Selective Omissions in C-2

Should Bill C-2 be amended, as per the Liberals' recommendations?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Bill Graham, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto Centre and Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, today dubbed Bill C-2, An Act providing for conflict of interest rules, restrictions on election financing and measures respecting administrative transparency, oversight and accountability (or the Federal Accountability Act, as its short title would have it cited) to be the "Selective" Accountability Act.

The Leader of the Opposition seems to have dubbed the Act thusly, due to some serious omissions from the omnibus Act, on the part of the current Government of Canada — including the contentious point of failing to prevent former lobbyists from becoming members of the Government. In addition, with the decreases in funding that a party can receive from supporters and organizations, that third-party advertising would hold even more of a sway in our democracy.

The Web site for the [color=red said:
Liberal Party of Canada[/color]]"During the election campaign, we heard a lot of promises about the legislation introduced today. But there was nothing in this bill to curb the stem of Conservative staffers now lobbying their bosses in Cabinet," Mr. Graham said, dubbing the legislation the "Selective" Accountability Act for its omissions.

"Dozens of Conservative ex-staffers who have relationships of influence with Cabinet Ministers and even the Prime Minister are lining up as lobbyists," added Liberal MP Stephen Owen. "The Prime Minister's former policy chief is a lobbyist whose client list includes major communications, energy and investment companies, each of which is currently making representations to this government on the development of key legislation. Does the Prime Minister really think that this is appropriate?"

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier en français.
:arrow: Discuss : Do you think that the Act should be amended?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
a tentative yes. I understand the thing is a whopper. 5P, maybe you know. The civil service branch that drafts and reviews the bills, is that the Privy Council?

A couple of concerns arising from the criticism, most of which seems well placed.

“The Prime Minister's former policy chief is a lobbyist whose client list includes major communications, energy and investment companies, each of which is currently making representations to this government on the development of key legislation. Does the Prime Minister really think that this is appropriate?”

True to Liberal form, Owen speaks of legislation but when you look at (would that be Flanagan he's talking about? I thought he was just an egghead) the list of interests Harper's old crony is involved in you should realize that the government, through Cabinet, can do plenty of damage to the country by signing on to bad arrangements with the old GATT crowd without so much as a mention on the Commons floor.

but does nothing to reduce third party election spending

I know the current rules have been a thorn in Harper's side since the get-go, but I wasn't aware they needed strengthening. I suppose it'll take some time to figure out if this near-omnibus weakens them.