Harper Makes Surprise Visit To Our Soilders

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Harper makes secret high-security visit to troops in Afghanistan
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Stephen Harper has made a surprise visit to Afghanistan's most violent corner at a time when polls suggest there is growing unease about Canada's more robust role there.

Harper says he wants to show support for the soldiers, aid workers, and diplomats conducting what he considers Canada's most important foreign mission in decades.

The prime minister arrived in Kandahar by military aircraft after a secret departure from Ottawa over the weekend.

Only a small group of government staff and journalists were given last-minute notice of the trip, along with a warning that the trip would be cancelled if details leaked out in advance.

Harper is sleeping on an international military base during his Afghan visit and plans to meet frequently with troops in the field as well as sharing meals with them in the mess hall.

Eleven Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died in Afghanistan since 2002, prompting renewed debate back home.

©The Canadian Press, 2006

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kudos to Prime Minister

I thank and support the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southeast and Prime Minister of Canada for such a gesture; now more than ever, with debate renewing here in Canada (warranted debate at that, in my opinion), it is important that the Government of Canada continues to represent the citizens of Canada in their constant endeavours to support the Canadian Armed Forces and its members.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Yea the soilders don't deserve to take such a hit in support because the former government failed miserably in properly explaining what we are doing over there. The lack of significant verbal support coming out of even the PM's office under the Liberals was shameful. Glad to see Harper and the Torys are at least attempting to clearly show their support for the mission, maybe they will be able to clearly explain the mission and boost morale for our soilders, although I doubt it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is what should be done.

1. The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, P.C., M.P., the Member for Carleton—Mississippi Mills and Minister of Defence should, upon the opening of the House of Commons, ask that the Speaker authorize a take-note debate on the mission in Afghanistan.

2. During the debate, after the House has adjourned, the Minister should describe the current status of the mission, the objectives and endeavours which remain to be met, and open the floor to suggestions and ideas for the consideration of the Government of Canada to exercise.

3. As a take-note debate, Opposition motions on the mission could not be accepted, since there would be no Speaker (during a take-note debate, someone assumes the Chair at the table, rather than the Chair of the Speakership).

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Harper Makes Surprise

That sound like a good idea. I believe that there should be a debate and a vote because this is becoming a very serious matter. Our troops are dying in what is supposed to be a peacekeeping mission.

By the way, I'm trying to do a poll on the support of political parties. You can vote at: http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12502

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Keep in mind, any member would have the right to force an emergency debate, if the Speaker of the House of Commons agrees that the subject matter is of an urgent nature, notwithstanding whether or not the Government of Canada would oppose such a debate.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Harper Makes Surprise Visit To Our Soilders

FiveParadox said:
This is what should be done.

1. The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, P.C., M.P., the Member for Carleton—Mississippi Mills and Minister of Defence should, upon the opening of the House of Commons, ask that the Speaker authorize a take-note debate on the mission in Afghanistan.

2. During the debate, after the House has adjourned, the Minister should describe the current status of the mission, the objectives and endeavours which remain to be met, and open the floor to suggestions and ideas for the consideration of the Government of Canada to exercise.

3. As a take-note debate, Opposition motions on the mission could not be accepted, since there would be no Speaker (during a take-note debate, someone assumes the Chair at the table, rather than the Chair of the Speakership).

Sounds fine in theory, but how would the left dominated media spin this is what I'm worried about. Would the arrogance and ideological position of people like Jack Layton and leftist extremists in his party lead to a further drop in support of our soilders. The vast majority of people who call for a immediate pullout have no clue whatsoever how a NATO pullout from Afghanistan would affect the stability.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hank C, that is why it should be important for the Government of Canada to order a take-note debate immediately, before an Opposition party would have a chance to request an emergency debate instead (the headlines about an emergency debate would be, in my opinion, far more damaging).

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Harper Makes Surprise

JonB2004 said:
That sound like a good idea. I believe that there should be a debate and a vote because this is becoming a very serious matter. Our troops are dying in what is supposed to be a peacekeeping mission.

By the way, I'm trying to do a poll on the support of political parties. You can vote at: http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12502

It was never a Peace Keeping Mission. That was never the Miltarys Mandate, never.

sassylasie is right, this is exactaly an example of how the canadian public has no clue about this mission.....which is a failure that should be placed on our leaders

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Harper Makes Surprise Visit To Our Soilders

FiveParadox said:
Hank C, that is why it should be important for the Government of Canada to order a take-note debate immediately, before an Opposition party would have a chance to request an emergency debate instead (the headlines about an emergency debate would be, in my opinion, far more damaging).

you make a good point, understand where your coming from now

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nobody is suggesting that the Canadian Armed Forces be forced to take any blame for the shortcomings of the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien, P.C., the Right Honourable Paul Martin, P.C., M.P., or theRight Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.; however, we need to ensure that there is a method in the House of Commons to correct these shortcomings, and these would be either a take-note debate or an emergency debate.

We need to keep in mind that if the Government of Canada continues to attempt to silence the opposition in terms of this issue (namely, the New Democratic Party of Canada) a party could attempt to entrench a motion relating to the Armed Forces on a matter of Supply; that would be a disastrous situation for the Government of Canada.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

This was more then a simple Photo-Op it was PM Harper showing his support for Canada's Mission in Afghanistan. :salute: :canada:

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Yea the soilders don't deserve to take such a hit in support because the former government failed miserably in properly explaining what we are doing over there.

The mission was fully explained. The problem is no one cared until bodybags started coming home. That's the chief problem with Canadian society. We just don't care enough.

HOLY FUCK! Afghanistan is not and has never been a peacekeeping mission. Do you even watch the news Jon? Or are you so ignorant that you fail to realize we're at war? Furthermore why the hell is it so tragic if Canadians are killed while peacekeeping? Bet you didn't know that 116 Canadians have been killed whilst peacekeeping in the last 50 years? Yeah. Lastly Afghanistan is a combat mission. When you serve in Afghanistan you receive the General Campaign Star, a medal awarded under these grounds:

The GCS will be awarded to CF members and to members of allied forces working with the CF who deploy into a defined theatre of operations to take part in operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

In short, it's a warzone, not a peacekeeping mission. You are a prime example of why this debate is being called for. People are so ignorant of our military that they have this built up image of our soldiers, and in this case it's dead wrong. We've been at war since 2001 and people, like you just highlighted, can't seem to grasp that.

Lastly,

HA! In that first picture, the guy fooling with the digi cam is an MWO from my unit. That's funny. This is going up on the board.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Harper Makes Surprise

Yes we,ve been in Afghanistan since 2001 and how many prisoners have we given over to the Americans to be tortured or do we do some of that as well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Beav, try, just this once, not to be an asshole.

These people risk their lives to be the cutting edge of Canadian foreign policy, while jerks like you do your very best to stick a knife in their back and twist it by innuendo and accusatory garbage just like what you printed above.

It's the same as the entire Airborne being blamed for the actions of one psycho.

Every single one of these gentlemen (and ladies) in Afghanistan has done more for this nation than you (or I) will ever do. They don't deserve the back of your hand. In fact, you are not fit to polish their boots.

Slam Harper if you wish, he's just a politician. Slam the government, they give the orders.

Leave those that serve out of it.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Yes we,ve been in Afghanistan since 2001 and how many prisoners have we given over to the Americans to be tortured or do we do some of that as well.

We've taken 3 prisoners and turned them over to the U.S. That was back in 2002 I believe. Now how many have we KILLED. Lots :) Prisoners are such a logistical burden.

Beav, try, just this once, not to be an asshole.

These people risk their lives to be the cutting edge of Canadian foreign policy, while jerks like you do your very best to stick a knife in their back and twist it by innuendo and accusatory garbage just like what you printed above.

It's the same as the entire Airborne being blamed for the actions of one psycho.

Every single one of these gentlemen (and ladies) in Afghanistan has done more for this nation than you (or I) will ever do. They don't deserve the back of your hand. In fact, you are not fit to polish their boots.

Slam Harper if you wish, he's just a politician. Slam the government, they give the orders.

Leave those that serve out of it.

Thanks Colpy, well said.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Darkbeaver why are you so concerned for the prisoners? You don't appear to extend your concerns to our Men and women in uniform-Why? . Why such distain?