Conservative Child Care plan puts women back at home

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
TORONTO (CP) - Fewer Canadian women will be able to contribute to the national economy if the federal Conservative government scraps a national child-care program set up by their Liberal predecessors, women's advocates said Monday.

A report prepared for YWCA Canada says more women will have to stay home without the increased day care spots made available under the five-year Liberal program introduced last year, which the Conservatives have promised to cancel after this year.

"We can't afford not to make this investment," study co-author Debra Mayer told a symposium on the issue at Toronto's city hall.

A difficult struggle to find day care spaces gets harder when parents - particularly shift workers - try to accommodate tight work schedules, Mayer said. Plus, finding sufficient care for children with special needs can complicate the problem, she added.

"Barrier after barrier is what our parents in Canada are faced with," Mayer said.

The $5-billion, five-year program introduced by the former Liberal government is slated to be replaced next year with direct $1,200 payments to parents for each child under age six.

Even with those payments, however, parents would still have day care expenses to cover, eliminating the incentives for many mothers to return to work or school, Mayer said.

YWCA Canada CEO Paulette Senior acknowledged the $1,200 payments are beneficial to parents as a family allowance, but don't address broader day care needs.

"We believe that Canada can actually do both," Senior said.

More than two-thirds of Canadian women with a child under the age of six are in the workforce, Senior estimated. Forcing them to return home because they can't afford child care costs is an issue of equal rights, she said.

"While all family members are affected, women pay a disproportionate price when quality child care is not available."

Federal Social Development Minister Diane Finley has not wavered from the Conservative commitment to cancel the Liberal program by March 31, 2007.

Finley declined the opportunity to speak at Monday's event.

Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba all signed five-year funding deals with the former Liberal government, but they allow either side to opt out with 12 months notice. Other provinces had one-year agreements in principle as they negotiated longer terms.

Opposition critics at the symposium pledged to battle the Conservatives over their child-care strategy when Parliament resumes April 3.

Liberal MP Carolyn Bennett, who is said to be mulling a run at party's upcoming federal leadership contest, said the Liberals may not have articulated the issue adequately during the last election campaign.

"It's a shame that in some ways, we didn't do a good enough job, I think, for the people of Canada, to understand really the importance ... of this extraordinarily important social infrastructure," she said.

Scrapping the Liberal program is "not a choice to the young mom who really thought that she was going back to school this September, or really thought she was going back to work," Bennett added.

New Democrat MP Olivia Chow is also spoiling for a fight.

"I can't wait until April 3 to deliver a message that . . . we need to protect these agreements," Chow said.

"We need multi-year funding, not just this coming year . . . .You can't just open a child care centre and then close them. Kids continue to be born."

Ontario Child and Youth Services Minister Mary Anne Chambers held out some hope that discussions with Finley might offer some more help for parents.

"This is not a partisan issue," Chambers said. "We actually signed an agreement as the government of Ontario with the government of Canada on behalf of parents and children in Ontario."
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n032039A.xml

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Gee wiz...I was debating staying at home with the kids. Does that make me a woman or is this just a BS argument...

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.
RE: Conservative Child Ca

...Didn't everyone know this already...? I mean, no one came out and said it directly. But the Liberal Candidate for my riding, Chris Axworthy said something on his pamphlet along the lines of, "we believe both parents contributing etc. etc."
And I was watchin cpac and Stephen Harper said something about, "respecting different cultures and how they may do things differently. etc. etc"

Gee wiz...I was debating staying at home with the kids. Does that make me a woman or is this just a BS argument...

It's common knowledge that although some men may stay at home with their kids, the majority of childcare is done by women.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well I think we can understand the politics being played here....

The federal government has no business being involved in education anyways.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
And also, good child care choice.

All the money remains in the government's hands, billions and billions of it as people try to deal with problems that the article addresses. Good one Jay. Let a mother who can't deal with a 'sick' child take care of him or her when you have now professionally trained people.

Really really smart.

Damn conservative cheap-skate *censored*

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it should be interesting to see how they are going to implement this child care program, when the three Opposition parties oppose them in the House of Commons — any Act to implement the credit would likely fail there ... and if the Commons were to somehow pass that legislation, they could be faced with major opposition from the Senate.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
And also, good child care choice.

All the money remains in the government's hands, billions and billions of it as people try to deal with problems that the article addresses. Good one Jay. Let a mother who can't deal with a 'sick' child take care of him or her when you have now professionally trained people.

Really really smart.

Damn conservative cheap-skate *censored*

What are you talking about? Sick kids go the doctor, or the hospital not daycare....and you already have the feds involved in that other jurisdiction they have no business being in.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This article is the worst piece of partisan bullshit I've ever read in my life.

In the first line, it claims "fewer women will be able to contribute....."

How do you figure? They are contributing NOW, with no help. The Liberal plan had not taken effect. The Conservative plan would at least give them a little extra boost.

In paragraph 4, the writer claims shift workers will be especially hurt by the cancellation.....Oh Spare me! Shift workers would get NOTHING from the Liberal plan, as day cares are typically open from 7 to 5:30. Period.

The Conservative plan offers tax incentives for companies to create on-site day care, as well as the $100 a month that would be spent as the parent sees fit, i.e. for in-home off-hours care.

I love this crap. Here we have a group of professional, well-paid, 9 to 5 workers crying because the government is not going to subsidize THEIR day care centres. To hell with thiose who WANT to stay at home, to hell with the working poor, who work shift work. To hell with Moms who stay home with their kids and take in one or two of their friends' kids for extra money.

Its all about the Ivory Tower view of the emancipated professional, and to hell with the barbarians who live in a different culture.

I'd like to line these ladies up, and give them each a swift boot in the arse.

I've rasised kids.

I've have close friends who have raised kids.

My son now has a family of his own.

I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE CASE WHERE GOVERNMENT -SUBSIDIZED DAY CARE WOULD HAVE HELPED ANY OF THESE PEOPLE EVEN A TINY BIT.

For these reasons:

- Shift Work.

- Moms (even poor Moms) who WANTED to stay home.

- Kids (my own) who had a very bad reaction to being left in day care.

- Lack of transport to whisk kids about. Sorry dears, we don't all have SUVs for kid transport.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You lost me...what does that have to do with the crazy national daycare program?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Conservative Child Care plan puts women back at home

FiveParadox said:
I think it should be interesting to see how they are going to implement this child care program, when the three Opposition parties oppose them in the House of Commons — any Act to implement the credit would likely fail there ... and if the Commons were to somehow pass that legislation, they could be faced with major opposition from the Senate.

That's fine.

Let the government fall over this. Let's go to a new election, forced on us by the NDP and the leaderless, directionless Liberals.

Let's do it over a bill that would put money in the pockets of all parents.

Can you say Conservative majority?

Without a shudder?

I sure can.

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.
RE: Conservative Child Ca

In the first line, it claims "fewer women will be able to contribute....."

There are women who want to work but cannot because they have children etc. etc. And thus, fewer women will be able to contribute. You understood this sentance incorrectly. It's not that women don't contribute now, it's just that many women who want to contribute cannot because of this.

The lovely thing about this all, is that no matter what happens you're going to have people complaining. But FiveParadox is right, this isn't going to work out anyway. So those who are worried the Conservatives might make a mess, chill out. It's not going to happen.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just because the Conservatives were elected, does not mean that they should have the right to force their agenda through the House of Commons and the Senate without rejection or amendment; they were elected with a plurality of seats and, therefore, their policies are subject to the amendment or rejection of the House of Commons.

And no, I can't say "Conservative majority" without shuddering.

I doubt Canadians would be so trusting of the Tories if we were thrown into a sudden election because of the arrogance of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Colpy said:
FiveParadox said:

That's fine.

Let the government fall over this. Let's go to a new election, forced on us by the NDP and the leaderless, directionless Liberals.

Let's do it over a bill that would put money in the pockets of all parents.

Can you say Conservative majority?

Without a shudder?

I sure can.

That's right. Let's play games on Liberal time.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If the Government of Canada attempts to push through appropriation legislation that they know is going to fail, and thus result in a loss of confidence in the Cabinet, then that is their responsibility. They should know, damned well, that such a thing is not going to pass in the current House; and even if passed, the Senate would also attempt to turn the legislation into a compromise through amendments.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, of course I know they won the election.

However, they won with only a minority of seats. Therefore, they must acknowledge that they do not have the right to implement whatever policies they see fit without the consent of the House of Commons; if they attempt to do so, they are going to be defeated. There is no other way to say it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

FiveParadox said:
Just because the Conservatives were elected, does not mean that they should have the right to force their agenda through the House of Commons and the Senate without rejection or amendment; they were elected with a plurality of seats and, therefore, their policies are subject to the amendment or rejection of the House of Commons.

And no, I can't say "Conservative majority" without shuddering.

I doubt Canadians would be so trusting of the Tories if we were thrown into a sudden election because of the arrogance of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Certainly nobody knows what would happen. But the Conservatives are in a much better position to go into election than the Liberals were in the last election. The liberals are currently a mess. They have no leader.

The government always has an advantage, especially when they are forced into two elections within a year.

the Conservatives are now seen as an alternative in Quebec, and could only gain seats there.

I think a summer election would result in very minor gains for the NDP. Some loss for the BQ. And it would be a disaster for the Liberals.

Be careful what you wish for.