an untendered contract to a political pal

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006
Harper faces first scandal
Contract awarded to political pal -- then yanked
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, OTTAWA BUREAU, SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA -- The new Conservative government has come under fire for dishing out an untendered contract to a political pal, then cancelling it when "caught with their hand in the cookie jar."

Liberal MP Mark Holland has accused Prime Minister Stephen Harper of "hypocrisy" for preaching clean government and transparency, then handing out a lucrative contract to a friend.

Marie-Josee Lapointe, who had volunteered as spokesman for the transition team after the Conservatives won the election, was hired to develop communications strategy for the Treasury Board of Canada on its ethics legislation last month with an untendered contract worth up to $25,000. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well considering he's already proven himself as a hypocrit with the floor crossing issue, I'm not very surprised about this, though I will have to read up on it a little more myself.

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006
RE: an untendered contrac

Hey Finder, the bottom line "do as I say not as I do" Hypocrisy at its best.. I am sure Chicken Little Harper will wake up on the 18th month if not sooner and ask him self in silence where did I go wrong when he gets the voter boot up his poop shoot. I can not help my self thinking that Chicken Little and Emerson the both have something in common. They are both Pigs at the Trough.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I found the link.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2006/04/07/1524561-sun.html

OTTAWA -- The new Conservative government has come under fire for dishing out an untendered contract to a political pal, then cancelling it when "caught with their hand in the cookie jar."

Liberal MP Mark Holland has accused Prime Minister Stephen Harper of "hypocrisy" for preaching clean government and transparency, then handing out a lucrative contract to a friend.

Marie-Josee Lapointe, who had volunteered as spokesman for the transition team after the Conservatives won the election, was hired to develop communications strategy for the Treasury Board of Canada on its ethics legislation last month with an untendered contract worth up to $25,000.

FULL RESPONSIBILITY

"The prime minister made a promise, he broke it, he was caught and now he is changing his mind," Holland charged in the Commons.

Treasury Board President John Baird took full responsibility and said the contract was terminated as soon as it was disclosed.

"I'm the minister in the early days of government responsible for accountability and I think leadership by example is important," he said.

But NDP MP Pat Martin sided with the Conservatives, pointing to the Grits' hypocrisy.

"To be fair, the Treasury Board president passed his first test. As soon as he was made aware of it, he nipped it in the bud," he said. "It's the audacity, the unmitigated gall of the Liberals to actually ask a question on untendered contracts that's truly staggering."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems some lefty conveniently left out the important information.

You guys are just going to have to do better than this if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Harper faces first scandal

I can't say I'm impressed with Pat Martin's campaign trail rhetoric. This Lapointe guy sounds like he might of had the skills and tendering probably costs a chunk of change but there's no way Baird wouldn't have known this would look awfully "all in the family" even though it was probably just the result of a successful kiss-up. By the same token, I doubt Lapointe is the only guy in Ottawa that knows how to throw a curve ball so Baird could have at least looked a little further down the hall before passing out the candy.

funny story. won't go anywhere. but funny.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: an untendered contrac

You think that some NDP member pointing out that the Liberals were corrupt automatically voids all misdeeds? When exactly does Harper get held accountable by his supporters? When does the "well the Liberals did it first" excuse wear thin?

I thought that we were going to see a new level of accountability from this government, not more of the same. Whether it is the Liberals, the Conservatives, or the NDP, they should all be held to account for corruption in government.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Harper's Excuses

While I acknowledge that the Government of Canada under the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada is a new administration and may need some time to adjust to things on the Government side of the House of Commons, there are limits in terms of how long I can lend my confidence to a Government that would respond to nearly every question during Question Period with: "The previous Liberal Government of Canada..."

Yeah, that's great — but we want to hear about this Government.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: an untendered contrac

LittleRunningGag said:

You think that some NDP member pointing out that the Liberals were corrupt automatically voids all misdeeds? When exactly does Harper get held accountable by his supporters? When does the "well the Liberals did it first" excuse wear thin?

I thought that we were going to see a new level of accountability from this government, not more of the same. Whether it is the Liberals, the Conservatives, or the NDP, they should all be held to account for corruption in government.

"To be fair, the Treasury Board president passed his first test. As soon as he was made aware of it, he nipped it in the bud," he said.

Oh whole lot ta do about nothing.....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Treasury Board Decisions

I would agree, Jay, that the Honourabe John Baird, P.C., M.P., the Member for Ottawa West—Nepean and President of the Treasury Board, made the right decision in terms of how he took care of this situation. While I would agree that there should perhaps be scrutiny in terms of how the situation came to be in the first place, I don't think that there is anywhere near the need for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to be taking such a hard and fierce stance on this particular issue.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
When Liberals do something, it is a scandal and everything is bad.

But to conservative lovers in Canada, if Harper and his party does something, look the other way and start acting if you are blind.

What a bunch of hypocrits. Glad there isn't to many

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jersay, I would agree that the events leading to this situation coming to be need to be investigated — if there is a chance that there was wrongdoing, in particular in light of the introduction of Bill C-2 in the House of Commons, then the events-in-question should be investigated. The Government of Canada should be investigated for this; however, we should, in my opinion, commend the President of the Treasury Board and acknowledge that he managed the situation properly when he became aware of the situation.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I can not remember any Reigning Government that didn't lie cheat, steal, pad their buddies pockets and basically treat the public like retarded morons that don't have enough common dog sense to know what is good for us. Some day, hopefully, we can have a goverment of the people for the people. Normal everyday Joes and Janes that have life experiences, morals and common sense. I'm tired of the BA and LawDegree crowd.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gee Jersay.....I think you need marksman training because your way, way off mark there....

Every time the Liberals open their mouth and try to put down the Cons, they are being hypocrites because they did all of the things they are whining about and way worse.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Are conservatives going to keep painting all Liberals as corrupt and hypicritical from here to the end of time?

As an NDP supporter, I don't think the Liberals have any right to speak but, at least someone is since the Conservatives shouldn't be allowed to do the exact same thing.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Fortunately we don't need to worry about painting Liberals, they come painted already from the factory.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: an untendered contract to a political pal

Jay said:
Every time the Liberals open their mouth and try to put down the Cons, they are being hypocrites because they did all of the things they are whining about and way worse.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the Libs have their problems, but pretending that the Conservatives don't have their own is just stupid. Its giving free licence to the Conservatives to be as corrupt as they want.

What is the point of kicking the Liberals out of office if we don't hold the Conservatives to the same, if not higher, standard as they promised during the election.

Also, the Liberals have every reason to act this way. They are, after all, the Official Opposition. Its their job to attack the government and hold it accountable.