• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Canada is way too humanitarian. We always think that we need to come to the rescue when some country is in trouble. But when Canadians need help, we get the finger.

The government is debating whether or not we should help the people of Darfur. I don't think we should help these people. Its the UN's responsibility.

Same thing with Afghanistan. We should immediately pull our troops out. The only reason Canada wants to keep our troops there is so we can be friends with the U.S. Well guess what?

SCREW THE AMERICANS!!!!!

I think its about time we start helping the Canadian people before we start helping everyone else.

And just for the record everyone, I feel bad for these people. But its not our responsibility.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
JonB2004 said:
Canada is way too humanitarian. We always think that we need to come to the rescue when some country is in trouble. But when Canadians need help, we get the finger.

The government is debating whether or not we should help the people of Darfur. I don't think we should help these people. Its the UN's responsibility.

Same thing with Afghanistan. We should immediately pull our troops out. The only reason Canada wants to keep our troops there is so we can be friends with the U.S. Well guess what?

SCREW THE AMERICANS!!!!!

I think its about time we start helping the Canadian people before we start helping everyone else.

And just for the record everyone, I feel bad for these people. But its not our responsibility.

You might feel even worse once the orphans left behind come of age. Not in Darfur particularly, but in other places where adult members of societies are being decimated from things like aids.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
For the Darfur region, the U.N doesn't sprout out arms and people and equipment. They need equipment and supplies and as a U.N member, if Canada is asked it should provide.

Humanitarinism is what makes Canada great. It was started by some good leftist, internationalists, for example Lestor Pearson and others. And it should continue!

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island
JonB2004 said:

SCREW THE AMERICANS!!!!!
Your first comment is contradictory. IF Canada goes "to the rescue when some country is in trouble" but gives the finger to Canadians in need, then there's nothing humanitarian about it. That would be inconsistent - which Canadian policy may well be.

As for Darfur, intervention should have happened long ago, no matter the rationale, whether for humanitarian or strictly pragmatic reasons. We live in a global world. Pragmatically, what happens 'over there' will, eventually, affect us here. Arguing that Darfur is the UN's responsibility only helps make the point, since Canada is a member of the UN and may be called upon to support UN resolutions.

As for Afghanistan, Canada is not there because of the USians*, but as part of a NATO coalition. Moreover, our troops are there to help rebuild the country and increase the security of its citizens while doing so.

Given that Canada (and most other Western nations) has not lived up to its promise to provide 0.7% of its GDP to foreign aid, in no way can we claim to be too humanitarian. The reverse is the case. We're not humanitarian enough.

*I do not use 'America' or 'American'. There's a lot more to the Americas than the USA.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Canada is too humanit

What a silly thing to say Jon. As one of the wealthiest states in the world, we have an obligation to help less fortunate countries. I'm surprised that a leftist like you would be so isolationist, and ignoring the plight of those who, frankly, need far more in aid than almost any Canadian citizen.

Many of the people living on our streets are in better shape than the peoples of the nations that we give aid to.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

If separating from the UN is the only way Canada is going to stop being so humanitarian, then so be it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Canada's Humanitarianism

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]Canada is way too humanitarian. We always think that we need to come to the rescue when some country is in trouble. But when Canadians need help, we get the finger.
I don't agree, JonB2004. I would suggest that Canada has a practice of making calculated decisions when it comes to determining whether or not we should extend our own resources to assist other nations, and I think that more-often-than-not, these decisions are made in good faith and are as correct as subjective decisions such as those can be.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]The government is debating whether or not we should help the people of Darfur. I don't think we should help these people. Its the UN's responsibility.
In my opinion, the United Nations are the minimum of assistance that should be provided — other nations can, and should, feel free to extend their own resources and their own initiatives on top of those of the U.N. in the interest of endeavouring for a faster resolution to whatever issues may be affecting the region-in-question. I think that assisting others, whether or not they are within the borders of one's own nation, should not only be everyone's prerogative, but everyone's duty.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]Same thing with Afghanistan. We should immediately pull our troops out. The only reason Canada wants to keep our troops there is so we can be friends with the U.S. Well guess what?
I don't think that we should be removing ourselves from the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan at this time — I think that we are there in the interest of promoting a future friendship between Afghanistan and Canada, and to promote the proper course of democratic reform within their country. I think that this is of immense value to Canada, and the interests of the United States of America (with do respect to our southern neighbours) are entirely secondary in this intervention.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]SCREW THE AMERICANS!!!!!
This is a hornet's nest, I think I'm gonna just skip over this one.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]I think its about time we start helping the Canadian people before we start helping everyone else.
We here in Canada have it a lot better than people in some other nations — Canadians have been, and are going to continue to be, the first priority, notwithstanding whichever party forms the government. However, when we have it pretty good, and there are other nations with so little, in the midst of struggle, I would be quite disappointed if our government did nothing more than turned up their noses at them.

[i said:
JonB2004[/i]]And just for the record everyone, I feel bad for these people. But its not our responsibility.
Yes, I feel bad for these people too. But it's not our pity they need, or want — it's the assistance of fellow human beings to ensure that these people's children don't have to live in the same kind of world that they might now. I don't see anything wrong with offering a helping hand to other nations in need.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Re: RE: Canada is too humanit

LittleRunningGag said:
What a silly thing to say Jon. As one of the wealthiest states in the world, we have an obligation to help less fortunate countries. I'm surprised that a leftist like you would be so isolationist, and ignoring the plight of those who, frankly, need far more in aid than almost any Canadian citizen.

Many of the people living on our streets are in better shape than the peoples of the nations that we give aid to.

I think Jon falls into the category of "selfist"

Roger

Nominee Member
May 2, 2006
Atlantic
www.exporail.org

LittleRunningGag said:

We are way too humanitarian, and just because we have something doesn't oblige us to give it away. Let's get our own homeless off of the streets and make jobs for Newfys and other Maritimers before we try and reconstruct somebody else. Foreign Aid is NOT why I pay GST.

Let's take care of our own first, before we try and take on the world.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Roger said:
We are way too humanitarian, and just because we have something doesn't oblige us to give it away. Let's get our own homeless off of the streets and make jobs for Newfys and other Maritimers before we try and reconstruct somebody else. Foreign Aid is NOT why I pay GST.

Let's take care of our own first, before we try and take on the world.

Thank you, Roger. I'm happy that you agree with me.

I'm disgusted at people in this forum who believe that it is okay to help the rest of the world before we help our own people.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Anyone who thinks we should keep handing out foreign aid is an idiot.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Jon, can you cool it on claiming everyone is an "idiot" who doesn't agree with you.