Opposition Demands Lobbyist Investigation

Should the Government of Canada take steps to distance itself from lobbyists?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to answer

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Wayne Easter, P.C., M.P., the Member for Malpeque and Agriculture Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, P.C., M.P., the Member for Beauséjour and International Trade Critic for the same, today demanded that Doctor Bernard Shapiro, the Ethics Commissioner of Canada, and the Office of the Registrar of Lobbyists, conduct an investigation into the practices of the current Government of Canada in terms of its close relationships with lobbyists.

The Web site for the [color=red said:
Liberal Party of Canada[/color]]According to The Globe and Mail and information posted on the Public Registry of Lobbyists, a host of Conservative strategists, former staffers and political operatives—including former employees from Mr. Harper's Opposition office, assistants to newly minted Cabinet Ministers, and even old Reform and Mulroney-era aides—have queued up in recent weeks to sway government policy.

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier en français.
It would appear that the Government is continuing to falter on its promises to bring accountability and transparency to the way that Canada is governed; not only has he continued to assault transparency by attempting to put a stranglehold on not only his own government, but the media — but now this?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pat Martin, M.P., the Member for Winnipeg Centre and Ethics Critic for the New Democratic Party of Canada, has added his voice to those requesting some sort of investigation into the conduct of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and Prime Minister of Canada, in relation to the conduct of his government in terms of ties to lobbyists.

The Web site for the [color=orange said:
New Democratic Party of Canada[/color],]The Conservatives promised to stop former ministers, political aides and bureaucrats from influencing government as paid lobbyists. But Mr. Harper excluded most political aides when he revised the Conflict of Interest and Post-Employment Code for Public Office Holders. In March alone, aides to cabinet ministers Monte Solberg and Rob Nicholson have freely resigned to become paid lobbyists.

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier en français.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the New Democratic Party of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am surprised to see, from what the statistics in this thread seem to imply, that the membership thinks that lobbying is a good thing (at least in terms of the current Government, lol). I wonder if the same would be true if this question had been asked during the 38th Parliament, with the previous Government of Canada.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Re: RE: Opposition Demands Lobbyist Investigation

FiveParadox said:
I am surprised to see, from what the statistics in this thread seem to imply, that the membership thinks that lobbying is a good thing (at least in terms of the current Government, lol). I wonder if the same would be true if this question had been asked during the 38th Parliament, with the previous Government of Canada.

These polls only show who politically makes up these message forums. The one thing that I do find impressive with right wing supporters is how well they are able to mobilize themselves to push their politics. People who tend to have moderate views seem to suffer from a kind of apathy in which they don’t expect the status quo to be in any sort of real jeopardy to lend much voice.

I have watched the erosion of the American model and it still amazes me how it happened. How it happened to what was such a strong player in the world.

Now states can’t even afford the after school programs they use to offer to their kids, their reputation is in the gutter, they’re billions of dollars in debt owned by the Japanese and Chinese because of wars and permanent taxes which mostly benefit the wealthy, and corporate nepotism. Their media now has such low journalistic integrity having helped sell the war in Iraq to the public (and it never stops from there), their Civil Liberties are falling to the wayside, they torture people?! and it goes on and on.

I watched it happen to Americans and they would always tell me, all the way down, “It can’t happen here. No, not here in America.”

Everyone should look at what lobbyist groups do in the United States. I’ll give an example.

For instance, I really like how the FDA had experts from the same drug companies who put out the dangerous drug to say how their pain killer Viox, which is killing people by causing heart attacks should not be pulled off the shelves. Rather, just put a little black box that says “it might give you a heart attack.”

Voila, now it becomes harder for victims to legally sue despite releasing such a dangerous drug into the market which kills people simply for pain releif.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/05/health/main671915.shtml

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13130-1921288,00.html

“Bert Hazlett, an analyst at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, upgraded Merck to a buy from a neutral because he believes Vioxx will return to the market for use in a limited population.

And while Vioxx sales my be relatively small, he predicted the resurrection of the drug may help limit the company's legal liability. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Merck over Vioxx and some have estimated the company's liability could go to $30 billion.

"I wouldn't want to be a plaintiff's lawyer right now," said Hazlett.

While the warning could further dampen Celebrex sales, analysts don't think it will be extreme.”

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/drugs/2005-04-25-drug-lobby-cover_x.htm

“Since 1998, drug companies have spent $758 million on lobbying — more than any other industry, according to government records analyzed by the Center for Public Integrity, a watchdog group. In Washington, the industry has 1,274 lobbyists — more than two for every member of Congress.

"They are powerful," says Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. "You can hardly swing a cat by the tail in that town without hitting a pharmaceutical lobbyist."

Over the years those lobbyists have been very successful, demonstrating that the industry knows politics as well as it knows chemistry. Drug companies won coverage for prescription drugs under Medicare in 2003 while blocking the government from negotiating prices downward. They have so far kept out imports of cheaper medicines from Canada and other countries. And they have protected a system that uses company fees to speed the drug-approval process.”

Lobbying the government is a way to get special favour. More often than not, in the interest of corporations, as opposed the interest of the pubic good. The last thing we need is our politicians making decisions by way of corporation influence. Corporations are all about making money, regardless of who benefits or not.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

FiveParadox said:

Thats sorta is a funny question comming from you...

What is wrong with Lobbying? Are you willing to give up your right to Lobby the government?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Opposition Demands Lo

Don't get me wrong, I love to invest and make money in corporations. I'm a capitalist. But I never see the need to sacrifice the public good simply for the benefit of the corporation. They can make money as it is without needing special favour from the government.

They will play every angle they can, and the public will be fools to let them.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

Yes, I too thought that if ONE good thing would come out of the Harper gov't it would be reform (preferably abolition) of the Senate, or some kind of reform with regards to lobbying.. when the Defence Minister was appointed I got a sinking feeling, though, and it doesn't seem to have improved any...

Lobbyists are an obscene perversion of all things purportedly "democratic" and should be done away with wholesale... and tho I have no good solid examples from Canada (ours seem to be sneakier) there are enough examples in the US to warrant this housecleaning

To those who support lobbyists (corporate ones)- What purpose do they serve for the "common good" of all Canadians?? I really can't figure out how any "common citizen" could see anything but bad...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
By not taking the right to petition a government away...I thought it was simple.

It isn't as if we elect all knowing all wise people into public office. Lobbying is an information tool.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The neocons will support the corporations every time. Now they talk about lobbying like it is some charished, God-given, right. The only businesses we should be helping are the small businesses, who provide most of the employment in this country. Screw the corporations and screw the corporate lobbyists.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Right on Juan, fornicate the lobbyists, fornicate the corporations, fornicate the neoCons, fornicate the Christian fanatics, whew thats a lot of fornication, I'm tired, time for a nap. I just picked up the book America Theocrazy, by the end of the day I'll know a lot more about fornicating the dogs.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am not opposed to lobbying, in and of itself; however, the current Government of Canada has demonstrated thus far that it is incapable of separating itself from lobbyists. There are regulations in place that state that one cannot become a registered lobbyist if one has been employed by the Government within the past year (if one is going to lobby the Government for any sort of changes). The Government has ignored these regulations.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
#juan said:
The neocons will support the corporations every time.

You make this sound if this is a recent practise and not something engaged in by the liberals as well.

There is nothing wrong with a system that allows individuals to lobby their MPs or the entire House of Commons on any issues. The type of lobbying we are referring to here is where corporations buy special access to government by paying former insiders with connections. This is the way the system works in Canada and this is what Harper put in his platform to outlaw. And it should be outlawed as it is corruption. Now Harper is equivocating and splitting hairs and saying corruption (erroneously called lobbying) will be allowed by some officials and not others. Harper really has gone out of his way to make it appear that he really doesn’t give a crap about what people think.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

FiveParadox said:
I am not opposed to lobbying, in and of itself; however, the current Government of Canada has demonstrated thus far that it is incapable of separating itself from lobbyists. There are regulations in place that state that one cannot become a registered lobbyist if one has been employed by the Government within the past year (if one is going to lobby the Government for any sort of changes). The Government has ignored these regulations.

I thought these changes were being proposed in the Accountability act? Are there already regulations in place?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
#juan said:
The neocons will support the corporations every time. Now they talk about lobbying like it is some charished, God-given, right. The only businesses we should be helping are the small businesses, who provide most of the employment in this country. Screw the corporations and screw the corporate lobbyists.

I work for a corporation and it is a small business. You want to take away our right to petition the government. What do we call people and ideologies that threaten those rights?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, Jay; however, if you had been working directly under a Minister of the Crown, then you should not have the right to suddenly resign and register as a lobbyist, nor should the Government of Canada have the right to give "extra" information to their "special" lobbyists.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jay wrote:
I work for a corporation and it is a small business. You want to take away our right to petition the government. What do we call people and ideologies that threaten those rights?

No. You can petition all you want. I object to large corporation hiring a couple dozen lawyers who do nothing else, and who, by comparison, will bury the government in petitions. What individual, or small business can compete against that?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But that isn't the point....we simply do not have the right to tell anyone or any business they can not lobby the government.

Do you honestly think that a NDP government doesn't want to hear from lobby groups?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
We do have the right to tell someone that they cannot register to lobby the Government of Canada — we are given that power through statute, and it is exercised through the appropriate personnel in Ottawa. It is important that the Government doesn't have the power to favour certain lobbyists over others (by providing some lobbyists with "extra" information).