Liberals Demand Vellacott's Resignation

Should Mr. Vellacott resign as the Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Chairperson?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition today demanded that Maurice Vellacott, M.P., the Member for Saskatchewan—Wenuskewin and the Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, resign from his position of a Committee Chair. The calls for his resignation were prompted by Mr. Vellacott's attempts to throw the Supreme Court of Canada — and, in particular, for personal insults and attacks against the Right Honourable Beverly McLachlin, P.C., the Chief Justice of Canada.

The Web site for the [color=red said:
Liberal Party of Canada[/color]]For years, Conservatives who did not like our democratically-adopted laws have been attacking our judges,” said Liberal Opposition Leader Bill Graham. “But this weekend Mr. Vellacott went too far. The Prime Minister must ask Mr. Vellacott to resign as Chair of the Aboriginal Affairs.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
RE: Liberals Demand Vella

Is that particular judge expected to sit at the bench on any aboriginal justice issue in the SCoC?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that the demand that he resign as Chair is more of a notion of discipline that it is anything particular to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada. However, it is of course reasonable to assume that Justice McLachlin would, of course, come across such issues on the bench.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
RE: Liberals Demand Vella

That's what I figured. Then he has no business controlling the direction of policy in such an area.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm leerie of any politician who, while in public and in official capacity, doesn't respect the highest court in the land.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Re: RE: Liberals Demand Vellacott's Resignation

Kreskin said:
I'm leerie of any politician who, while in public and in official capacity, doesn't respect the highest court in the land.

And they called it, a secret agenda. If Harper is allowed a full term, he will have the country running for cover, as well the eyes of the world block of investors would look at Canada with some justified doubt, asking the question is Canada indeed a safe place to park their money? Tradition has shown business doesn’t indorse extreme political iron fisted Governments. When ever an Iron fisted Government is voted in for a full term, a visible number of businesses moves out of the country while the cost of the move justifies the four year gain from a lesser restrictive then a Tory regime, "my way or the highway”, “do as I say, and not as I do". Hypocrisy all over, in order to perpetuate to a grip of power which will do nothing but financially hurt Canada as past Tory recorded history. The Tories attacking the judiciary has to do with the secret wish to have all Governmental out let including the higher courts all painted Blue. Completely disregarding tradition and democracy, while pursuing self interest of an extreme right hidden vision.