Wear Red for Our Troops

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I got this email today and wanted to pass it along here.

Red Friday

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red
every Friday. The reason? Canadians who support our troops used to be
called the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing
our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not
organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on
TV, to reflect our message or our opinions.

Many Canadians, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize
that the vast majority of Canadians supporting our troops. Our idea of
showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect
starts this Friday -and continues each and every Friday until the troops
all come home, sending a deafening message that.. Every
red-blooded Canadian who supports our men and women afar will wear
something red

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make Canada on every Friday a sea of
red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers. If every one of
us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers,
friends, and family. It will not be long before Canada is covered in RED
and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their
side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things
better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers. Let's get
the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear some
thing red every Friday.

I will be wearing something red. You?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I wish I knew of some major pro-military demonstrations here in Calgary. I would definately bring the family out there to support our troops and their current commendable mission is Agfhanistan. Its about time we make ourselves heard above the selfish, anti military/NDP crowd activists......

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
bluealberta said:
We are no longer silent, and are voicing
our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. ...We need your support and your prayers.

Why do all you right wingers have to bring your god into things? This atheist wore a Canadian army uniform for 16 years and never needed to bring the non-existant deity into it.

I love Canada and always will, and I've worn the uniform proudly. So stop telling people how to love their country. I won't pray, as talking to myself does nothing, but I'll keep flying my Canadian flags at my desk and on my license plate.

Keep Canada the noble secular nation that it is. Don't let it become like the US.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well said thecdn.

then again, when they assemble maybe somebody should provide a cool-aid stand.......

Troop-lovers/nation-lovers are just brainwashed masses sucking on the propaganda pipe a little too much.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Wear Red for Our Troops

the caracal kid said:
well said thecdn.

then again, when they assemble maybe somebody should provide a cool-aid stand.......

Troop-lovers/nation-lovers are just brainwashed masses sucking on the propaganda pipe a little too much.
:roll: :roll:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Wear Red for Our Troops

Hank C said:
... the selfish, anti military/NDP crowd activists......

ok

I'll bite

what makes the NDP "anti military"(sic)?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
thecdn said:
bluealberta said:
our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. ...We need your support and your prayers.

Why do all you right wingers have to bring your god into things? This atheist wore a Canadian army uniform for 16 years and never needed to bring the non-existant deity into it.

Why do lefty atheists always get their knickers in a knot every time someone mentions God? Are you guys that insecure in your disbelief that you can't stand God being mentioned?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
jay,

history teaches us that when a group of the abrahamic followers get together as mentioned, quite often those not supporting the deity version of the mob end up on the pointy end of the sword.

Look at this "red day" topic again. A group of people looking to share a "love of god" and a self-justification for killing those not of their group. The classic example of what is dangerous and regressive about the abrahamics.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Jay said:
Why do lefty atheists always get their knickers in a knot every time someone mentions God? Are you guys that insecure in your disbelief that you can't stand God being mentioned?

On the contrary, it is the theists with their constant need to reference their god, 10 Suggestions, et al in public along with displaying their jesus fish stickers and chains that show their insecurity and need to keep their hopes up.

A prime example is the uproar over the upcoming DaVinci Code movie. It's fiction, based on a novel. Why get so upset? Unless of course it hits to close to home and might actually start people thinking...... :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suggest people read the book, see the footage and read up on Gnostics and try to understand both sides of the issue. It worked for me.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I know it's a moot point, however wearing red isn't exactly a sign of solidarity towards the Canadian Forces. Yellow would be a more appropriate colour...the whole yellow ribbon campaign and the very basis for said campaign, the song:

Around her neck she wore a yellow ribbon
She wore it in the springtime
And in the month of May
And if you ask me why the heck she wore it
She wore it for her soldier who was far far away

Far away, far away
She wore it for her soldier
Who was far, far away

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
thecdn said:
bluealberta said:

Keep Canada the noble secular nation that it is. Don't let it become like the US.

Hurray thecdn ! I am usually the only athiest willing to out myself in this judgemental christian environment. And that you served in the Cdn military makes athiesm just that much more validated. Thanks for that!!

That this hesitation exists at all is a black mark on christians, as it shows their lack of acceptance of "others opinions".

Anyways, getting back to the military and wearing RED on FRIDAYS: - I would have done it to show support for our troops, but there may be some implications in the wearing of red that will kill this little exersize right out the starting gate.
TWO of these implications are:
- a belief in god [religious association stated]
- support for the Afghan mission {not stated as one of the purposes of these red fridays, but I suspect Peter McKay told you religious minions to do it just for this reason]

So, no thanks. I will be wearing colors that would turn red into green [blue?] . That will show my rejection of the "bloody corporate warmongering religious fossil-fools" who are behind the creation of these wars in Arab lands. Its about the oil, and NO, I do not support that!!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
thecdn said:
Jay said:

On the contrary, it is the theists with their constant need to reference their god, 10 Suggestions, et al in public along with displaying their jesus fish stickers and chains that show their insecurity and need to keep their hopes up.

A prime example is the uproar over the upcoming DaVinci Code movie. It's fiction, based on a novel. Why get so upset? Unless of course it hits to close to home and might actually start people thinking...... :wink:
I have nothing against Atheists, my girl friend considers herself as one and I'm Catholic, but I don't do the church thing etc hell I was booted out of a Catholic School.. :lol:

I understand you're point of view of having Religion almost shoved down you're throat as my girl friend says the same thing..

As for the uproar of the Da Vinci Code, I know Christians and Catholics who want to see it, so the reaction of a few groups doesn't reprsent everyone. I plan on seeing it even though I never read the book..

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Wear Red for Our Troo

red can't be made into green BTW, best you could get is purple with blue, or orange with yellow :D

Hank C- what makes anti-colonialism types "selfish" as you described?? not wanting other people to die for NO reason isn't exactly my idea of selfishness, but maybe that's just me

And as to the article in the top post- WAY too much US-style "patriotism" implied AND actually referenced, like the "homecoming football game" thing... if they'd also mentioned Apple Pie and maybe Harley Davidsons the article would seem, to the observant person, to be laughable US propaganda IMO

And besides that, the reasons stated above about implicit agreement with the Afghanistan charade AND the whole silly "god" thing would make this a non-starter for open-minded types like myself (and I'm more of an atheist/agnostic as well, I kinda believe in the Force or something like it, and in my own abilities to figure out right and wrong)

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Karlin said:
Hurray thecdn ! I am usually the only athiest willing to out myself in this judgemental christian environment. And that you served in the Cdn military makes athiesm just that much more validated. Thanks for that!!

You are welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

After living in the southern US for 7 years, I feel like the character in the move Network; "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!" :wink:

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Johnny Utah said:
I have nothing against Atheists, my girl friend considers herself as one and I'm Catholic, but I don't do the church thing etc hell I was booted out of a Catholic School.. :lol:

I understand you're point of view of having Religion almost shoved down you're throat as my girl friend says the same thing..

As for the uproar of the Da Vinci Code, I know Christians and Catholics who want to see it, so the reaction of a few groups doesn't reprsent everyone. I plan on seeing it even though I never read the book..

Johnny Utah and I agreeing on two different things in the same post?!?! Is this SpongeBob Opposite Day or something?

PS - I always find it better to read the book after the movie as it usually flushes out the story better. I'm sometimes disappointed with a movie after reading the book because it has to leave so much out. But in this case even though I've read the book, I'm still eager to see the movie.