Should the government keep giving money to the First Peoples

Should the government keep giving money to the First Peoples?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Should the government keep giving money to the First Peoples?

The government spend billions of our tax dollars every year on First Peoples targeted services. Should this continue to happen? They pay absolutely no taxes. What our ancestors did to the First Peoples happen over 25 years ago. Isn't it about time they got over it and got on with their lives. I'm tired of hearing them bitch all the time. Yes, they will never get their culture back and you can't put a price on that. But bitching will never bring it back. I think its about time our government got some backbone and cut them off the system. They should be paying taxes like everyone else.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
RE: Should the government keep giving money to the First Peo

The last froced residential school closed in BC in the 1980's. That's hardly 100 years ago. And when did the natives get the right to vote? In the 1960's! I think you need to revise your maths.

Now according to treaty rights, we'd have to give the natives massive tracts of land Canada-wide since we violated our side of the agreements. Add to that that these treaties were signed by separate peoples (i.e., the indians being equal to Canadians as two signatory nations). this means that it's not a matter of majority vote, since technically the whites are a conquering and occupational people on the Canadian land. thus the natives would have legitimate claims to take back this land as a separate people.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I voted no in this pole. Rather than give money to the natives as a feel-good tactic, we ought to fulfil our treaty obligations which we f-ing signed! What? Whites can sign anything to get their way and then once they outgun the natives, fk the agreement! Wow, now that's civilization and strength of character I tell ya. If we did nothing more than KEPT OUR WORD (unless a white man's word or signature means nothing anymore), the natives would get a f-ing hell of a lot more than they're getting now with some money thrown at them from the people who raped their land... and them. they'd get their rightful land back. Adn according to treaty rights and historical evidence, they'd get a hell of a lot of land, including much land currenty sustaining residential projects.

If whites were worth their word, a lot of people would suddenly find themselves payng their taxes to native governments.

Just my thoughts. But hey, what's a signature anyway? And who cares about justice as long as we have the biggest guns. As Jesus said, "might makes right". Oh, you can't find that one in the bible? Well, just keep looking until you do. trust me, it's there somewhere. And if it's not, well, it still applies.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Re: Should the government keep giving money to the First Peo

Machjo.
What do you think about Mongolia?
China give it back?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Should the government

Well, we're not going to give them their land back, so dream on.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Actually, if I'm not mystaken, the Island of Montreal technically belongs to the Mohawks!

So what do you say. We stop giving them money and abide by the treaties which we signed?

Also, i remember reading that there are entire towns which could be legitimately claimed as native lands in BC, according to historical precedent! I can't remeber where exactly though, but it was in the BC interrior or North West if I remember correctly. It made it to court but the court's answer was vaguely worded somewhat implying that the issue was too political for the court to make a strict legal judgement!

Terrible when the court is afraid of going by the law out of fear of mob rule. that was about ten years ago if AI remember correctly. But I'll look further into it. I'm sure it's still on-line somewhere. I'll get back in a few days with that info.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

zoofer said:
Machjo.
What do you think about Mongolia?
China give it back?

Now that's the standard :roll:

If it's OK for someone else, it's OK for us. :D

Going on the same line of thought, Hitler exterminated Jews, so heck, why can't we do the same to the natives. How's tht for setting an example.

So Zoof, is Canada supposed to lead China by example, or is China supposed to lead Canada by example. Seems to me you'd rather follow China's lead.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

We should stop giving them money and not give them their land. We can't afford to give them anymore money and we can't just throw everyone out of Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Should the government

JonB2004 said:
Well, we're not going to give them their land back, so dream on.

I fully agree! If those natives thought they could sign an agreement with the Europeans and have it respected, boy were they stupid! they really didn't know what they were dealing with now did they. Well at least now they know better than to trust a white man. Welcome to teh school of hard knocks.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Should the government

JonB2004 said:
We should stop giving them money and not give them their land. We can't afford to give them anymore money and we can't just throw everyone out of Canada.

Who said throwing everyone out of Canada. It would just mean that rather than them living by our laws, we'd be living by theirs.

When in Rome... Remember that one, or does it only apply when WE are the Romans :wink:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Do you know both of Canada's official languages?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine

I'd like you to stop bitching and complaining.

The last residential school closed in 1996 so that was just ten years ago in Regina. With the systematical distruction and attempted genocide, of Aboriginal people over the years you either pay up until they are on their feet because you can't just let them go until they are on their feet, because if you do you are just an f*ing prick.

And there are two agreements in Nisga'a and in Nunavut when they pay taxes after a certain time period.

So start being fair to natives and let them on their feet with equal resource rights, full percentage to the resources in the territory that they have claimed throughout time and no bullshit, then you can stop paying for them.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm not a prick. I don't expect them to get off the system right away. I think we should cut them one last deal, give them a formal apology, and move on with life.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Do you know both of Canada's official languages?
Can you sing the national anthem in both official languages?

Do you know Canadian history (based on your comment about the mistreatment of natives being over 100 years ago, I'd say no).

I might live outside Canada's borders, but my passport still says I'm Canadian, and I can read everything on it in both English and French.

Now as far as my bloodline is concerned, I don't consider it to be relevent, but I sustpect it might be to you so here it is:

I have some Indigenous blood along with French Canadian going back to New France for the last 400 years. My father is British, so I think that covers the three major groups in Canada. I'd lived in BC, Ontario and Quebec, and even taught English as a Foreign Language in a Secondary school in the province of Quebec, and also worked as a French-English interpreter. Hey, I was one of the guy's helping to to bridge English and French Canada. Whadda ya know.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I speak English and a bit of French. I know some history, but not a whole lot. I'm really young, so I'm still learning it. I was born here in Canada, in Quebec to be more specific. And I'm British, German, French-Canadian, and I have some aboriginal in my blood line.