Harper—Emerson Inquiry Released

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Doctor Bernard Shapiro, the Ethics Commissioner of Canada, today released his report of the Harper—Emerson Inquiry. The Commissioner has indicated that Sections 8, 9 and 10 of the Code were not, in fact, breached, and that no out-of-the-ordinary inducement was made to the Honourable David Emerson, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver Kingsway and the Minister of International Trade in order for him to enter into the Cabinet.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Ethics Commissioner.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I hope the NDP's floor crossing bill passes! Crossing the floor ex right after an election is giving the middle fingure to everyone who elected him, plus the abuses of donated money and party money spent. He ran as a liberal, people donated money because he was a liberal and they elected a liberal but got a conservative. Complete and utter bullsh*t!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I read the entire report; while the New Democratic Party of Canada Web site says that the Ethics Commissioner of Canada speaks in favour of anti-floor-crossing legislation in the report, this is entirely untrue.

I am shocked that the NDP would twist the Commissioner's words like that.

All that Dr. Shapiro said, was that Parliament should have a debate on the matter.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am not a huge fan of floor-crossing, especially in return for cabinet posts, as done by Brison, Stronach, and Emmerson.

It is, however, part of the system.

Winston Churchill, on crossing the floor his SECOND time...

"Anyone can rat, to re-rat requires a touch of genius."

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do not think that we should have to legislate to prohibit crossing the floor — the Westminster system was built to be flexible, and I see a certain imperative in ensuring that such flexibility is retained insofar as is possible. I fear that if, one day, parties should fracture or a government is to collapse, that the inability of members to cross the floor of the House of Commons could force the nation into elections at most inopportune times.

The only legislation we need is the legislative force behind a citizen's subsequent vote — one approves, or one disapproves; where one has crossed the House against one's wishes, then one can show their disapproval at the subsequent election. Elect the candidate, not the party (easier said than done, but that's how it should be done).

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I have no idea why you support this system of government which doesn't care what the voters want Paradox. He was elected only weeks before crossing as a liberal, camped as a liberal, spent donations for him as a liberal cabinet, if anything this shows how bad our system is when political opritunists can get away with such activities. No wonder Canadians are apathetic to politics, I'm surprised anyone still supports this system! Including you Paradox, this isn't a conservative stance to the system but a political opritunist stance!

You are saying by agreeing that this sort of thing is right that the MP has a right to ignore the people who voted him in to REPRESENT THEM. I have to completely, totally disagree with you on this one. Gawd sometimes I wonder about you Paradox, I think you would be happy in a nation with some sort of Liberal Monarchy where you don't get to vote, but since it's liberal you feel protected and unconcerned about who gets to chose your leader.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Finder, your assertions that I somehow don't care, or that I am somehow opposed to democracy, are offensive and blatently untrue. Perhaps you should read my posts with an open mind instead of assuming, off-the-bat, that I'm only interesting in partisan opportunities.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I am shocked that the NDP would twist the Commissioner's words like that.

Shocked? It's the NDP man...

That said, I find this whole issue hilarious. As pointed out, the guy used Liberal funding, was voted in by Liberal simps, and then crossed the floor whilst the ballot boxes were still warm. I chuckle every time I hear about it, as no doubt does Emerson.