Bloc Québecois Defends Gun Registry

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In a statement today, the Bloc Québecois announced its opposition to the efforts of the Government of Canada to terminate the gun registry. With Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition and the Bloc Québecois both opposing the Tories' endeavour to end the registry, the Conservative Ministry would not have the support of the House of Commons in a motion or legislative measure to bring the program to an end.

The Bloc Québecois said:
Ottawa — February 17, 2006

« Pour le Bloc Québécois, il n’est absolument pas question d’abolir le registre des armes à feu. Stephen Harper doit savoir immédiatement que nous nous opposerons avec vigueur à tout projet de loi qui mettrait un terme à un programme qui, s’il n’est pas parfait, contribue tout de même à procurer davantage de sécurité aux Québécoises et aux Québécois. »

Click here for the entire article. (Available in French only.)
:!: Source
1. Click here for the Web site of the Bloc Québecois.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If brought to a truely free vote in the House, I do believe the government could dump the registry. No rural MP would dare vote to retain the damn thing, and that includes MPs from the NDP, the BQ, and the Liberals.

Unfortunately, the government could not do much about the other completely idiotic mass of firearms regulations, as only the registration of long guns is recognized for what it is; a massive waste of resources that only manages to harass one of the most law-abiding groups in Canada.

If the House fails to dump the registry on a vote, it is perfectly legitimate for the government to change regulations, and to starve the system by providing no funds.

The core support of the CPC expects.....no....demands no less.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"a massive waste of resources that only manages to harass one of the most law-abiding groups in Canada. "

And you wonder why liberals want to continue it?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whether or not the core support of the Conservative Party of Canada demands no less is of no consequence when a majority in the House of Commons would vote in contradiction to such a thing — to be frank.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I am more interested in finding out the true cost of the registry. This morning some politico said we would be shocked if we only knew. If it's over 1 billion ...well,I wouldn't be surprised :evil:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Bloc Québecois Defends Gun Registry

FiveParadox said:
Whether or not the core support of the Conservative Party of Canada demands no less is of no consequence when a majority in the House of Commons would vote in contradiction to such a thing — to be frank.

With or without a vote in the House, there is absolutely no requirement that the government budget money for this mess.

I don't think the 200 employees with the Firearms Centre in Miramichi would work long for no paycheck.

Five, you have no idea how fouled up, how ridiculous, or how useless this institution is...

Like some example was moving. I called to ask what it would be necessary for me to do. I was told to call a couple of days before the move, and I would be given a number that corresponded to a permit to move my weapons. No problem. I got thinking..."That was too easy......." Called back, was told I had to apply for permission, send in the forms, and it would take THREE MONTHS to process. My moving date was in three weeks.

Yeah Right.

My friend sent in registration forms, never received his cards. He called, and asked them to run the serial numbers of his guns, to see if they were registered. He was told that was impossible, as they could get several dozen guns returned on a single number.

The Centre was found to have several Walther PP pistols registered to the same number......it turned out to be the patent number, not the serial number.

I, and several of my friends, sent in registration forms, but refused to send in the money to register the guns. Guess what? We got refunds. Yes, you read that correctly.

The system does not register the caliber of the gun.

The stickies they send you to attach to firearms without serial numbers DON'T STICK.. I have several, and they must be permanently attached by law.

The Auditor-General found the major reason for the huge cost was the anti-gun attitude of the bureaucrats at the Centre.....they spent millions just harassing shooters.

The system has to go, it is corrupt (involved in the sponsorship thing), useless, rotten, and just a colossal waste of money.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Missle in my local news paper an article stated that it cost in excess of One Billion not the estimated 2 million. I agree with you Colpy. Hasn't the Queen that was in charge of the program/scam been given a post in Harper's Cabnet?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"The Centre was found to have several Walther PP pistols registered to the same number......it turned out to be the patent number, not the serial number. "

:lol: :lol:

thanks for the laugh colpy! that is too rich!