Failure to Protect Refugees

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bill Siksay, the Member for Burnaby Douglas and the Citizenship and Immigration Critic for the New Democratic Party of Canada, wants an inquery into the auction of the records of thirty thousand refugees and refugee claimants in British Columbia. He has written a letter to Jennifer Stoddart, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, to investigate the situation and provide recommendations to prevent such a thing from happening again in the future.

Bill Siksay said:
“Refugees flee to Canada because their lives are in danger. Information collected about them and their situations is very sensitive and must be protected”, said Siksay. “Refugee claimants must be guaranteed that this information does not fall into the wrong hands.”

Click here to view the entire article.
:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the New Democratic Party of Canada.
2. Click here¹ for the letter to Ms. Stoddart.

:?: Footnotes
1. Caution: This is not a link to a Web page, but rather to a Microsoft® Word® document.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, many of the refugees-in-question are still having their status considered by Immigration Canada — however, since many of these refugees (or claimants) would face extreme danger if some of their sensitive information were returned to their countries of origin, the breach of security is entirely unacceptable.

I hope that parallel investigations take place at both the federal and provincial level, and I hope for some decisive action, on the part of the Honourable Monte Solberg, to ensure that the privacy and safety and refugees in Canada is guaranteed, insofar as is reasonably possible.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Good.

I sincerely hope that we receive comprehensive supports and recommendations, to consider in aggregate, from each of Mike de Jong, the Honourable Monte Solberg, the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia, and the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. This is a prima facie problem, and I would hope that these authorities work in co-operation with each other to a common end.