Statement by the Prime Minister Paul Martin

Do you believe that Canada's best days are ahead?

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would appear that the Right Honourable Paul Martin, formally still the Prime Minister of Canada, is being a pretty good sport in respect of the results of the election.

The Rt. Hon. Paul Martin said:
Ottawa, Canada
January 25, 2006

As Prime minister, I would like to personally thank and congratulate all Canadians who voted on Monday.

Your participation in the electoral process is essential in fostering a strong democracy for our country.

I am proud to see that Canada remains a healthy democracy, a great model for all countries around the world.

On January 23rd, Canadians expressed their choice and we wish the best to Prime Minister-designate Stephen Harper and his team.

I would like to reassure Canadians that my team and I will work together to facilitate the transition that will lead to the installation of a new government.

It has been an honour for me to be your prime minister and to represent Canada on the international scene. Canada is a great nation and its greatest days lie ahead.
I can't blame him; he must be tired.

The last session of Parliament was a tense one, and would have been exhausting for any Prime Minister — even when times seemed to be looking up, he couldn't catch a break, lol; a lot of that seemed to be the result of over a decade of governance under the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien — but one cannot place all of the blame on a former Prime Minister.

I think that the winds of change may have been inevitable, whether or not they had done a good job or bad; the uncovered scandals in the Government may have only served to speed up the process.

I would agree that Canada's best days are ahead.

May the slates be cleaned, and may we be governed with decorum and civility.

:!: Edit Added a poll.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think the whole thing shocks Paul Martin. I think he is very disappointed in Canada right now, but will get over it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, I'm sure anyone in that position would be somewhat disappointed, lol. It's like rejection on a national scale, I suppose; it's gotta hurt at least a little.

I think he's handled it pretty well, though; and the Honourable Stephen Harper has my respect for having accepted his victory so humbly, and having thanked the Right Honourable Paul Martin for his service to Canada.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Canada will have great days when Canadians become more optimistic, there always seems to be an underlying tone of pessimism amongst Canadians. And I never understood why that is.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Why not Jersay, young men and women are the future of every country. You've already outlined your grand plan, before you do anything, get yourself a good education, it is the cornerstone of tolerance and understanding.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Canada will have great days when Canadians become more optimistic, there always seems to be an underlying tone of pessimism amongst Canadians. And I never understood why that is.

I think it is from the vocal minority. Most people have great faith in this nation.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Why not Jersay, young men and women are the future of every country. You've already outlined your grand plan, before you do anything, get yourself a good education, it is the cornerstone of tolerance and understanding.

Exactly right.

With the education that i have done so far, post-secondary I mean, I have learned about so many things that i didn't know about before and it has opened up my mind to all kinds of possibilities.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
yes,

canada is crumbling from within due to multiple factors.

some list the democratic deficiency
some list the lack of cultural identity
some list the lack of a strong core image of canadiana
some list regional differences
some list the american influence in our media
and there are many others.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Funny, I have never heard outside of this forum that Canada is in danger of dissolution; it seems to be stemming from a small but vocal minority. Anyone I talk to would assert that Canada is a strong nation, with flaws, of course, but a strong nation nonetheless.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
most people don't like to look at problems, or discuss them.

they take the "its only, but...." approach and tune it out as "just another day". The rot grows deep within though, and by the time it is large enough to not be ignored or played down, it is too late to fix it. This "rot" has been growing for some time in canada, and it has been fueled by the populist federal leaders.