Underlying racist tensions brought to forefront

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
CALEDONIA, Ont., (CP) - As the uneasy peace between police and native protesters occupying a half-finished housing development in this southwestern Ontario community continued Friday, some residents of this town of 10,000 grew frustrated with the standoff that has erupted in their back yards.

Catcalls and taunts flew between white residents in town and the native protesters demonstrating near the construction site, each camp separated by a barrier set up by police after two men nearly came to blows earlier this week.

Pat McKillop, who has lived in the town for eight years, said racial tension has long been a part of the rural community.

"I know a lot of guys in town that have a prejudice against natives, they feel they get too many privileges," said McKillop, 53.

"There's lots of fights at hockey games," he added.

"Some of the natives don't stand for the anthem and it bothers a lot of people. You hear things like, 'If you don't stand up for Canada you should get...out of the rink.'"

"This conflict is just going to fuel that hate even more."

Curious onlookers and angry locals linger day and night near the fortified barrier that keeps them from hundreds of aboriginal demonstrators that have blocked off the main road through town since Thursday. Demonstrators began an occupation Feb. 28 of land they say was stolen from them.

Keeping to a safe distance from across the road, one man yells "coward" at a protester whose face is covered by a bandanna.

"Come here and take it off," the protester yells back.

Like most of the exchanges, the bravado on both sides evaporates after the brief outburst and each man returns to their own camp.

The most intense confrontation came Thursday night, when hot heads on both sides pulled weapons and nearly come to blows.

After a series of catcalls, two men ended up nose-to-nose, one holding a crowbar, the other a baseball bat. They were pulled apart before anything could happen.

"We don't need to be the problem, we have a bigger fight coming up," said one protester.

Other residents are simply captivated by the carnival.

A couple that lives on the other side of the barrier watched the drama unfold from their front porch, chatting over coffee and debating the issues with neighbours and strangers alike.

"We've been here all day and (the protesters) have done nothing wrong," said one woman who asked not to be named.

She said she was disgusted by stories she heard of police raiding the compound early Thursday morning, allegedly using Tasers and tear gas to subdue the crowd.

"I'm embarrassed to be Canadian right now," she said, and added she was horrified to hear one woman matter-of-factly ask, "Have (the police) shot them all yet?"

Protester Clyde Powless said area residents have nothing to fear from the demonstration.

"People of the town have to understand we're not looking to evict nobody," Powless said.

"We are here to say, basically, our land is disappearing too fast. We feel like if we don't make a stand and the government don't wake up pretty soon we're not going to have what we have and what we have is a great tradition."

Herb Geddes, who lives in a smaller neighbouring community, drove into town to lend his support to the natives and their battle.

"A lot more Canadians need to take a stand," said Geddes, of Jordan Station, Ont.

"This is their land. I'd like to see Stephen Harper step up to the plate and get a result to this real quick."

One elderly woman said she worries the standoff will polarize the town forever.

"Our schools are affected, businesses and people are scared," she said.

"It involves everybody and I hope it doesn't lead to mistrust."

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n042179A.xml

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
From which side is this underlying racist tension coming from?
One side or both sides? If one side which side and how does the author know what the other side is saying?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
I would like to see a honest native reporter do a scoop on the reserve community's viewpoints. The real skinny, not the laundered stuff PC says we should get dished up.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Refusing to stand up for the national anthem?! Hey, you don't like Canada, I say go back to your home country, that's what I say. :wink:

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
Machjo wrote:

Refusing to stand up for the national anthem?! Hey, you don't like Canada, I say go back to your home country, that's what I say.

In a strange way that is what the natives are trying to do, reclaim thier lost country!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Lotuslander said:
Machjo wrote:

Refusing to stand up for the national anthem?! Hey, you don't like Canada, I say go back to your home country, that's what I say.

In a strange way that is what the natives are trying to do, reclaim thier lost country!
I know. That's the point I was trying to make, but I thought sarcasm would make it clearer.