Peacekeeping de-valued our military

Do you support the troops in a combat capacity?

• No I think they should do strictly humanitarian work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I am glad to see that our troops are starting to lose the stigma that came with the blue beret. Not that I disagreed with humanitarian missions or peacekeeping, but the UN made it easier for the previous governments attempt at defanging our soldiers.

We have forgotten soldiers are employed for fighting against aggressors.

Bosnia, Rwanda and other hot spots were examples of how bureaucrats and politicians could send soldiers into war zones without deeming them actual war zones. The average Canadian equated peacekeeping to negotiators and humanitarians. This couldn't be further from the truth as Canadian soldiers were targeted, fired upon and killed. It wasn't until the Former Yugoslavia that rules of engagement had to be reconsidered.

Perhaps that is why the public seems so shocked that our soldiers are leading the way in Afghanistan. There is no false sense of security. They are truly in harms way, but doing a job they can take pride in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The troops need our support. They are there for you and me and although they may not be peacekeepers they are doing good work.

Their success is dependent on our support. I know that many Canadians support Canada's Sons and Daughters.

Believe me when I say that they know as well.

[/b]

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
if a soldier believes in what he is doing, he does not need the support of the populace.

weak willed individuals seeking approval need the support of strangers to fuel their fragile egos, and of course to feed their bravado.

support yourself.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Retired_Can_Soldier said:
I am glad to see that our troops are starting to lose the stigma that came with the blue beret. Not that I disagreed with humanitarian missions or peacekeeping, but the UN made it easier for the previous governments attempt at defanging our soldiers.

We have forgotten soldiers are employed for fighting against aggressors.

Bosnia, Rwanda and other hot spots were examples of how bureaucrats and politicians could send soldiers into war zones without deeming them actual war zones. The average Canadian equated peacekeeping to negotiators and humanitarians. This couldn't be further from the truth as Canadian soldiers were targeted, fired upon and killed. It wasn't until the Former Yugoslavia that rules of engagement had to be reconsidered.

Perhaps that is why the public seems so shocked that our soldiers are leading the way in Afghanistan. There is no false sense of security. They are truly in harms way, but doing a job they can take pride in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The troops need our support. They are there for you and me and although they may not be peacekeepers they are doing good work.

Their success is dependent on our support. I know that many Canadians support Canada's Sons and Daughters.

Believe me when I say that they know as well.

[/b]

Man I will say this one more time slowly, I have no problem with the Canadian Armed Forces fighting agresssion but we have not again have not been attacked.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Isn't the whole idea behind nato that an attack on one is an attack on all? If so, we certainly were attacked.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Yes Tracy that is it exactly. We are a part of Nato as is the United States.

The Caracal kid: "seeking approval need the support of strangers to fuel their fragile egos,"
Supporting the military has little to do with ego and more to do with morale. What our soldiers face over there is not a pleasant task and support at home is key to success. Mail, hot food and a shower are often the little amenities that make the unbearable bearable.

Darkbeaver:"we have not again have not been attacked"
I believe 30 or so Canadians died at the world trade center. Is that agression enough! Or must our losses be in the 100's or 1000's?

I guess I would do best just not to adddress comments filled with sarcasm and idiocy, the words work effectively on their own to show ignorance and childishness on the part of the individual.

I'm just a newbie here, but I am beginning to understand who the thinkers are and the S___disturbers are.

It's refreshing when someone disagrees with you, but is also willing to listen. The other nonsense is just that.....nonsense.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
What a shame that you view the value of a soldier who is peacekeeping as a waste. The importance of true peacekeeping is that it prevents the need for aggression. Are you suggesting that a soldier who is not allowed to shoot and kill feels that he/she is invaluable and is not supported by the public.
Interesting that the film "Jarhead" has presented this particular view of the soldiers need to feel valuable and fulfilled by shooting someone....

Yes, lets call a spade a spade. The soldiers in Afghanistan are at WAR.....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Addressing Certain Points

While I support the Canadian Forces, including in a combat capacity, I sincerely wish that our membership in NATO had not dragged Canada into this matter. Nevertheless, I would like to address some points from above.

I am glad to see that our troops are starting to lose the stigma that came with the blue beret.
I think that the term stigma brings perhaps too negative of a connotation to the situation; I think that Canada has been viewed quite favourably in the past for its participation in peacekeeping endeavours and, rather than a "stigma", per se, I would think that Canada had quite a favourable reputation due to such participation. In my opinion, we should seek some sort of balance; we should endeavour to participate in whatever peacekeeping operations are possible for the better global good, while ensuring that the Canadian Forces are quite prepared to protect Canada at home and abroad where the needs arise.

the caracal kid said:
if a soldier believes in what he is doing, he does not need the support of the populace.
I agree, in principle, with this statement; the duty of the Canadian Forces is to carry through on the orders that they are given, and not to seek the support of the populace in order to legitimize those orders. If a soldier cannot proceed on an order without seeking such support, then perhaps such a person is not yet in the right mindset to have joined the Canadian Forces. While the support of one's population would certainly be nice, it should by no means be a prerequisite for an effective unit.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
NATO SHMATO

canada should have attacked the punjab in response to the air india bombing and expected its nato allies to help

spain should have attacked morrocco in response to the madrid bombings and expected nato to help

england should have attacked ireland for any number of ira bombings and expected nato to help

SCRAP NATO

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Re: RE: Peacekeeping de-valued our military

The Caracal kid: "seeking approval need the support of strangers to fuel their fragile egos,"
Supporting the military has little to do with ego and more to do with morale. What our soldiers face over there is not a pleasant task and support at home is key to success. Mail, hot food and a shower are often the little amenities that make the unbearable bearable.

I believe 30 or so Canadians died at the world trade center. Is that agression enough! Or must our losses be in the 100's or 1000's?

I guess I would do best just not to adddress comments filled with sarcasm and idiocy, the words work effectively on their own to show ignorance and childishness on the part of the individual.

I'm just a newbie here, but I am beginning to understand who the thinkers are and the S___disturbers are.

It's refreshing when someone disagrees with you, but is also willing to listen. The other nonsense is just that.....nonsense.

More Canadians died last month in Canada from poison pharmasuticals but we have yet to attack these terrorists among us,
the world trade center was destroyed by Americans, do the research see the films ,see the top 33 floors of WTC-2 twist 23 degrees from vertical, it should have collapsed into liberty street ,this did not happen, instead this massive piece of concrete and steel blew up in mid air as did the remaining building beneath it. We are asked to believe that for this one time the laws of physics were suspended,we are asked to believe that the very laws governing the existance and construction of these buildings did not apply to New York city for just that one day in time. The destruction of these buildings was not the result of aircraft, and thats a fact, the buildings were professionally demolished along with the people in them. To believe otherwise is insane. You claim
the ability to discern shitdisturbers from thinkers this also is insane.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

More Canadians died last month in Canada from poison pharmasuticals but we have yet to attack these terrorists among us,
the world trade center was destroyed by Americans, do the research see the films ,see the top 33 floors of WTC-2 twist 23 degrees from vertical, it should have collapsed into liberty street ,this did not happen, instead this massive piece of concrete and steel blew up in mid air as did the remaining building beneath it. We are asked to believe that for this one time the laws of physics were suspended,we are asked to believe that the very laws governing the existance and construction of these buildings did not apply to New York city for just that one day in time. The destruction of these buildings was not the result of aircraft, and thats a fact, the buildings were professionally demolished along with the people in them. To believe otherwise is insane. You claim
the ability to discern shitdisturbers from thinkers, this also is insane. You claim to have expertise that allows you insight in the fields of ignorance and childishness, I agree, your scribblins supply abundant proof of these claims, like many military people your ability for independent thought has been conditioned away, you will blindly follow the orders of your masters, in lockstep with thier
every wish no matter the results.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

darkbeaver said:
More Canadians died last month in Canada from poison pharmasuticals but we have yet to attack these terrorists among us, the world trade center was destroyed by Americans, do the research see the films ,see the top 33 floors of WTC-2 twist 23 degrees from vertical, it should have collapsed into liberty street ,this did not happen, instead this massive piece of concrete and steel blew up in mid air as did the remaining building beneath it. We are asked to believe that for this one time the laws of physics were suspended,we are asked to believe that the very laws governing the existance and construction of these buildings did not apply to New York city for just that one day in time. The destruction of these buildings was not the result of aircraft, and thats a fact, the buildings were professionally demolished along with the people in them. To believe otherwise is insane.

Wikipedia is your friend:

A conspiracy theory attempts to explain the cause of an event as a secret, and often deceptive, plot by a covert alliance rather than as an overt activity or as natural occurrence.

Common usages of this expression go from scholar and popular culture usage to identify a type of folklore similar to an urban legend, having certain regular features, especially an explanatory narrative which is constructed with certain naive methodological flaws to pejoratively usage to dismiss allegedly misconceived, paranoid or outlandish rumors.

Personally, I think this suits you best:

Clinical psychology
For relatively rare individuals, an obsessive compulsion to believe, prove or re-tell a conspiracy theory may indicate one or more of several well-understood psychological conditions, and other hypothetical ones: paranoia, denial, schizophrenia, Mean world syndrome.

Take your pick.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: Peacekeeping de-value

ITN, conspiracy is not a theory, you would do well to remember that my reality challenged colleague,the unfounded belief that it never applys to your government is.
In the case of the destruction of your Holy Buildings we need not consider the fog of psychology we have simple physics to support the truth, which will exist forever despite your attempts to bury it.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
The earth is flat. Bush destroyed the Twin Towers. LMAO.

Awarding Pearson the Peace Prize has been a disaster for Canada's military. Turned them into a boy scout operation.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ha, would the real Zoofer post in here. How can you prove you are the real Zoofer? Are you really Zoofer or are you someone pretending to be Zoofer, that's the question to ask. It's a cover up, I smell corruption. Gotta run the microwave is talking to me.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Cortez. You are absolutely right. Our soldiers are indeed at war. They were also at war in the Medak pocket and engaged the enemy even though they were called peacekeepers. That in fact is the point I am trying to make. Not that peacekeeping is dishonourable, but an elaborate type of spin used by politicians to legitimize placing them in harms way without answering to the populace.

Not until we changed government has there been even a hint about our soldiers being used in a combat in afghanistan. That is not until the ruling liberal government was voted out. They have been slugging it out in afghanistan since day one, but portrayed as peacekeepers. It was not the Conservatives who put them there. The Liberal government changed the mission.

What I'm getting at is that they are soldiers first. At the ready when we need them. All other tasks are secondary. The sooner we understand that the better.

Darkbeaver: Make sure you wear your tinfoil hat to bed so the klingons don't suck your brains out. Oh yeah don't forget your spiderman Jammies. LOL....
What a gullable smurf. ROFLMAO!!!!

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Darkbeaver: Make sure you wear your tinfoil hat to bed so the klingons don't suck your brains out. Oh yeah don't forget your spiderman Jammies. LOL....

:lol:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Peacekeeping de-value

darkbeaver said:
ITN, conspiracy is not a theory, you would do well to remember that my reality challenged colleague,the unfounded belief that it never applys to your government is.

Did I say never? I just find it odd that as early as the American Revolution, left-wing nutjobs have sought to discredit any act related to American history as a ploy from the government to rally support from the dumbdowned populace to further their "agenda". Whatever the hell that agenda is.

darkbeaver said:
In the case of the destruction of your Holy Buildings we need not consider the fog of psychology we have simple physics to support the truth, which will exist forever despite your attempts to bury it.

You have nothing, other than ramblings of conspiracy theorists that are hell bent on making money, either by sale of books or getting website hits. You say physics support your argument? You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Peacekeeping de-value

I think not said:
darkbeaver said:

Did I say never? I just find it odd that as early as the American Revolution, left-wing nutjobs have sought to discredit any act related to American history as a ploy from the government to rally support from the dumbdowned populace to further their "agenda". Whatever the hell that agenda is.

darkbeaver said:

You have nothing, other than ramblings of conspiracy theorists that are hell bent on making money, either by sale of books or getting website hits. You say physics support your argument? You show me yours and I'll show you mine.
Beaver rants are the same as the rants of Alex Jones or now Charlie Sheen when it comes to 9/11 Conspiracy Theories.

The theories such as the FDNY placed explosives in the WTC Towers, or the plane that hit WTC 2 had a missile mounted on the bottom, or the planes were flown by remote control, or a plane never hit the Pentagon or the biggest one, 7000 Jews who worked in the WTC did not show up that day because they were warned as 9/11 was a Mossad operation.

These kind of people can't be reasoned with.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cortez. You are absolutely right. Our soldiers are indeed at war. They were also at war in the Medak pocket and engaged the enemy even though they were called peacekeepers. That in fact is the point I am trying to make. Not that peacekeeping is dishonourable, but an elaborate type of spin used by politicians to legitimize placing them in harms way without answering to the populace.

Not until we changed government has there been even a hint about our soldiers being used in a combat in afghanistan. That is not until the ruling liberal government was voted out. They have been slugging it out in afghanistan since day one, but portrayed as peacekeepers. It was not the Conservatives who put them there. The Liberal government changed the mission.

What I'm getting at is that they are soldiers first. At the ready when we need them. All other tasks are secondary. The sooner we understand that the better.

Yup Theyre at war. They shouldnt be.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

cortez said:
NATO SHMATO

canada should have attacked the punjab in response to the air india bombing and expected its nato allies to help

spain should have attacked morrocco in response to the madrid bombings and expected nato to help

england should have attacked ireland for any number of ira bombings and expected nato to help

SCRAP NATO

This is probably the dumbest post I have ever seen.

Morrocco did not support, aid, provide military bases, nor did they refuse to turn over the terrorists responsible in the Madrid bombings.

For Canada to have attacked the nation that offered comfort to the instigators of the Air India tragedy, we would have had to attack ourselves.

Great Britain has had military forces in ireland for 900 years.

In addition, we hae treaties with the Americans outside of NATO that require us to come to the aid of the Americans if they are attacked.