PUBLICATION: Edmonton Journal
DATE: 2006.04.12
EDITION: Final
SECTION: News
PAGE: A2
COLUMN: Alan Kellogg
BYLINE: Alan Kellogg
SOURCE: The Edmonton Journal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military finally gets some respect: The public has long regarded a military career as something reserved for losers or weirdos, but now there are encouraging signs these perceptions are changing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday night, there was a non-voting House of Commons debate on Canada's participation in Afghanistan. It turned out to be a bit of a snorefest -- which made you wonder why the previous Liberal government and the newly minted Harper Tories were so reluctant to allow a quickie public hearing of sorts.

Yes, there was a brief dustup between base-sensitive NDP Leader Jack Layton and Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor -- whose prickly ways will get him into trouble eventually -- but it passed. Stephen Harper didn't even bother to show up. While the New Democrats raised a couple of cautionary flags, they basically signed on to the action for now, joined by the Bloc Quebecois, which distilled the intervention into keeping the dreaded Taliban on the run. For obvious reasons, the Liberals -- now led by former defence minister Bill Graham -- held their powder, too, staunchly reaffirming their commitment. Common to all the voices were myriad glowing declarations of support for our troops. That seems a slam dunk as well, as if any non-lunatic contemporary politician anywhere could blame frontline soldiers for the perceived mistakes of their masters. But, then, a majority of Canadians have long been deeply ambivalent about matters military. Mission distinctions between peacekeeping, nation-building, policing and the like are rarely discussed here, and widely understood less.

Daily, we hear American leaders (and Brits too, among others) proffering perfumed kudos to brave troops, obscuring code for staying the course of disastrous wars, or masking deep reservations. Given a profound national dislike of George W. Bush, just about anything that even vaguely smacks of foreign policy linkage with the U.S. is considered unsavoury or worse.

On the Canadian left, the once-proud internationalist notion that true sovereignty demands a well-equipped, independent armed force has in essence given way to that mistrust. Traditionally, lip service to the military has been paid on the right and to a lesser degree in the big centre, but, until fairly recently, the idea of paying for it was another matter. In these parts, health care, education, tax cuts, child care, crime, "corruption," national unity and a handful of other hot buttons have ruled. And whatever politicians or polled voters might have said publicly, it has been a lie that Canadians have genuinely respected our men and women in the Forces. For years, we have ridiculed them, tossing off one-liners as convoys of ancient Dinky toy trucks rumbled down the summer highways. In Spain or Australia, say, the idea of a middle-class kid choosing a career in the military is considered perfectly reasonable -- honourable, even. And sensible, factoring in the educational possibilities. In our hearts, we know that that has not been the case here. It's been regarded as a job for losers -- for casualties of depressed regions, for the slower-witted, for, well, weirdos.

I'll never forget a conversation I had with a former in-law some years ago. He had just mustered out of a multi-year stint in the Canadian Forces. It shouldn't matter, but, for the record, he was a bright and gentle soul, a centre-leftist politically, with a couple of degrees. The last I heard, he had gone on to become a successful major library administrator. I asked him what he would miss, and not surprisingly he mentioned the camaraderie, the pride of representing Canada abroad and in the Far North. What he wouldn't lament were the strange looks he received when walking Canadian big city streets in uniform. You're regarded as a freak, he said sadly, and he had grown weary of trying to explain what he did in the rare instances anyone was remotely interested.

There are encouraging signs that these perceptions are changing, and changing where it counts -- in the hearts and minds of the people. In Edmonton today, particularly in the north end, it's no longer unusual to see folks in uniform. Not so long ago in a Superstore aisle, I witnessed a couple of soldiers approached by a well-turned-out young mother, child in tow. "Thanks for doing this," she mumbled, extending a hand. "We're with you."

That's anecdotal of course, and it's true that serious anxiety exists over potential foreign entanglements, not without reason. But recent opinion surveys have also indicated massive public support, acknowledging the efforts Forces personnel are making on behalf of the Afghans.

Here and elsewhere, various celebrations honouring the military seem to have taken on a larger and more sincere cast. Remembrance Day poppies can lately be seen on the lapels of urban hipsters, unimaginable a few years ago. The new war museum in Ottawa is the hottest museum ticket in town.

Politicians have noticed. The long slide of military neglect can rightly be assigned to the Chretien Liberals, but that started in earnest during the Mulroney years. The Martin government began making moves at redress, and from his first utterances as PM Stephen Harper has promised to accelerate that process. We shall see, as other briefs press on. It's important for Canadians to stay on top of international developments, and to be very careful that our men and women in uniform expose themselves to danger only for sound humanitarian reasons. Our national antimilitaristic DNA surely has a downside, but remaining wary of war and the instruments of armed conflict as a problem solver is something to treasure. Questions should, must be asked.

But neither should we tether to any particular foreign action the importance of materially restoring the dignity of a long-neglected sector. The most independent, peacefully inclined nations on earth regard this as a sovereign duty, and it's about time we did so, too. It must stretch beyond rhetoric, and we must be willing to pay for it.

akellogg@thejournal.canwest.com

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for sharing that article Mogz. I personaly have been spat on and called "Pucking Military Bi%^h". My husband and his co-workers were afraid to wear their flight suits off base because of abuse from Civies. Sad very sad that the Military is good enough for the "Ordinary Canadian only went it suits their personel agendas and when a community is in crisis." Hello Canada we have an army for the average Joe and your communities there is the Red Cross and the Salavation Army. I like to think what goes around comes around.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I don't know what I would do if someone spat on me. Because soldiers can't touch any civilian.

However, so far all I have received is honking horns from several vehicles and several waving people. Maybe most viewpoints have changed in some areas.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
you know
believe it or not
i do respect the people in the military
its a job-- like ive said before
but-- a tough job
in real life i would never insult a member of the military
because -- believe it or not--- i really have nothing against them
when i fight with you guys on the net--- its not you im fighting but the unjust forces that -- i think--- sometimes use you

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Military Finally Gets Some Respect

cortezzz said:
you know
believe it or not
i do respect the people in the military
its a job-- like ive said before
but-- a tough job
in real life i would never insult a member of the military
because -- believe it or not--- i really have nothing against them
when i fight with you guys on the net--- its not you im fighting but the unjust forces that -- i think--- sometimes use you

That is a nice comment Cortezz, now if other people who don't like the military or 'the unjust forces' that maybe leading it would be the same and not attack or make comments at Canadian soldiers or their relatives or family members.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
well im not innocent
and... its a two way street
you know
sometimes the civies are attacked for their left wing views -- or pacifist views-- they take it personally and attack back personally

its natural that may of us are going to disagree
but that doesnt mean fighting

for example---- im still not convinced about this afgan mission----
weve heard the pros and cons a hundred times by now
just because i dont personally buy into the mission-- NATO authorized or not
doesnt mean i dont respect the military

is it possible to disagree --for both sides to disagree and yet maintain some kind of mutual respect

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
You raise a good point cortezz.

I am willing to let protestors who don't support wars and 'military-operations' to protest because it is their right and they can raise all the points they want.

It is only when they get violent physically or spit or other stuff that I would have a problem with it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks Cortez, but I've never found you Anti-Military you seem to have sincere concerns about the Down Trodden and those suffering in the world as a result of Military Actions. I have no problem arguing until the cows come home or I'm covered in muck but I never let it cloud my judgement on who a person really is. At the end of the day one can simply agree to disagree and smile when you meet.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
well spitting at someone--- is of course unacceptable and irrational etc

it would be like-- im not happy with the canadian heath care system ----- so i vent my spleen by spitting at a doctor or nurse....
thats sick.

apart from that--- as you know i run in lefty circles-- and ive never once met someone who disrespected canadian soldiers---- argue with them -- disagree yes -- not disrespect--
i really think that you underestimate the respect that people have for the military

on the other hand if the boys from the base in kingston are cruising the bars at 2 am drunk and LOOKING for some hostility-- do you think theyll find it....

its a 2 way street

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
When I lived in Shearwater's PMQ's the Civies went on strike, the first day of the strike they set up picketers at the entrances to the PMQ (married housing) and refused to let us leave the base. The Schools buses where held hostage so the children couldn't get to school, Military Members had to walk to work out of uniform, and those of us who worked off base wheren't allowed to leave. The Military Police didn't want to inflame the civies so 200 families where held hostage. On the second day I had had enough, I had a one week old F150 extended cab 4/4-very big truck-so I decided I'm leaving. I get to the exit and these two very obease males with placards and Timmy's coffies are blocking the exit so I jump the curb and drive over the grass I grab my purse and swing it out the window and I smacked the Tim's double-double and the placard out of obease man 2's hand and proceed to go off road to the highway. The media picked up the story and by the afternoon and they stopped holding us hostage.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The military should not be engaged in combaat roles without the support of the Canadian people and Parliament. I do believe our forces should have the equipment they require, and be in a state of readiness should they be needed.
In Afghanistan I support the efforts there both in combat and humanitarian efforts. The Taliban were monsters, however the people running the Afghan civillian government are little better than those they chased out. Many of those now governing, were former war lords, and assorted shady people.
In Iraq I would be against any support for the American efforts there, they started a war that did not need to be and every dead American soldier should serve as a reminder of that fact.
This is Americas Stalingrad. Iran Is an independant nation and what they do inside their borders is their business.
If there is a valid reason I support our military, should the reason fall short of the facts on the ground, I would not support any forces who go about threatening and invading others like the Americans do.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Interesting story Sassylassie, I have never heard of these stories before, I guess I am just too young, but I would like to ask, when was the last time an incident like this occured because Canadian public opinion might have changed since or has remained the same.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Sassylassie said:
When I lived in Shearwater's PMQ's the Civies went on strike, the first day of the strike they set up picketers at the entrances to the PMQ (married housing) and refused to let us leave the base. The Schools buses where held hostage so the children couldn't get to school, Military Members had to walk to work out of uniform, and those of us who worked off base wheren't allowed to leave. The Military Police didn't want to inflame the civies so 200 families where held hostage. On the second day I had had enough, I had a one week old F150 extended cab 4/4-very big truck-so I decided I'm leaving. I get to the exit and these two very obease males with placards and Timmy's coffies are blocking the exit so I jump the curb and drive over the grass I grab my purse and swing it out the window and I smacked the Tim's double-double and the placard out of obease man 2's hand and proceed to go off road to the highway. The media picked up the story and by the afternoon and they stopped holding us hostage.

Kudos to you Sassy.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Military Finally Gets

Weirdos and Losers?

Wow.

You'd be surprised Jersay. A lot of Canadians assume that we all get off on killing and blowing stuff up. They assume we couldn't hack it in the real World so crawled away to die in the military. A sad stigma.

I don't know what I would do if someone spat on me. Because soldiers can't touch any civilian.

However, so far all I have received is honking horns from several vehicles and several waving people. Maybe most viewpoints have changed in some areas.

About a three weeks after I got back from Afghanistan, I had to pick my girlfriend up from work in downtown Edmonton. Naturally I was in uniform as I had skirted out of work early. I parked my car and started to walk the block or so to her office. A women at a bus stop sneered at me and called me a "baby killer". Ungrateful people exist in society, it's something i've grown to live with. I'm content knowing my job enforces their right to be a tool.

However that woman is the exception, not the rule. A lot of Canadians do respect and support the forces. Western Canada is by far the best place to be a soldier. I don't expect nicety and quips of encouragment, however I will admit it is nice to get them from time to time.

Was that 2004 Sassy? I got dumped in to Gagetown in the fall of 2004 for a dismounted warfare course at the Combat Training Centre, and I remember not being able to get on to the base because the civies were on strike. I literally reported for duty via cellphone.