Contrasting Tax Cuts

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
One of the many things that annoy me about the Conservatives is their plan to cut the GST. I did the math and it turns out that the Liberals plan to cut personal income taxes was more profitable for Canadians than the Conservative plan.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Canadian Politics

:!: (Note)
JonB2004, I would recommend that you rename your thread — Canadian Politics is quite general. "Contrasting Tax Cuts," for example, could be deemed to be more appropriate. I am not an Administrator or a Moderator or anything, so you don't have to; just a suggestion. :)

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Hey, FiveParadox.
Just want to let you know that I'm writing about things about or related to canadian politics.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: Canadian Politics

JonB2004 said:
One of the many things that annoy me about the Conservatives is their plan to cut the GST. I did the math and it turns out that the Liberals plan to cut personal income taxes was more profitable for Canadians than the Conservative plan.

depends on how much money you make though

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

How so? Show us your calculations for a consumer who does not earn enough to pay income taxes but buys stuff to live.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

The Liberals plan was better because what if you don't want to spend the money. What if you want to save the money?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I would assert that perhaps the plan of the Liberal Party of Canada is better since resources are directed to where they are needed in particular, rather than directing them to each and every family, regardless of whether or not they need the assistance (in terms of child care).

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Canadian Politics

JonB2004 said:
The Liberals plan was better because what if you don't want to spend the money. What if you want to save the money?

what we are trying to say is that it all depends on what tax bracket you fall into, or dont fall into

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org

The tax that hurts Canadians the most is the Gas Tax.

The reason it is so damaging is that it structured as a percentage and not at a rate per liter tax.

It taxes people the air they breathe, and it must be paid regardless of income or ability or choice to spend.

It raises the cost of living regardless how one lives including the poor and disproportiotantly higher.

There is not reason for it being the way it is and is a windfall tax that all governments are curretly sharing in to be awash with cash.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Its been over a month and I'm still really confused on how people let the Conservatives in. The last time voters let the Conservatives in, they ran a $42 billion deficit, instated the GST, made huge budget cuts to health care, and a whole bunch of other things. I hope next time voters go to the polls, they think twice before voting Conservative.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006

In Atlantic Canada we are being taxed to death, 15% on everything including a funeral. I loath all the political parties, politicians are natural born liars, cheaters and power junkies. I don't trust any of them.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I don't like any of our current politicians either. We need more ordinary people to run and get elected.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

If it's any consolation, I am planning on seeking nomination for the Fortieth General Election (or, if the current Government of Canada is defeated in short order, the Forty-first General Election). :)

Heh, I think I would do a good job.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Hey, FiveParadox.

What party do you plan to run in or do you plan to create your own party. I think its great to see that your going run in a election.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Plans to Run

I fear having things thrown at me for saying this, but I would prefer to run for the Liberal Party of Canada. I see my own opinions as being most closely-aligned with those of that particular party; my second choice would be the New Democratic Party of Canada.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Good, FiveParadox.

I happy to see you chose a good party. When I graduate, I hope to create my own party and run in the fourty-first or the fourty-second federal election.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver

JonB2004 wrote

Its been over a month and I'm still really confused on how people let the Conservatives in. The last time voters let the Conservatives in, they ran a $42 billion deficit, instated the GST, made huge budget cuts to health care, and a whole bunch of other things. I hope next time voters go to the polls, they think twice before voting Conservative.

Well, I'm happy you are concerned because if no one was concerned I'd be worried. However, I do not think it totally fair of you to blame the 42 billion dollar deficit on Brian Mulroney's shoulders. Yes Mulroney played his part and is partly to blame but, so is Pierre Trudeau who ratcheted up Federal spending dramatically while in office. I don't have the precise numbers (though I did a quick search) but it is quite impressive. I seem to remeber (though you would have to look this up as I may be wrong) that Trudeau doubled the federal debt while in Office.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

Trudeau is the reason for all that that is wrong with Canada.
May he rot in hell.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Re: RE: Canadian Politics

FiveParadox said:
If it's any consolation, I am planning on seeking nomination for the Fortieth General Election (or, if the current Government of Canada is defeated in short order, the Forty-first General Election). :)

Heh, I think I would do a good job.

Anyone thinking to dive into the cesspool of public service in Canada better remember to watch out for all the genetic turds floating around to not get any on you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

zoofer said:
Trudeau is the reason for all that that is wrong with Canada.
May he rot in hell.

Now LISTEN UP.

Pierre Trudeau is in NO WAY responsible for Canadian idol.

That's that Mulrooney guy.
:D
On everything else, you're right. :D :D