Ambrose Urged to Resign From Conference

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Rona Ambrose, P.C., M.P., the Member for Edmonton—Spruce Grove and the Minister of the Environment is being urged by the Honourable Scott Brison, P.C., M.P., the Member for Kings—Hants and the Environment Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to resign as the chairperson of the conference to take place in relation to the Kyoto Accord, due to her decisions not to support or defend the commitment of Canada to the accord.

The [color=red said:
Hon. Scott Brison[/color], P.C., M.P.]The Minister needs to live up to her commitment to Canadians and the UN and advocate for progress on Kyoto. It appears she is only interested in using her influence as chair of the Conference of Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (COP) to sabotage Kyoto by placating non-Kyoto signatories such as the U.S. while ensuring that Canada will not meet its targets.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: The Kyoto Conference

I agree with Mr. Brison's suggestion that Ms. Ambrose should resign as the chairperson of this conference. If this present Government of Canada is indeed content to ignore our commitments to the protocol, then she has no place chairing the conference on that subject. While I think that we should commit ourselves to Kyoto, this Government obviously has no intention of doing so (whether or not the House of Commons today passes a motion from the Bloc Québécois to urge the Government to respect the accord and our targets), we should not have the chair of that conference when this Minister so vehemently opposes the accord.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Actually, I agree as well.

Kyoto is a joke, and there is no possibility we can meet the targets, and the government has no intention of supporting the accord. ( A little more honest than the Liberals, I might add.)

If we ain't gonna do it, we should withdraw for the chair of the conference.

Simple.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately, from what I have gathered during Question Period, the Minister intends to retain chairpersonship of the conference, notwithstanding the fact that her Government plans to leave the accord. Even if we are not going to continue with the Kyoto Accord, if there is a chance that other nations may be able to use the accord to reduce their own emissions, thereby assisting in the international effort to combat climate change, then we should not be sabotaging or compromising their efforts.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Ambrose Urged to Resi

I have a question for the Kyoto supporters here. If all the countries that have signed on, meet their emissions targets by the deadline, how long before global warming or climate change is stopped dead?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
[i said:
BitWhys[/i]]do you support it?

yes or no
Yes, I support the Kyoto Accord.

However, I would concede that the strategy that had been used by the previous Government of Canada to reach our targets was, at best, ineffective. I would prefer to see the present Government adapting our strategy so as to meet, or at least approach, our targets under the accord. To the topic of this thread, though, even though I support the accord, I don't think that Ms. Ambrose has any right to keep the chairpersonship of the conference, since her Government opposes the accord in its entirety.

I would like to see some action from this Government, in terms of the environment — the Minister has said that she is dropping the accord in lieu of a made-in-Canada solution. However, she hasn't proposed any solutions; in my opinion, she has only spewed conservative rhetoric, written and handed to her from the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I support it to even if the 1990 levels themselves aren't ecologically substainable. The idea is to get things under control first and the adjust the levels from there.

I think she should offer to step aside. That would give the conference committee a chance to decline the offer as a show of good will. smiles all around. its not that complicated. She's just being stubborn. probably following orders in the process.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Whether or not you support or oppose Kyoto is irrelevant. The question is: why would you want to appoint someone who opposes the existence of the accord as our chairwoman to the conference? It's backward logic and counter-productive! Imagine hiring an orchestra director who hates symphonies; or a literacy tutor who thinks the written word should be abolished. If this government really wants to be taken seriously, it's about time they clarify their vision for the future of the environment and what they plan to...you know...do about it!!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

:love3: :love4:
Rona Ambrose is a Babe!The Kyoto Accord is a failure to being with as other Countries such as China and India will not sign on to it..

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Johnny Utah, since the Government of Canada no longer supports the accord, would it not make sense to have the Minister resign and step aside as the chairperson of the conference? Just because we don't support the accord ("we" meaning the official position of the Government of Canada), doesn't mean that we should think it appropriate to sabotage the other signatory nations who believe in good-faith that the accord could still work!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Ambrose Urged to Resign From Conference

FiveParadox said:
Johnny Utah, since the Government of Canada no longer supports the accord, would it not make sense to have the Minister resign and step aside as the chairperson of the conference? Just because we don't support the accord ("we" meaning the official position of the Government of Canada), doesn't mean that we should think it appropriate to sabotage the other signatory nations who believe in good-faith that the accord could still work!
Yeah it would make sense if she did resign. Other then that the Kyoto Accord is a failure it's not the fault of the Conservatives or Liberals it's because in the World point of view it was never really taken that serious to begin with for all to get on board..

Rona Ambrose is still a Babe!
:p

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Actually, five, now they're saying they won't leave it. I realize its not the same as saying they'll work within it but I'm sure its a canned response that'll carry them through to the next election.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Johnny Utah said:
Rona Ambrose is still a Babe!

maybe you think so. probably because she shares a facial tick with Condi.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

BitWhys said:
Actually, five, now they're saying they won't leave it. I realize its not the same as saying they'll work within it but I'm sure its a canned response that'll carry them through to the next election.
Funds to Environment Canada, and to the climate change programs that were in place in terms of this accord, have been decimated under the present budget. Whether or not they are having an identity crises re: Kyoto, the fact remains that the program is dead, at least until the next budget.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
BitWhys said:
do you support it?

yes or no

No. It concerns me that so many people do. The climate models that tell us that global warming is real can't tell us the impact on global warming of attaining the goals of Kyoto.

Seems like we will throw money at the wrong problem.

Now if the problem were pollution, smog in cities and our goal was to reduce smog/pollution that's measurable. And I can get behind a program to reduce.

How the hell do you measure a reduction in global warming?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I realize the concept bucks the trend in a lot of contemporary thought, but the truth is not being able to measure something doesn't mean you get to ignore it.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Ambrose Urged to Resi

I'm not suggesting that we ignore it. I'm suggesting that we pick a solution that is more likely to show some visible results. All Canada needs to do to meet our Kyoto targets is buy a ton of credits from other countries. It may cost us billions but we'll be on side. How does that improve the situation?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Ambrose Urged to Resi

Vicious said:
I'm not suggesting that we ignore it. I'm suggesting that we pick a solution that is more likely to show some visible results. All Canada needs to do to meet our Kyoto targets is buy a ton of credits from other countries. It may cost us billions but we'll be on side. How does that improve the situation?

EXACTLY!

This has GOT top be the most dumb-ass, brain-dead, stupid, ignorant asinine idea ever conceived in the mind of mankind.

Yes, global warming is a fact. Now, the question is "How much has man had to do with the phenomenon, and how much can we slow or stop it, if at all?"

We CERTAINLY will achieve nothing by spending resources buying "credits" for some illusionary nothing in some other country.......I don't get it!

Sounds like a confidence man's dream!