Softwood Lumber

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
The softwood lumber was brought up today during a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and U.S. President George Bush. Harper says he wants to resume talks about the $5 billion the U.S. owes us in unpaid duties. Well, this issue is really beginning to get on my nerves. There has been a NAFTA ruling that the U.S. has to pay us the duties. Well, I have a solution for this problem. We should give the U.S. a deadline in which they have to pay us the duties or we stop all lumber from going to the U.S.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mine as well, it would make an interesting title for a short little war, The Softwood War, The Nafta Softwood War, The Softwood Nafta War, The Nafta War,there that's better, one of the free things about NAFTA is the 5 billion. Free profit that afterall is what is was designed to do, make profit as free as possible, shit it works what am I complaining about.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
The Softwood War;

sounds great, but we are allready the loosers, not by a fair fight but by forefitting the battle.
Look at the map and realise all the green spaces timber can be and has been cut.
You may call this treasure oversupply.
A course if greed takes over..; or why would we allow foreign interests to set up mills etc?
If we want mastership over our house; I think it is more important
to take control and think Canadian peoples first; NAFTA etc is secondary.
Thats how the Americans see it, and why not?

Like many of our other resources, lumberrights are given to the market forces for a dime and a song.
Stumpagefees , they payment received for these cutting rights are
traditional low , even forgiven or otherwise balanced to create economic activity.

Maritimes and many other places have stories of "Lumberbarons" etc; you might as well call them" get rich quick schemes" and the hell afterwards.
There is no effective Forrestmanagement by Government and most other stakeholders.

Clearcutting is a buzz word to many, but it also bespeaks the quality and level of forrest practice around here.

Instead of complaining to the USA we should get the prices up to a level which truly reflects the cost of raising trees,
yes, we will sell less boardfeets but the higher price helps to compensate. We dont need to plunder our natural warehouse!

Sounds simple, but our governments need partyfavours for their benevolence to prefered friends.And landgrants and leases on logging areas were allways favorites; keeps the little guys down too.

One thing Governments could do, is to transfer major portions of their landholdings into reserves and parks.(Off limits to cutting, and or environmental sensitive rules on forrest practice and harvesting)
Kyoto anyone?
Privat landowners are tending to be better stewards of their woodlots,more power to them; yes a fair portion of forrestry education and a few sensible rules thrown in.

The Info from Sweden I seen, tells about that about every well manged 100 ha/240 acres will throw off an economic return of 1Manyear labour.
That is a hired forrest professional paid for a year. For every year that is. Not bad.

My visiting europaen friends are puzzeled about the size of logs moved around and seen while sightseeing (EXCEPT WHERE ORIGINAL FORRESTS ARE HARVESTED) , the way they are split into slabs( 3/8 to 1/2" kerf), the little value added.....bonsai was one of the words used.

Clearcut and pulpwood? well search out situations of pulp and paper
mills.Find out who owns the competing mills processing eucalyptus trees in far and more hospitable places to grow.
We can not outdump our supplies , its not working.

This has nothing to do with proper forrest stewardship.