Morgan to Chair Appointments Commission

Do you support Mr. Morgan being named as the Public Appointments Commission chair?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond¹

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, announced today the appointment of Mr. Gwyn Morgan as the Chairperson of the Public Appointments Commission. The Commission would be created upon the adoption of Bill C-2, which was introduced in the House of Commons at the beginning of the present session. The purpose of this Commission would be to supervise and report on appointments made by the Governor General of Canada, on the advice of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada (such advice is given, in practice, only by the Ministers of the Crown, and this practice is often referred to as being appointed by the "Governor in Council").

The Web site for the [color=blue said:
Office of the Prime Minister of Canada[/color]]Gwyn Morgan, from Calgary, Alberta, has led the building of one of the world's leading oil and gas companies and Canada's largest energy company, EnCana Corporation. Mr. Morgan was President and Chief Executive Officer of EnCana from 2002 until stepping down on January 1, 2006. Mr. Morgan is counted among Canada's most respected business leaders and his accomplishments have been recognized through numerous awards and honorary distinctions, including being named Canada's most respected CEO in 2005 in a survey conducted by Ipsos Reid.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: Appointment of Morgan

I would have liked to see someone who wasn't so much involved in corporate Canada (not that corporations are a bad thing — more in terms of a change in pace and face, I suppose), but I would not consider myself to be in overt opposition to the appointment of Mr. Morgan; I would assert, as per the information given by the source Web site, that he would be a good person for the job.

For greater certainty, it should be noted that this Commission would not be a body of the House of Commons and, therefore, would not be subject to Mr. Harper's promise to have Chairpersons elected by their members (despite the fact that he has quite obviously gone in another direction on that front entirely).

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.

:!: Revision : (1) Added a "Don't know / Prefer not to respond" option to the survey.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well with a Corperate lacky such as him being placed into this posistion he might as well be a conservative or a right wing liberal. *shrugs* I do not think the PM should have the power to appoint the watch dog but one a by-partisan committtee perhaps.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Le projet de loi C-2, ce n'est pas déjà adopté par la Chambre des communes. Si nous demanderons de nos députés et députées à essayer de changer le projet de loi, peut-être nous pouvons convaincre le nouveau gouvernement du Canada² de considerer des quelques changements mineurs³ (comme le processus qui est utilisé pour choisir le Président de la Commission des nominations publiques)¹.

:?: Translation (Trying to develop my second language, le français!)
(¶1) Bill C-2 hasn't been passed yet by the House of Commons. If we were to ask our Members of Parliament to attempt to change the bill, maybe we could convince the new Government of Canada to consider some minor changes (such as the process used to select the Chairperson of the Public Appointments Commission).

:!: Révision : (1, 2, 3) Des erreurs de la dactylographie a été corrigés.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Paradox, I never have enough time to practive my french unless I go to Quebec or France, where I need to use it. So..... yeah...

But I think the PM having the right to appoint such a posistion is somewhat counter productive to what the posistion is. We might as well save the money and not have the psosition.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Morgan to Chair Appoi

The Web site for the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada wrote:
Gwyn Morgan, from Calgary, Alberta, has led the building of one of the world's leading oil and gas companies and Canada's largest energy company, EnCana Corporation. Mr. Morgan was President and Chief Executive Officer of EnCana from 2002 until stepping down on January 1, 2006. Mr. Morgan is counted among Canada's most respected business leaders and his accomplishments have been recognized through numerous awards and honorary distinctions, including being named Canada's most respected CEO in 2005 in a survey conducted by Ipsos Reid.

This appointment is also an exact copy of the Washington situation, rule by oil and corporation, most respected CEO just that alone should disqualify him for public office. Can there be any question about what forms of life he will appoint?