Immigration Numbers

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?&src=n021443A.xml

Solberg says no change to family reunification, overall immigration numbers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's new immigration minister says the Conservative government does not plan to restrict family reunification nor change the overall annual target number for newcomers.

But Monte Solberg said the mix of immigrants - and the means they use to enter the country - may need to change to reflect a greater emphasis on labour shortages. "I don't think it's the overall number that's the issue," Solberg said in an interview Tuesday.

"I think partly maybe it's the mix. But it's also using some of the other tools that we have to address some of the problems we have - like the work visas."

Solberg is floating the idea of working with provinces and industries, especially the resource sector, to get more targeted, skilled labour into Canada on temporary work visas.

"Maybe ultimately if they're here for a time and they're doing a good job, well, permanently land them," he said.

Solberg, 47, has been handed one of the federal government's hot-button portfolios.

The former Alberta broadcaster and longtime finance and international affairs critic for the Reform, Canadian Alliance and Conservative parties is in a new role dealing with immigration matters.

He said his initial priorities are those laid out in the Conservative campaign platform: cutting the $975 landing fee; introducing new legislation to ease foreign adoptions; and creating a new federal agency to assist newcomers in getting their education and professional credentials recognized.

"I don't think any of those are necessarily contentious. Those are things we're going to focus on."

But Solberg knows he's going to face some controversial issues.

In 2004, almost 236,000 newcomers gained permanent resident status in Canada. The country was on track for about 245,000 last year.

Some 57 per cent of the 2004 admissions were in the economic classes, including family members, while the other 43 per cent were those who arrived on compassionate and humanitarian grounds, including 33,000 refugees.

Some former Liberal ministers spoke of increasing overall immigration targets to 300,000 annually, if not higher, in coming years.

Last April, the Liberals promised to triple the number of family reunification applications processed annually to 36,000. Some critics - but not the Conservatives - accused the Liberals of pandering to immigrant communities on the eve of what was considered a crucial confidence vote in a minority government.

"We have no plans to change the number of people coming in under family reunification," Solberg said Tuesday.

"But it also doesn't mean there aren't things we can do to ensure that we're dealing with the skills shortage in this country . . . . Right now, clearly we're not. We're not dealing with those issues."

Solberg said there are "big challenges respecting family reunification versus matching immigration to labour shortages." He also said dealing with refugees remains a contentious matter.

"There's some real debates within these different portfolios."

The Liberals made another round of immigration promises, including a $700-million, five-year program to clear up applicant backlogs, in November just before the government fell.

jimfeng5

Feb 5, 2006
Toronto
i didnt see a problem with immigrants..i mean..a PhD in china come to Canada to do Labour..aint it great?? at least Governers can say to other country Even their Labour is PhD...

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Governors? I don't quite understand.

Are you referring to the Governor General, the Lieutenant-Governors of the Provinces, Governors of States in the United States, or their State Lieutenant-Governors?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't see the big problem with seeking skilled workers for areas that we are in need. I worked with many foreign nurses in Toronto and Vancouver. I'm sure their training was at least part of the reason they were able to immigrate. I was able to come to the US for the same reason. The red tape is a pain in the ass (did I tell you all about my 3 days at the Mexican border?!), but it's not too high a price to pay to live where you want.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Immigration Numbers

FiveParadox said:
Governors? I don't quite understand.

Are you referring to the Governor General, the Lieutenant-Governors of the Provinces, Governors of States in the United States, or their State Lieutenant-Governors?

:lol:

Five, you crack me up sometimes.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Solberg is floating the idea of working with provinces and industries, especially the resource sector, to get more targeted, skilled labour into Canada on temporary work visas.

very, very good idea for all the provinces, especially Alberta.

But Monte Solberg said the mix of immigrants - and the means they use to enter the country - may need to change to reflect a greater emphasis on labour shortages. "I don't think it's the overall number that's the issue," Solberg said in an interview Tuesday.

"But it also doesn't mean there aren't things we can do to ensure that we're dealing with the skills shortage in this country . . . . Right now, clearly we're not. We're not dealing with those issues."

I think he is bang on. Obviously this is just rherotic but I have high hopes.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The "mix of immigrants?" I would certainly hope that the Honourable Minister of Immigration is not suggesting that we enforce more stringest policies in relation to the races of people who may enter Canada.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Immigration Numbers

FiveParadox said:
The "mix of immigrants?" I would certainly hope that the Honourable Minister of Immigration is not suggesting that we enforce more stringest policies in relation to the races of people who may enter Canada.

uh, ok. :munky2:

I don't think that is what he is talking about when he refers to the mix of immigrants. Think more along the lines of family reunification, refugees, skilled labor visas, and general immigration....then you got it :wink:

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I find the policy of guest workers problematic. Actively recruiting guest workers from the developing world essentially slices off the expertise they need to develop their own economies. Why should India invest in training workers only to have Canada “borrow them?” How is the rest of the world ever going to solve problems like alleviating poverty if extremely rich countries like Canada poach on their labour force? Also they would be guest workers and have no permanence in Canada. These kinds of guest programs in Europe have produced two tier systems segregated by race and ethnicity—The Turks in Germany for example.

Canada can easily afford to invest in its own education system. A program to certify foreign graduates already in Canada could be set up where they earn a decent wage while retraining and learning the new system. There are plenty of skilled workers in Canada who are unemployed or underemployed or working at menial jobs. Look at the unemployment rate among visible minorities and aboriginal people. Why not use Canada’s affluence to incorporate them into the labour force before resorting to guest workers?

Ideally Canada should return to its role as a haven for the world’s poor and persecuted. Raise these numbers and let them benefit from an improved Canadian education system. This would be the best way for Canada to help the developing world.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I don't like the idea of guest workers either. Didn't most European countries, I'm thinking of Germany here, try that with Turkish guest workers and now they are having problems now?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think not said:
Immigration is a great thing.

Immigration is great as long as you bring in the right immigrants.

It also depends on your goals for immigration, if it is simply to fill in jobs where shortages exist; then your selection process is much simpler.

If you want to add citizens (not just people) to the country, those you will actively participate in the building of the country, selection should be much tighter.

I don't think they should let in just anybody just because they other country is crap. Also, just because you have a degree, that shouldn't mean anything.

I would much rather get only 50,000 really good people to live here than 350,000 anybodies. If the only way to get more immigrants is to lower your standards then there is a problem.

I view immigration as a draft in sports. You want to pick the people that will most likely build your team into a champion.

What they also need to do is increase the value of Canadian immigration. We shouldn't be a place that you go to make a quick buck, or to be used a jumping point to the US. Being allowed to immigrate to Canada should be a privilege and there should be stiff consequences (deportation) when this privilege is abused.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
DasFX

But what about refugee ops?

Many really wonderful Canadians were brought to Canada through WWII and they have contributed greatly to the country, first as immigrants and later as citizens.

Often refugees will make devoted members of a new country whether there is a "job to fill" or not.

Let's leave some room for these events too.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Thanks DasFX, I'll stick to the American version if you don't mind;

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think not said:

This was quite applicable when the US (and Canada) were in its infantcy, however I really doubt that today America and Americans want the world's tired, poor and homeless now.

In Canada we already have pleny of tired, poor and homeless folks, I say let us help them before we bring more over.

Besides, when I said bring only the right immigrants, you assumed I meant wealthy and so on. You must agree that there are good immigrants and bad ones and it has nothing to do with wealth.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Wednesday's Child said:
Often refugees will make devoted members of a new country whether there is a "job to fill" or not.

Let's leave some room for these events too.

I never said to exclude them. Being selective is not a bad thing. I agree, refugees do make good citizens cause they appreciate the adopted land more.

I just think that we should do our best to bring in the best people, and have them accountable if they misuse the opportunity.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:

But when they were saying that, there weren’t drawing immigrants from all over the world. They were mainly from Europe.....right?