Victims of Crime Awareness Week

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
L'honourable Vic Toews, C.P., M.P., le député de Provencher, le ministre de la Justice et le procureur général du Canada, a donné une parole au sujet de la Semaine nationale de sensibilitation aux victimes d'actes criminels. Cette année, le thème de la Semaine, c'est « Des gens, des services, des lois : les connaissez-vous? » Le ministre a réitéré la dédication du gouvernement du Canada aux droites de victimes. (For a translation, please see ¶1.)

The [color=blue said:
Hon. Vic Toews[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Many of you here today know first-hand that crime can have a devastating effect on individuals, their families, and communities. During this first National Victims of Crime Awareness Week, we will promote the issues and concerns experienced by victims of crime, and raise awareness about their needs.

Click here to read the entire speech in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière en français.
:arrow: My Opinion on Victims' Rights

Whereas the rights of victims of crime should be recognized and be deemed of immense importance, and whereas the Government of Canada has a duty to ensure that its legislation and endeavours recognize the rights of these victims while ensuring that persons accused of crimes are given unbiased and non-partisan access to the process of justice, I would support the efforts of the present Government to strengthen the rights of victims and make the community aware of their situations and their suffering — however, I don't think that the victims of crimes should have any active part in the administration of justice in terms of the person accused of having committed any such crime. While we should recognize the trauma that victims are put through, we must ensure that the administration of justice is free of the passion and emotion of the victims.

:?: La traduction

(¶1) The Honourable Vic Toews, P.C., M.P., the Member for Provencher, the Minister of Justice and the Attorney General of Canada, delivered a speech in terms of the National Victims of Crime Awareness Week. This year, the theme of the Week is "People, Services, Laws: Did you know?" The Minister reiterated the dedication of the Government of Canada to victims' rights.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Government of Canada.