Afghanistan spin -doctoring

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Official truth, unofficial consequences

Though spin-doctoring might serve to drum up support at home for Canada's military mission, the army's unseemly eagerness to pin blame on Taliban insurgents or reckless Afghans as the authors of their own misfortunes will do little to win the hearts and minds of the people there.

>by Stephen Kimber
March 21, 2006

Why did a 16-year-old boy really attack Canadian army Capt. Trevor Greene with an axe in the Afghan village of Shinkay earlier this month?

And what actually happened in that Kandahar City roundabout last week when a Canadian soldier shot and killed an unarmed, middle-aged Afghan man?

Truth is a slippery beast, especially in the fear-filled middle of a surreal, kill-or-be-killed war zone, where it's virtually impossible to distinguish friend from foe but where a soldier must — in an instant — decide who is which, or risk his own death and the deaths of his comrades.

This is not a column about a soldier's instantaneous, moment-of-decision truth.

This is a column about Official Truth. And its unofficial consequences.

Within hours of the attack on Trevor Greene, Canada's military brass had its official version of events firmly in place. Even though, as a Canadian Press report put it, the army “rarely reveals much of the intelligence it gathers,” Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, the head of Canada's Task Force Afghanistan, eagerly “confirmed” to reporters that “this individual was a Taliban.”

The story did not reveal how the general knew this. The circumstantial evidence — children being shuffled away from where Greene was meeting with elders, a brief firefight following the incident in which unseen attackers fired at the Canadians from inside and outside the village, and the fact that all the village's able-bodied men seemed to disappear in the aftermath of the attack — might suggest a carefully orchestrated ambush.

Or it could simply indicate that local mothers weren't too keen on having their children playing around the menacing, gun-toting Canadian soldiers who were watching over the meeting. And that local men, some of whom were, in fact, chased after the attack by Canadian troops, decided it was wiser to melt into the mountains than risk the wrath of soldiers who might choose to blame them for what happened to their comrade.

There is, in fact, a different image of the boy who attacked Greene. Village elders, who traveled to the Canadian base two days after to apologize for what had happened, said the boy who attacked the captain was mentally ill and had, in fact, previously murdered his own sister.

“What happened was an accident,” one elder told Canadian soldiers. “The guy was crazy.”

A deranged teenager, of course, is a less compelling villain than a Taliban insurgent, so “this individual was a Taliban.”

In the case of the man killed in Kandahar City, the official version — issued equally swiftly after the incident — is that a Canadian patrol was parked at the side of a road when a rickshaw taxi, which had already “blown past” an Afghan military checkpoint, barreled toward the Canadian vehicle. Soldiers used shouts, hand gestures and even pointed a spotlight at the taxi to order the driver to stop, but he ignored them. Finally, with the vehicle within a metre of the Canadians, a soldier opened fire, wounding passenger Nasrat Ali Hassan. A Canadian medic examined the man at the scene, did not think his injuries life threatening and left him to his own devices. Afghan police eventually took the man to the hospital where he died a few hours later.

Hassan's widow, who was also in the rickshaw, says that's not how it happened. Semen Gul told a Toronto Star reporter, “I know all about police checkpoints. We were not stopped by the Afghans. And there was no warning shot from the Canadians, no shouting, no shots fired in the air, no light shining on us. There was only this sudden gunfire — three shots — and my husband falling out of the rickshaw into the street.”

It turns out that her husband, a poor Shiite who supported his family by making tin pots and pans, was engaged in nothing more threatening than trying to get back home with six members of his family in a noisy, overburdened rickshaw taxi after having enjoyed a pleasant dinner with a relative. No guns or explosives were found in the vehicle.

Although there will now be an official investigation, the Canadian military didn't wait for its results to begin putting its own propaganda gloss on what happened that night.

Though all of this spin-doctoring might serve to drum up support at home for Canada's military mission in Afghanistan, the army's unseemly eagerness to pin blame on Taliban insurgents or reckless Afghans as the authors of their own misfortunes will do little to win the hearts and minds of the people there, who may come to fear their Canadian liberators as much as their Taliban oppressors.

Listen to Semen Gul, who lived for many years in Iran before returning home with her family after the American-led invasion, hopeful, ironically, of a better future: “If there had been a warning,” she told the Star, “we would have stopped, of course… You think we are all Taliban or Al Qaeda... I don't hate Canadians. But I can't forgive them… They do not have the right to shoot at Afghans… You cannot come to our country and kill us… Let them shoot at people in their own country, not here.”

Stephen Kimber is a professor of journalism at the University of King's College in Halifax. This column has appeared in The Daily News.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No spin doctoring. Just silly people who decry they want every right and freedom, but just don't want to pay for them.

It's very easy darkbeaver. You go live in the middle east, abandon your free speech, your music and your freedom of religion. Then get up on your silly naive soapbox and talk about spin doctoring.

I would argue that the young girls now allowed to go to school without fear would argue your point of view on their lives, but heck I must be spinning this so we can bomb a few muslims and import imperialism.

Why is it that human rights only matter when we are considered the aggressor? Can the taliban have it's way?

Your naivete is burning brightly.

Just a Canadian soldier.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Afghanistan spin -doc

From every source I've seen, that mumbo-jumbo about women being all free and equal in Agghanistan is nothing more than a fantasy in the media- I will endeavour to get a link or two supporting it... and again, what about the converted Christian fellow who's being put to death?? sounds like something the dreaded Taliban would sponsor, the same crimes used to justify the current mission there, only now we're sponsoring them

No naievete here BTW, I like to really understand stuff and not just spout rhetoric that provokes basic emotional responses

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Afghanistan spin -doc

mabudon said:
sounds like something the dreaded Taliban would sponsor, the same crimes used to justify the current mission there, only now we're sponsoring them

The reason we went into Afganistan is 9/11.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

Ohh okay, from the endless repetitions of that piece of video of the execution of that woman on the soccer field I thought there were more "emotional hijack" reasons for doing so, damn media :D

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Re: RE: Afghanistan spin -doctoring

Retired_Can_Soldier said:
No spin doctoring. Just silly people who decry they want every right and freedom, but just don't want to pay for them.

It's very easy darkbeaver. You go live in the middle east, abandon your free speech, your music and your freedom of religion. Then get up on your silly naive soapbox and talk about spin doctoring.

I would argue that the young girls now allowed to go to school without fear would argue your point of view on their lives, but heck I must be spinning this so we can bomb a few muslims and import imperialism.

Why is it that human rights only matter when we are considered the aggressor? Can the taliban have it's way?

Your naivete is burning brightly.

Just a Canadian soldier.

You have no idea what I have paid for my rights and freedoms.
I support the extermination of the Taliban and thier pets, if there is no war with Pakistan the Taliban will thrive and continue to attack western forces, the Taliban cannot be defeated in Afghanistan.
Your childish characterization of me reveals your naivete of the nature
of the conflict,it requires that you reduce your argument to that of jingoistic nonsence, you are afterall just a Canadian soldier not a tactician not a stratigist not a policy maker just a peeler of potatoes and a digger of latrines, you will follow orders you will obey the will of the people, you do however have input and if you have foolishly squandered that input by voting for the conservatives then thats a shame.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You understand less about tactics than a smurf. Your reaction to my assessment speaks volumes of your naive and somewhat pathetic point if view.

Keep talking or should I say ranting. It exposes you for what you are. I don't need to point it out your doing fine all ny yourself.

You know nothing of my expertise or lack thereof you peon.
I should expect nothing less from one who claims to be educated, but lacks an ounce of street sense.

It's your thread Darkbeaver and you entertaining the heck out of everyone with your dictionary dot com psycho-babble.

LOL

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
The only spin-doctoring I see and hear on Afghanistan are by those who are trying to find every possible reason why Canada should not be there by taking small events and spinning them into something more then they really are. Such was when the Canadian Soldier was attacked with an Axe, Anti-Canadian Mission in Afghanistan Spin Doctors are trying to make it seem the Afghani who attacked the Soldier represents every Afghani.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

You understand less about tactics than a smurf. Your reaction to my assessment speaks volumes of your naive and somewhat pathetic point if view.

Keep talk or should I say ranting. It exposes you for what you are. I don't need to point it out your doing fine all ny yourself.

You know nothing of my expertise or lack thereof you peon. LOL

You are a smurf and embued with all the sentience of same, I know everything about you through your efforts at communication, perhaps english is not your mother tung, I am honoured to be a peon,and as such I freely pee on you. Have a nice day, sorry about your mind.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You hit the nail on the head Johnny Utah. Folks like that embrace the enemy rather than acknowledge that our troops are over there for honourable reasons.

Can you smell the dissent? They feed on it.

Cheers
M

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
i think we talked about this on another thread-yer wasting yer time in afganistan---if any stability is ever established there- big if-- the millisecond the internatonal forces move out-- the taliban will jump right back in from pakistan--- the afgan mission is a waste-- unless you want to stay there for like-- ever

and if its people like you who are fighting it---my confidence in it is zero

by the way

i LOVE the smell of dissent in the morning

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

You hit the nail on the head Johnny Utah. Folks like that embrace the enemy rather than acknowledge that our troops are over there for honourable reasons.

Can you smell the dissent? They feed on it.

Cheers
M

The cost of your personal sacrifice in the service of Canukistan and her people is apparent, the loss of your capacity for thought and discrimination must be a terrible burden to your family and friends.
Let us hope that you have retained enough motor control to start your lawnmower which is most likly the greatest challenge you will face in the near future.You couldn't smell shit in your mustache.

Your superior
DarkBeaver
RR1 Canukistan :lol:

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
darkbeaver said:

>by Stephen Kimber

A Canadian medic examined the man at the scene, did not think his injuries life threatening and left him to his own devices.

News.

shot him... by mistake... then left him to his own devices

what a bunch of retards

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Johnny Utah said:
T Anti-Canadian Mission in Afghanistan Spin Doctors are trying to make it seem the Afghani who attacked the Soldier represents every Afghani.

bushlicker afgan mission supporters are like trying to make it seem like those canadian soldiers over there represent every canadian

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
cortez said:
darkbeaver said:

>by Stephen Kimber

A Canadian medic examined the man at the scene, did not think his injuries life threatening and left him to his own devices.

News.

shot him... by mistake... then left him to his own devices

what a bunch of retards

maybe the soldier was sharing his "friendly" bullets....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Where have they gone, they have retired from the virtual battlefield, it was just a skirmish, I question thier valour, perhaps next time they will load thier little weapons.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Godsmack to you righteous true north warriors
defenders of western liberal democrasy i mean hypocrisy
but be wary of pot holes and tiny rickshaw taxis