Harper not a cowboy, why?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The link below has a picture of Stephen Harper in 2005 at the Calgary Stampede wearing a cowboy hat, vest and small tie.

http://calgarygrit.blogspot.com/2005/07/glad-as-hell-tour-05-calgary-stop.html

He was considered to have looked silly. Some men can dress up as a cowboy, others can't. This was in reality a very good photo-op for Harper. It meant to easterners: even though Harper led a western party, he wasn't a westerner but was actually still an Ontario boy. So it was okay to vote for him.

Adequate Reform party baggage has been appropriately shed, Harper is no grassroots western populist. Might as well call it the Ontario Convervative party.

This could be a litmus test, politicians and emdia should dress up to see who can realistically conjure up the spirit of a cowboy and those who can't. Could be fun and something could be learned about the country. There is something about the image of the cowboy that is interesting.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
Re: RE: Harper not a cowboy, why?

Mogz said:
Looks like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show....yikes....

I was thinking the Village People

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mr. Speaker, I move that the Governor General of Canada be authorized to appoint, from time to time, a Commissioner of Democratic Limitation, to be styled the Honourable Assassin General, to "take care of" the Prime Minister if he ever even thinks about approaching leather again.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Harper not a cowboy, why?

FiveParadox said:
Mr. Speaker, I move that the Governor General of Canada be authorized to appoint, from time to time, a Commissioner of Democratic Limitation, to be styled the Honourable Assassin General, to "take care of" the Prime Minister if he ever even thinks about approaching leather again.

ROTFLMAO :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :)

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Harper could not be a Cdn PM and look like a cowboy because when one thinks of cowboys, what else comes to mind? Indians. They are wild and savage in the Midwest, riding over a huge dusty desert and big sky. Cowboys are country boys while Indians are definitely boys from the country. A country that is definitely culturally distinct from Europe.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

That picture can't be real! :lol: :laughing5: :laughing5: :lol:
It looks like a Photo-Shop Job. :lol:
I can just see Steven Harper going to Bush's Ranch dressed like that. :laughing5:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
They should have given him a pair of pistols or something...

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
That photo does look off. Although if Harper were to try on that get up, I'm sure that's exactly what he would look like, only fatter. :D

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
well as silly as he looks can you imagine chretien or martin going for the cowboy look?

and utah it would be hilarous if harper went to bushs ranch dressed like that....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That photos reminds me, every time, of the National Press Gallery Dinner.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper took a shot from Martin -- one related to a photo from this summer's Calgary Stampede that became known as the "gay cowboy" photo.

Martin said he used the same hotel room Harper did just after the Tory leader vacated it, noting Harper forgot something that he'd been meaning to give back.

Martin then held up a little leather cowboy vest.

"Now, let me just say that Stephen took a lot of flack for that cowboy get-up. But frankly, I was offended by the way you all got on his case," he told the crowd.

"You seem to have forgotten that what's great for Canada is that each of us in our own way can decide how we'll show our support for gay pride."

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cet article est epuisé en français.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean, on the job just under a month, took aim at a few of the controversies that surrounded her appointment.

For example, some claimed she was a separatist sympathizer.

"Was I ever a separatist? Of course -- when I had to separate from the CBC to become GG!" she joked.

At least she understands the issue, cause I wasn't sure they did.