Do you think the voting age should be lowered?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Do you think the voti

There are lots of voting age people who don't pay taxes. And who's to say they would vote for the NDP anyways.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Do you think the voti

JonB2004 said:
There are lots of voting age people who don't pay taxes. And who's to say they would vote for the NDP anyways.

true, but the last thing we need is more non-tax paying people deciding on how tax money should be used. 18 is fine though, i wouldent want to see it lowered.

hell if it was up to me you would have to be over the age of 18 and pay taxes to vote. if your a 25 year old welfare bum....no vote for you :wink:

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

We need more young people involved in politics so we can get a fresh look at things.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Do you think the voti

JonB2004 said:
We need more young people involved in politics so we can get a fresh look at things.

you mean so we can get a "left" look at things :lol:

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

We all pay taxes. Ever heard of GST, PST. Everyone pays them even children.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Learn to swim.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
Certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this...

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

I uh...I don't pay PST....anyway that's beside the point. Considering that some 18 year olds lack the mental capacity to take a vote seriously, I don't think lowering the age would help that problem. That's all we'd need, more votes for the marijuanna party :roll:. If anything the voting age should be raised in my opinion. Western 18 year olds (by and large) aren't mature enough these days to make a worthwhile contribution to the political system. I know for sure at 18 I wasn't doing any good.

P.S. To forstall any argument from you Five, you my friend the the exception, certainly not the rule.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
hank C wrote:

true, but the last thing we need is more non-tax paying people deciding on how tax money should be used.

Well, is that ever faulty logic. I guess all those stay at home Mums don't deserve the franchise right?

We allow kids to learn how to drive at 16 yet, we don't give them the vote? How hypocritical is that? Your responsible enough to use a potentially dangerous vehicle putting your own and other lives in danger but, we don't think you're mature enough or old enough or responsible enough to seriously consider the future of your community, province and country. I say old enough to drive, old enough to vote.

Personally, I think sicne the age of consent is 14 that should be the voting age. I doubt it would make a difference since most young people don't bother voting in the first place.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Definitely not.
Neither should prison inmates.
Neither should nutters 8)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion, the voting age should be reduced to sixteen (as had been proposed during the Thirty-eighth Parliament, but was dropped from the Order Paper due to the Conservative Party of Canada invoking an obscure provision of parliamentary practice during a low-attendance hour of the sitting to destroy the motion).

I think that young Canadians have a lot to offer to the system, in terms of debate, discussion and our opinions. I think that the voting age should be reduced to the age of sixteen; obviously, only those young citizens who care about the system would vote, and more often than not, only those citizens who care tend to know about the system anyway, so it would pose no problem, in terms of the arguments that young people are somehow stupid.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Do you think the voting age should be lowered?

Hank C said:
no, the last thing we need is more non-tax paying voters who vote for the NDP.

your a jack ass, we should make a law so that uneducated hicks can't vote so Conservatives don't get in.

Anyhow I think it's interesting, but I do think there should be an age limit. However I do think normal people should have more opritunity to form policy and that we depend way too much on representational democracy a little bit too much. We should have more democratic envolvment on the local levels.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think the age should probably be increasd to 21.