Tibet More Newsworthy than Others

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On March 10, David Chernushenko, the Deputy Leader of the Green Party of Canada addressed an audience at an assembly to support the peaceful struggle in Tibet for independence; he commented on how the issues in Tibet are not making the news, because in his opinion, it is not comprised of armed attacks and slaughters.

Mr. Chernushenko commented on how he believed that addressing issues such as the situation in Tibet more prominently would help to counter a sort of perverse arms race which, in his opinion, would be more of a harm to the security and safety of both the United States of America and the People's Republic of China than any other sources.

David Chernushenko said:
A mutual satisfactory settlement to the Tibet issue has the potential - especially with the Beijing Olympics fast approaching- to build immense international good will and trust that would counter the impulse behind the new arms race building in the region. An Arms Race that will perversely increase the real security risk to both China and United States by re-directing immense resources from critical environmental and social pressures that are growing more serious every year in both those countries.

The current Oil Wars, the extreme weather events, the toxic spills, the growing riots and social unrest in both China and the U.S. , these are not imaginary, and they will test both those powerful nations to their limits and possibly beyond. Their leaders would be wise indeed to steward resources today for the domestic challenges ahead, instead of dispersing them in yet another wasteful Cold War Arms Race.

Click here to read the entire speech, in English.
Cette parole n'est pas encore sur le site Web en français.
:?: Sources
Click here for the Web site of the Green Party of Canada.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now I don't agree with Independence for Tibet, like I don't agree for independence for Kosovo as well.

One, the Dali Lama has said he wants greater autonomy for Tibet not independence, and the younger generations seem to be going more 'Chinese' oriented.

Two, it only appears foreign people support this independence push, I haven't seen any Tibetan groups except for the Dali Lama's group which wants autonomy.

And in Kosovo, the ethnic Albanians deceived the world by claming genocide when only 2,000 + were killed not 10,000 and then tried to kick out minority populations.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Tibet has every reason like Palestine to be independent,
Jersay. You oughta go check out the history of
ethnic domination by China in Tibet and the province
of Sinkiang from the 1950s, and you ought to know
this is as every bit as cynically calculated as you bewail
the plight of Palestine.

Dig in to it more.

Just like you ought to do for the Kurds.

And I'll challenge you further, neither the LEFT or the
RIGHT is consistent in its outrage for those peoples
denied an autonomy they deserve AND have earned.

I'm amused by your LEFTIST inconsistencies on these
matters as much as you take umbrage at the hypocrisy
of the RIGHT.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Since the Dali Lama speaks for the people of Tibet, or at least he did, he wants autonomy.

And the fact is, Tibet was quasi-independent in the 16h to 19th century. Then it declared independence from China in 1911 after the revolution. However, it was taken back by the Chinese in 1950.

Now if the Tibetans, and not Westerners want Independence, because all I have seen is westerners speak of Tibetan independence then I will support it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"Now I don't agree with Independence for Tibet, like I don't agree for independence for Kosovo as well."

I neither agree nor disagree.

"One, the Dali Lama has said he wants greater autonomy for Tibet not independence, and the younger generations seem to be going more 'Chinese' oriented."

That is true. His main concern is for the religious and language rights of the Tibetan people; at the moment, the Tibetan language, while offered symbolic protection in Chinese law (i.e., it's equally official side by said with Putonghua), the law ignores the fact that Putonghua is also a major world language, thsu a juggernought compared to Tibetan, a little like if we simply accorded equal rights for Englsih and French in Quebec). And so perhaps before we worry about independance for Tibet, let's first focu on saving its culture.

"Two, it only appears foreign people support this independence push, I haven't seen any Tibetan groups except for the Dali Lama's group which wants autonomy."

I know he's not even pushing for independance, and even as for atuonomy, agian its mainly on the cultural, not political, front.

"And in Kosovo, the ethnic Albanians deceived the world by claming genocide when only 2,000 + were killed not 10,000 and then tried to kick out minority populations."

Oh there is ethnic tension in Tibet, without a doubt. But it's usually Tibetans doing the killing, with the government just doing the suppressing. I guess it's like Northern Ireland to some extent, but with many major differences none the less.