Speech From the Throne

Do you think that the Speech From the Throne is going to be accepted?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to answer

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Barbara Uteck said:
Rideau Hall

April 3, 2006

Mr. Speaker,

I have the honour to inform you that Her Excellency, the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, and His Excellency Jean-Daniel Lafond will arrive at the Peace Tower at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4, 2006. When it has been confirmed that all is in readiness, Their Excellencies shall proceed to the chamber of the Senate to formally open the first session of the 39th Parliament of Canada.

Yours sincerely,

Barbara Uteck

Click here to read the entire Edited Hansard for this day.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le Hansard révisé entier pour ce jour.
This should be an interesting one; given the contentious nature of this, the Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada, I am interested to see what sort of speech the Government of Canada is going to transmit through the Governor General of Canada.

:arrow: Questions

Do you think that the Speech From the Throne will be accepted by the House of Commons? What do you think that the speech is going to contain? Once the speech has been read tomorrow, how do you think the other parties are going to react, and do you think, in your opinion, that the speech is worth supporting? Is there anything in the speech that you would oppose to such a degree so as to wish to precipitate the intervention of Her Excellency (such as through a dissolution of Parliament on the advice of the Prime Minister of Canada, or dismissing the current Government)?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Parliament of Canada.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Speech From the Thron

To us aussies, a 'Speech from the throne' translates to:

"Oi luv, can you grab us a roll of dunny-paper, I'm stuck in the middle of a delicate operation"

Now that would look interesting in hansard.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Um ... it is an expression of confidence in the Government of Canada, and I would say that the vision that the Government attempts to put forth to the nation (and perhaps more importantly, for practical purposes, the House of Commons) is of paramount importance.

If rejected, the Government cannot continue to govern.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Excellency is about to read the Speech from the Throne!

Oh, the drama! Isn't anyone watching CPAC right now? This is exciting!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Governor General Michaelle Jean seems better then her predecessor Fmr Governor General Adrienne Clarkson.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
She's been more involved with events on the people level, rather than the politicians level (not to say that politicians aren't people, but we could have eight or nine threads discussing that one, lol). I have a great respect for her, for that.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Throne Speech Result

It would appear that Gilles Duceppe, M.P., the Member for Laurier—Sainte-Marie and the Leader of the Bloc Québecois, has indicated that he and the Bloc Québecois intend, unless amendments are proposed and passed that would make the Speech from the Throne undesirable for Québec, to support the speech.

It would appear, then, that the House of Commons is going to continue.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I suppose not.

However, I suppose we must wait to see the amended version of the Speech from the Throne, and see the House of Commons voted in favour of expressing its thanks to the Governor General of Canada, before anyone can be entirely certain that the speech is to pass.

I would doubt that there is any amendment that either of the opposition parties could come up with, though, that could "sour" the speech, so to speak, in terms of threatening the support of the Bloc Québecois. I would think that Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and the New Democratic Party of Canada, are going to attempt to be reasonable in terms of the consideration of the speech and any amendments thereto.