Oil Discovery in Afghanistan

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Scientists discover new Afghan oil

Wednesday 15 March 2006, 5:13 Makka Time, 2:13 GMT
Two geological basins in northern Afghanistan hold 18 times more oil and triple the natural gas resources than was previously thought, government scientists have revealed.

Nearly 1.6 billion barrels of oil, mostly in the Afghan-Tajik Basin, and about 15.7 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, mainly in the Amu Darya Basin, could be tapped, Afghanistan's Ministry of Mines and Industry and the US Geological Survey said on Tuesday.

Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president, described the estimates as "very positive findings", particularly since the country now imports most of its energy, including electricity.

"Knowing more about our country's petroleum resources will enable us to take steps to develop our energy potential which is crucial for our energy's growth," said Karzai, whose government was created after the US-led invasion in 2001 and later won national elections.

Significant find

The $2 million assessment, paid for by the independent US Trade and Development Agency, was nearly four years in the making, said Daniel Stein, the agency's regional director for Europe and Eurasia.

The total area assessed was only about one-sixth of the two basins' 200,000 square miles that lie within Afghanistan.

Afghanistan's petroleum reserves were previously thought to hold 88 million barrels of oil and five trillion cubic feet of natural gas, based on Afghan and Soviet estimates for 15 oil and gas fields opened between 1957 and 1984. But just three of those have operated recently.

"There is a significant amount of undiscovered oil in northern Afghanistan," said Patrick Leahy, the US Geological Survey's acting director.

He said the other oilfields were abandoned, or the equipment there was damaged and rocks had filled the wells.

More work remains to assess petroleum reserves, conduct seismic exploration and rehabilitate wells, say government and industry officials.
AP

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Oil Discovery in Afgh

wasnt that the main reason for going there? lol
(of course sorry...Al-Kaieda)

nice to see all those troops deaths paid off in the end

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
With this oil find, it will provide jobs for the Afghani people, make the Afghani's less reliant on opium and will line the pockets of Bush and Cheney, because that is why they went in isn't it? :wink:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

all life is sacred no matter the rights or wrongs.

no, I wasnt being sarcastic, I honestly believe oil was a large factor in that war......as blackleaf said...can I take out the population of irish america?...would that be justified because of Canary Warf or warrington?, or perhaps the downing street bombings?

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB
Maybe this will help bring some life back to the Afghan economy. Lord knows between the Soviets invasion, the civil war and the Taliban rule, they probably could use it.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

yeah....I wonder who the companies will be to lend a hand eh?......Amico and BP I would place money on.....I wonder how many shares the Bush family have in them

shortmanx5

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2006
sorry u misunderstood it, i meant that a few hunreds deaths is worth getting revenge for 9/11

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If Operation Enduring Freedom is nothing more than seeking reprisal through oil, then maybe I have changed my opinion. This should be put to a vote and, if this is determined, then Canada should withdraw from Afghanistan at once.

I have no intention of supporting any such mission.

I sincerely hope that Canada's involvement is in no way related to oil, nor any sort of "revenge" tactics. We should be there to support the reconstruction and restructuring of a democratic government in Iraq, not taking potshots because we're still cranky.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I think most of the world were like.....welcome to the "I've been blown up by terrorists" club.

although I think the british thought "not them bloody afghans again!!....we've already thought 3 wars against u lot and got our backsides beat!!"

but we followed......as usual

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

took our time about it...yeah one up on Alexander the great....I fear Iraq will be a harder nut to crack

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
March 2002

When U.S. warplanes strafed [with AC-130 gunships] the farming village of Chowkar-Karez, 25 miles north of Kandahar on October 22-23rd,killing at least 93 civilians, a Pentagon official said, "the people there are dead because we wanted them dead." The reason? They sympathized with the Taliban1. When asked about the Chowkar incident, Rumsfeld replied, "I cannot deal with that particular village."2

Between Oct 7th 2001 and march 2002 there were between 3,000 to3,400 civilian deaths from American bombing.
[/url]http://www.curser.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm