Reform to Prevent Dictatorships

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In recent weeks, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, has tightened the control of his Cabinet to a degree so as to make the Government of Canada a one-man show, so to speak.

While watching an interesting roundtable on democratic reform on CPAC, a man named Andrew Coyne, a journalist for the National Post, suggested that perhaps we should "roll back" one of the democratic steps we took many years ago, in the interest of restoring democracy to our parliamentary institutions. He suggested that, perhaps, we should go back to the practice of only permitting caucus members to vote for the leader of a party. Now, before I am bombarded with posts accusing me of being opposed to democracy, permit me to elaborate.

During the first decades of Confederation in Canada, the leaders of parties were elected only by members of the caucus. This meant that party leaders, including prime ministers, would need to keep good relationships with their Ministers and their members, lest their caucuses decide that they were no longer an appropriate choice to lead them. The Prime Minister had just as much reason to fear his or her own Ministers, as they did to fear him or her — the dynamics of the relationship went both ways. Where the Prime Minister could dismiss someone from Cabinet, the Cabinet could force a Prime Minister into resignation.

However, in modern Canada, our party leaders are now elected at conventions. This means that these leaders are often seen as having more of a mandate than anyone else in the party — this also means that if a Minister or a member disagrees with the leader, then that Minister or member is guaranteed a one-ticket trip to independence — in the House of Commons. The caucus doesn't need to support the leader, so long as the leader was elected some months ago at a convention. This means that the leader can threaten his own members and Ministers, through whatever means are at his or her disposal, to ensure that his or her policies are the only ones reflected in Government.

I think that this "modern" practice is a mistake, and has made our Prime Minister less accountable to the people.

We should go back to caucus-only elections for party leaders, in my opinion.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The original convention was for the caucus of the party (the members in either the House of Commons or the Senate) to elect their own leader, so as to ensure that that leader would have the support, and co-operation, of the caucus. Policies were adopted later on, to make the leaders elected by party members; but this appears to be causing problems, where the leader no longer feels responsible to the party.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I share your concerns 5Par. What has been the response to Andrew Coyne's proposal? I would think the Ministers are less than thrilled with the direction Harper's leadership has taken with regards to how and when they may address the public. Can they overturn the policies Harper is presently implementing around their media relations?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As the system works now, there is nothing to Ministers can do to overrule the Prime Minister, short of going against his orders and being expelled from caucus. Decades ago, if a situation such as this had unfolded, and the Ministers didn't approve of the leadership of the Prime Minister (or the caucus of their party leader, not necessarily only the governing party), then the Ministers and the caucus could force the Prime Minister into resignation.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
This just seems so undemocratic to me. Is there no movement within the caucus to do something about it? If not, that is also shocking to me. Are they just gonna lie down and accept the muzzles being strapped on them?