Never-ending growth plundering the earth

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada's economy, like every other nation's economy on planet earth, is geared towards growth.

With more people and more production of goods, where will this leave the planet's fragile ecosystems?

When does the growth stop? When is enough enough?

Who is looking at the big picture?

CamTheCat

Oct 5, 2005
Alberta
jazzauthority.blogspot.com
quinton said:
Canada's economy, like every other nation's economy on planet earth, is geared towards growth.

With more people and more production of goods, where will this leave the planet's fragile ecosystems?

When does the growth stop? When is enough enough?

Who is looking at the big picture?

Where will this leave the planet's fragile ecosystems? I think the answer is obvious, and the next question is to ask how much time we have to go on like this before we come to an abrupt halt with no other choice.

This level of growth served us well in the early 1900's, but these days it's just not realistic. We've reached the point where we're running out of space, resources, energy, etc. If we don't stop it willingly (and it doesn't have to hurt the average person, only the big businesses will take a big cut in profits) then we will stop this level of growth when growth becomes impossible. The scientific and political thinkers, of all political persuasion, are largely in agreement that our current course is not sustainable.

Instead of asking who is looking at the big picture, I ask why isn't our gov't looking at the big picture? One answer might be that they stand to make far too much money in the here and now (and to ruisk unpopularity) to willingly disrupt business as usual.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Growth Issues

I think that the Government of Canada, and its successors in the future, should make efforts to direct Canada toward renewable sources of energy (in order to decrease, and perhaps one day eliminate, finite sources, such as fossil fuels). Too many Governments in the past have, in my opinion, possessed a sort of underlying attitude of apathy toward the environment and Earth, thinking that it isn't their responsibility.

Well, we should get with the program.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
But what about the "cinderella of all environmental problems" -- population growth?

Should Canada keep accepting immigrants to burgeon more economic growth at the expense of the environment?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, I don't think that population growth is the issue here — whether or not these immigrants choose to come to Canada or not, and whether or not Canada chooses to accept them, these immigrants aren't going to disappear from the face of the Earth is rejected by Immigration Canada. They remain citizens of Earth, and therefore the issue remains. I see no reason to decrease immigration into Canada for the purpose of stopping population growth.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
Do you think that allowing immigrants to easily move from countries of high population density to countries of low population density helps facilitate population growth?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't think we are doomed. I know, I know, this from a guy who has an artillery piece as an avatar. I think change will come with the next generation and it will be positve.

Don't laugh, I'm serious.
M

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Re: RE: Never-ending growth plundering the earth

quinton said:
Do you think that allowing immigrants to easily move from countries of high population density to countries of low population density helps facilitate population growth?

No, because it's far to expensive to have children in the western first world economys, the per unit cost of production which includes time and money is prohibitive.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Never-ending growth p

The thing that is unsustainable is the worlds population. Things are going to get real ugly when the unsustainable resources being used to sustain our unsustainble population start to run out. The largest Human die-off in history will be the result of this event. This will happen in the next 50 years, and is unavoidable. Our governments do have plan to deal with this situation, and it's already being undertaken.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Re: RE: Never-ending growth p

Toro said:
darkbeaver said:
Toro said:
How are you going to pay for your pensions? How are you going to pay for your healthcare?
By nationalizing both and fighting to keep it that way or die trying.

My bet is "die trying" will be your outcome.

You spend all day placing bets Toro, you can't win all the time.