The Passport Issue

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Why do all Canadians who wish to enter the US have to procur a passport [as of next year]? I say why,because there are 11 million illegal Mexicans residing in the USA, whom the government is planning on giving a free ride & to Hell with securing that border. I guess we pose a more immenent danger to the Americans than do the Mexicans :lol: :lol: It'll be a cold day in the Arctic before I get a passport.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Passport Issue

I don't think it would be a good idea to enforce such a measure; I think that Canada and the United States of America have long enjoyed a friendly and undefended border; I would think that by "fortifying" the border, such as is being done, under the assumption that Canada somehow poses a threat to the U.S., isn't right.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm going to go and get my passprt this summer.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I suppose I am going to have to, if only to visit my Uncle, whom I see about once a year. It's ridiculous that I should have to pay the passport fee every few years, just to go a few kilometres into Washington state. I hope our leaders come up with something more convenient, and of less of a negative impact on communities, at the next trilateral leaders' meeting (incidentally, to be hosted by Canada).

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't think it is too much to ask to get a passport to travel to foreign nations.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I know, Jay, that it's a reasonable request.

It just seems weird to me; I've never really considered the United States to be foreign.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Let's all remember one vital fact here...
It is their country and they are free to make laws as they see fit regardless of their impact on neighbouring nations or nations halfway around the world. If it impacts our business dealings with the U.S. then we have no choice but to conform (if we want to keep the business flowing) or diverisfy our trade. Yea yea I understand that loads of people could become unemployed but that would be temporary until we establish other trade partners, increase our trade to other current partners and/or diversify our industry into areas where others will want the end-product(whatever it may be).

Having said that, considering we are the U.S.'s lifeline to natural resources, I say we have em over a barrel if our spineless POS (that's Piece of sh..) Prime Minister decides he wants to play tough instead of bending over and taking one up the a$$.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Passport Canada...

They are nice people but their rules are ridiculous.

The would not accept my "Guarantor" who is an ex- IRS Federal Employee - and these guys have clearance forever.

They also make impossible rules for a person to abide by unless you have all day to wait in line - by long distance - it is nearly funny farm material trying to keep up with their whims.

I would go the "personal wait in line" route if I was up there - never by mail unless absolutely necessary.

Between the U.S. and Canada is insulting and will cut tourism down to a trickle. Driver licenses are enough - because they do an extensive check down here on those too - with fingerprinting, background check and picture (ick)....it is a phone call away from a check on it....Passports between the two nations are nonsense.

Especially when the Mexicans can walk into the country with nothing being done - Canadians get punished. I think we should all be taking a course in Government Bureaucracy and if it is necessary to our modern world. Most of these bean counters and number crunchers have not been living in the real world for a long time.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh yes....

Those countries who dislike the great relationship between the two nations - which has been peaceful and worthwhile for hundreds of years will love it!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: The Passport Issue

FiveParadox said:
I know, Jay, that it's a reasonable request.

It just seems weird to me; I've never really considered the United States to be foreign.

8O

Are you sure your a Liberal? :p

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wednesdays Child it sounds like your having fun with Passport Canada.

When my husband up-dated his pastport there was a great to-do about him having an identical twin. They seemed very concerned that he could be himself or his brother. So they asked him how they could tell the difference if they wanted verification, he said "I play hockey and fight alot, my brother is a ref." Second question for varification of his identity: My brother knits and is a social worker and a member of Green Peace, I'm ex-mil and I fly helicopters and I own a chains saw. Passport was in the mail a week later.

I agree with Five, I think of the USA as an extension of Canada. Personaly I think this is more about intel and information gathering than a safety issue.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One small point

Is there another country out there that doesn't require people to have a passport to enter? The U.S. is a foreign country. Isn't that how we want it?

My wife and I have had our passports for years. We just renewed them a couple months ago. Our passports had only just lapsed and it took just a day or two over two weeks.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy

Sounds like your hubby was having a good time too.... Actually the people I have dealt with at Passport Canada are adorable compared with the American Immigration who are so severely depressed I feel I should offer something cheerful to add to their day! Ice cream is difficult to mail however hahaha!

The whole thing might be a good check on the numbers and origins of those people travelling between the two countries and perhaps the passport system is the least formidable of any other system such as having to be searched even when driving through..
I have always wanted to stuff the trunk of a car full of popcorn which would explode out on the Customs Official at the border...but managed to keep my dark side from actually doing it.

Things are a-changing....and I refuse to let them get to me because I love that chest swelling when I drive under the Peace Arch where it says "Children of a Common Mother".... that's what travel between the U.S. and Canada means to me.

Besides they let Zoof across every week to golf!

Juan

You and your lady must have more honest faces than some folk!
It does help however to be located within Canada too and renewing a passport already in hand. Mine is the first request and they have to start from the beginning....my beginning I mean!

Passport renewals in the U.S. take less than two weeks as well - and new ones take about three weeks if all is in order. So they are similar....if you can do it locally. I'm just another snowback to the Americans....

Five

Thank you for writing that statement about the U.S. not being a foreign country. You have no idea how much that means to me when a Canadian says it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan

You and your lady must have more honest faces than some folk!
It does help however to be located within Canada too and renewing a passport already in hand. Mine is the first request and they have to start from the beginning....my beginning I mean!

That, is probably a whole new kettle of fish. I can understand that the people considered acceptable to guarantee that you are who you say you are, might be different in different countries. In Canada, any professional engineer who knows you can sign off on you. So, I believe, can your doctor. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have to be someone in Canada?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

The American list is a bit shorter than the Canadian list and they all have to agree not to receive compensation for their Guarantee of my status. I have no trouble locating all kinds of people, but they can't do it without compensation. The stockbroker was the best of the lot anyway - having his Federal employee status still in place and they still rejected him. I thought the IRS would be one tough group to discount. Apparently Canada think Chiropractors are good guys tho....(I don't get it)... I know one judge but he is retired and they cannot do it either unless they are still "judging".
Lots of attorneys and docs but they want money. College profs aren't on the list and I know many - my girlfriend is a local politician but she isn't on the list.... it's frustrating...but they are sending me an affidavit which I can fill out and then PAY someone to guarantee that what I am writing is the truth....whew....I should have done that in the first place I guess.... but I'm learning!

Just tape your passports to your tummies...you don't want them stolen or lost on your travels down south in Europe....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm probably on the list WC...I'll give them a call for you... :wink:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
If you don't have a Passport and wish to still go into the United States, go to Mexico and cross the border into the United States. :p Wait you need a Passport to get into Mexico, never mind. :roll: