Email from Kandahar

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I received this email from a friend of mine currently posted to the Multinational Brigade Headquarters at Kandahar Air Field in Afghanistan. He's on his first overseas deployment.

Mogz (real name is obviously not Mogz)

Hey buddy hows life treating ya? Sorry its taken me so long to write but we've been hella busy since we touched down in ghan. Flight in was hell I barely got any sleep on the trip in from camp mirage. It was great to finally get on a computer and see an email from you and my parents. Were set up in a pretty shitty way right now buddy. The camp is overflowing with troops from Canada the US and Britain and there running out of places to house us. The engineers are building some new shacks for us but they wont be ready for another week or so. Right now im sharing a piece of mod with some medics and a few ammo techs. The camp got mortared the other night. We had to scramble out to our defensive and lay there for an hour while the QRF cleared the perimeter. As you probably already know things are pretty heated over here right now. That shit with Lt Green is pretty fucked eh brother? I was out on patrol yesterday and man my nerves were gittery. It felt like i'd had a dozen cups of coffee. I guess I dont need to be telling you that though do I? I ran in to Sgt (name censored) when I first got here. He says hi and wishes you were over here with us. At least that way wed have someone to be the beer bitch ha ha. Kidding :). So whats with all this shit that im hearing from home? About how its bad were here and how people want us to pull out. Thats fucking bullshit man. Do people even fucking know what their talkin about? This place is chaos man. These people dont have anything and were their only hope. If we leave now their dead because you and I both know the taliban will come back and own this place again. Im just a dumb soldier but even I know that isnt good for Canada. Shit like this bugs me man, especially when our troops have died over here. Why the fuck should we just pack up and come home when theres so much more to do here. Why the hell did those guys die? I swear some times the only people in Canada that have a fucking clue are the soldiers. Anyway I dont want to get all fucking worked up over this shit. I know some people support us. I liked how you tossed in that post from that lineman guy on that forum you hang out on. Good to know that at least one person is behind us eh bud? Oh yeah (name censored) and (name censored) say hey. (name censored) wants you to drop by and check on trish when you get a chance. Hes worried about her. Well bud I should get going. I dont have much time left and I want to email Jess before I get booted off of here. Tell the guys we left behind that we wish they were here and that were doin ok. Also see if you can get some timmys coffee sent over in the next package from the unit. We have nothing but crap to drink here. Talk to you later killer.

Matrix (that's his actual nickname)

DerekJay

Mar 14, 2006
It's unfortunate that he has such a limited understanding on World Affairs. Perhaps if he knew the real reason <cough> oil <cough> why he is there... he might see it differently.

I am sure he's a good guy... I hope he comes home safely.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Mogz, thankyou for posting that email. Tell your friend he/you have another pal who supports him and the military on the forum you hang out in: Moi.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
DerekJay said:
It's unfortunate that he has such a limited understanding on World Affairs. Perhaps if he knew the real reason <cough> oil <cough> why he is there... he might see it differently.

DerekJay how are you, I agree with your point but you can see that some people here think that if you don,t swallow the freedom and democracy bullshit story hook line and sinker your not supporting the troops. They don,t see the conection with oil or Uncle Sam. Have a nice time here at CanCon.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
DerekJay how are you, I agree with your point but you can see that some people here think that if you don,t swallow the freedom and democracy bullshit story hook line and sinker your not supporting the troops. They don,t see the conection with oil or Uncle Sam. Have a nice time here at CanCon.

I thought you were done with me? But here you are, in one of my posts. You do care :D.

Anyway Derek, easy to sit in your comfy computer chair and deem a soldier overseas with his hands in the operation as having a limited view. You say oil, I think of all the good I did while in Afghanistan. One thing is just a theory (yours), another thing actually happened and is still happening (mine). Being the realist I am, I think you need to get out more my friend and stop attempting to use the oil cliche, then again, that's just me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Email from Kandahar

Mogz said:
Being the realist I am, I think you need to get out more my friend and stop attempting to use the oil cliche, then again, that's just me.

He can't do that until Pravda says so, until then we have to deal with it.

DerekJay

Mar 14, 2006
darkbeaver said:
DerekJay said:

DarkBeaver... Doin just fine, Thx. I would agree. A lot of people right now feel that if we question the reasons for being in Afghanistan, we are not "supporting our troops". To deny this connection as you put it, is to keep your head in the sand.

For the record... I support the troops.

I just don't support this "cause". We should only go to war in order to protect our freedoms and our families... not to further the interests of an American President that seeks to create war to pad his pockets, and gain more power.

DerekJay

Mar 14, 2006

Mogz said:

I thought you were done with me? But here you are, in one of my posts. You do care :D.

Anyway Derek, easy to sit in your comfy computer chair and deem a soldier overseas with his hands in the operation as having a limited view. You say oil, I think of all the good I did while in Afghanistan. One thing is just a theory (yours), another thing actually happened and is still happening (mine). Being the realist I am, I think you need to get out more my friend and stop attempting to use the oil cliche, then again, that's just me.

Mogz, I have nothing but respect for all you have contributed to this country.

My "theory" though has too many supporting facts and evidence to suggest that this is some big conspiracy, and we all are a bunch of nuts. Far too many educated people would agree with me, and in my mind to dismiss Oil as THE primary reason to be involved (U.S.)... one would have to be naive, or unwilling to believe anything other than what the media, and the politicians tell us. I get out quite a bit, and I don't live in a bubble like you might think.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

DerekJay said:
My "theory" though has too many supporting facts and evidence to suggest that this is some big conspiracy, and we all are a bunch of nuts. Far too many educated people would agree with me, and in my mind to dismiss Oil as THE primary reason to be involved (U.S.)... one would have to be naive, or unwilling to believe anything other than what the media, and the politicians tell us. I get out quite a bit, and I don't live in a bubble like you might think.

Share these "facts" if you would. Sounds intriguing.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Sassy has her face close to the screen, awaiting to be enlightened so please give me the facts and nothing but the facts.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
ITN, do you have something against the Pravda.

It is a fine paper.

My dad is a subscriber. :wink:

Back to the subject at hand, I believe Canadians are doing this mission for the betterment of Afghanistan and so with America, and rooting out Al-Qaida of course.

Iraq different story though, Haliburton for example.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Mogz said:
I received this email from a friend of mine currently posted to the Multinational Brigade Headquarters at Kandahar Air Field in Afghanistan. He's on his first overseas deployment.

Mogz (real name is obviously not Mogz)

Hey buddy hows life treating ya? Sorry its taken me so long to write but we've been hella busy since we touched down in ghan. Flight in was hell I barely got any sleep on the trip in from camp mirage. It was great to finally get on a computer and see an email from you and my parents. Were set up in a pretty shitty way right now buddy. The camp is overflowing with troops from Canada the US and Britain and there running out of places to house us. The engineers are building some new shacks for us but they wont be ready for another week or so. Right now im sharing a piece of mod with some medics and a few ammo techs. The camp got mortared the other night. We had to scramble out to our defensive and lay there for an hour while the QRF cleared the perimeter. As you probably already know things are pretty heated over here right now. That shit with Lt Green is pretty *censored* eh brother? I was out on patrol yesterday and man my nerves were gittery. It felt like i'd had a dozen cups of coffee. I guess I dont need to be telling you that though do I? I ran in to Sgt (name censored) when I first got here. He says hi and wishes you were over here with us. At least that way wed have someone to be the beer bitch ha ha. Kidding :). So whats with all this shit that im hearing from home? About how its bad were here and how people want us to pull out. Thats *censored* bullshit man. Do people even *censored* know what their talkin about? This place is chaos man. These people dont have anything and were their only hope. If we leave now their dead because you and I both know the taliban will come back and own this place again. Im just a dumb soldier but even I know that isnt good for Canada. Shit like this bugs me man, especially when our troops have died over here. Why the *censored* should we just pack up and come home when theres so much more to do here. Why the hell did those guys die? I swear some times the only people in Canada that have a *censored* clue are the soldiers. Anyway I dont want to get all *censored* worked up over this shit. I know some people support us. I liked how you tossed in that post from that lineman guy on that forum you hang out on. Good to know that at least one person is behind us eh bud? Oh yeah (name censored) and (name censored) say hey. (name censored) wants you to drop by and check on trish when you get a chance. Hes worried about her. Well bud I should get going. I dont have much time left and I want to email Jess before I get booted off of here. Tell the guys we left behind that we wish they were here and that were doin ok. Also see if you can get some timmys coffee sent over in the next package from the unit. We have nothing but crap to drink here. Talk to you later killer.

Matrix (that's his actual nickname)

And what is the point of this mail??

Peoples in the armed forces, arent known for their intellectual behavior, actually it is their last resort or even chance in their life to do something almost good, they are at the same level as police officers, bikers(hells angels) etccc...

Credibility of his opinion= -100

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Mogz said:

I think you should quit the argument of "" freedom"" cliche , cause only ignorant people would believe that we are in afganisthan for freedom, simple fact.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

aeon said:
I think you should quit the argument of "" freedom"" cliche , cause only ignorant people would believe that we are in afganisthan for freedom, simple fact.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Mogz, tell your friend we support him and the mission. Most of the stewed up baloney is just talk radio luring in arguments.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

The point of the email, as you so eloquently put it, is to highlight the fact that the tripe being said back in Canada is affecting the ones overseas who support their nation in a level unmatched by anyone else. My friend Matt, who the email is from, is one of the most highly dedicated soldiers I have ever met. He joined the Forces for the same reason I did, to serve our nation. He didn't go to Afghanistan to get medals, get extra money, kill Afghans, or steal oil. He went because he supports the goals (the real goals) of our mission in Afghanistan with every ounce of his being. He is in essence the epitome of a patriot.

Peoples in the armed forces, arent known for their intellectual behavior, actually it is their last resort or even chance in their life to do something almost good, they are at the same level as police officers, bikers(hells angels) etccc...

Credibility of his opinion= -100

Actually being in the Forces ARE known for their intelligent behavior. The CF has a history dating back to World War I of soldiers pulling of intellectual feats, unpmatched throughout history. A prime example is Sir Arthur Currie and his "creeping barrage" technique that saved the lives of countless Canadian soldiers and made it possible for the 1st Canadian Corps to capture Vimy Ridge where the Britsh and French had failed. Furthermore gone are the days where a soldier is just pointed in the direction of the enemy and told to charge. In the 21st Century a soldier has to be intelligent, in fact before you even enroll you're given a battery of aptitude tests to match you to your chosen proffesion. Soldiers aren't dumb Aeon, quite the opposite, in this day and age soldiers operate some complex equipment, especially those in the Signals branch; equipment such as SAS which tracks units on a map overlay with an accuracy of up to 100m. Or our satellite relay tranceivers. These items cannot be manned by your average joe, in fact the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals has one of the highest failure rates on their QL3s out of any Land Force occupation. The reason? Highly comlex equipment. Lastly just some FYI about the Canadian Armys gear. Our radio system TCCCS (Tactical Command and Control Communication System) is one of the most high-tech digitized systems in the World. This system can transmit text and voice data, as well as broadcast in both cryptographic and frequency hopping mode. This system was deemed "too complex" by the U.S. Military. Just to put our militaries in perspective on certain issues.

Lastly, the "Credibility of his opinion" is certainly a hell of a lot more than yours. Him having been there, you having done nothing with your life :)

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
[quote="aeon

Credibility of his opinion= -100[/quote]

YEeeaaahhhh.. Aeon, go do an Air Nav course and tell me Military Personnel aren't known for their intelligence. One has to be intelligent in order to succeed in that business. While I would agree with you that, no, not EVERY goon that enters into boot camp is a hyper-genius, I would also ask you to remember that these drooling goons rarely pass basic, and those that do usually become stalled in the lowest possible point. One has to have a very alert and capable mind to be a successful soldier, sailor or airman

And do you really believe that Hells Angels are on the same level as Police officers and soldiers? So who would be the obvious superiours to men and women in uniform? College kids in the 7th year of an undeclared Major? The geniuses working in Radio Shacks and Dungeons and Dragons stores across the country? Punk rockers?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
So who would be the obvious superiours to men and women in uniform? College kids in the 7th year of an undeclared Major? The geniuses working in Radio Shacks and Dungeons and Dragons stores across the country? Punk rockers?

That made me laugh :)