

When did the US open up the Combart Arms trades - infantry, armour, artillery, to women? Last I heard they were still closed.
Women are flying combat Missions and in Iraq it's the front lines everywhere so Women are facing more combat..