• Total voters

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now, i have come up with two names for my political party,

Canadian Peoples Party

United Peoples Party of Canada

Now, do you guys think that these are good names or stupid.

And, if you could think of a great name, please either PM me or post it here.

Thanks

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jersay

You have three topics in Canadian politics, all about your new party. Maybe you should decide, since there aren't many posts on two of them, which one you want to keep.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Just transferring to this one.

Quote:
What is a political party?

The Canada Elections Act defines a political party as "an organization one of whose fundamental purposes is to participate in public affairs by endorsing one or more of its members as candidates and supporting their election."

Forming and registering a federal political party are two different things. There is no legislation regulating the formation of federal political parties. Once a party exists, it may apply to be registered under the Act.

The Act uses the following terms:

eligible party: a party that has applied for registration under the Act, and that has met all of the legal requirements to be registered (including having at least 250 members who are electors), other than running a candidate at a general election or by-election

registered party: a party is registered under the Act if it succeeds in endorsing one or more confirmed candidates in a general election or a by-election after it has become eligible for registration, and

deregistered party: a registered party that has been deregistered by the Chief Electoral Officer for failing to endorse a confirmed candidate in at least one electoral district, for failing to have three officers in addition to its leader, for failing to have at least 250 members who are electors, or for failing to file documents specified by the Act. A registered party may also be deregistered by the Chief Electoral Officer by the order of a competent court on the application of the Commissioner of Canada Elections, if the party does not meet the Act's definition of a political party. A party may deregister voluntarily.
Party name on the ballot

One of the traditional benefits of registered status for a political party is that the party's name may appear on the ballot, together with the name of the party's candidate in that electoral district. If a candidate is not endorsed by a registered party, the candidate can choose to have either the word "independent" or nothing at all under his or her name on the ballot.

Applying for registration

A political party that wishes to participate in a federal general election or by-election may apply to register with the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada. The application for registration must be signed by the party leader, and must include:

the full name of the political party

either the party's short-form name or the abbreviation of the party's name, if any, which will appear on election documents such as the ballot

the party’s logo, if any

the name and address of the party's leader, and a copy of the party's resolution to appoint its leader that is certified by the leader and another officer of the party

the address of the party's office where records are kept and to which communications may be addressed

the names and addresses of the party's officers and their signed consent to act

the name and address of the party's auditor and the auditor's signed consent to act as auditor

the name and address of the party's chief agent and his or her signed consent to act as chief agent

the names, addresses and signatures of 250 electors and their declarations in the prescribed form that they are members of the party and support the party's application for registration, and
the leader's declaration in the prescribed form that having considered all the factors relevant to determining the party's purposes, one of the party's fundamental purposes is to participate in public affairs by endorsing one or more of its members as candidates and supporting their election
The entire application, including the names of the members, is a public document. To confirm the accuracy of the leader's declaration about the party's fundamental purposes, the Chief Electoral Officer may ask the leader to provide further relevant information.

Restrictions on party names

The name, short-form name, abbreviation or logo of the political party applying for registration must not so resemble the name, short-form name, abbreviation or logo of another party as to be confused with it. The name must not include the word "independent", nor any word likely to be confused with it. If the party intends to adopt French and English versions of its name, both versions must be submitted with the application.

Appointing officers of the party

An eligible party and a registered party must at all times have at least three officers in addition to the leader of the party, the chief agent and the auditor. Only a person whose ordinary residence is in Canada can be eligible to be an officer of a registered or eligible party.

The party must report any new appointment of an officer to the Chief Electoral Officer, accompanied by a copy of the signed consent of that person to act as an officer.

If a person ceases to be an officer of the party for any reason, and if the remaining number of officers is less than four, the party must appoint a replacement within 30 days.

Subject to some exceptions, a person must not act as an officer of an eligible or registered party if that person knows that the party does not have as one of its fundamental purposes participating in public affairs by endorsing one or more of its members as candidates and supporting their election.

Appointing an auditor

A party applying for registration must appoint as its auditor an eligible person or partnership that is a member in good standing of a corporation, association or institute of professional accountants (CA, CMA, CGA). The party appoints its auditor in accordance with its internal bylaws. The auditor must sign a declaration accepting the appointment. If an auditor ceases to hold office for any reason, the party must appoint a new auditor at once and the leader must notify the Chief Electoral Officer of the change in writing within 30 days.

The following persons are not eligible to be auditors:

an election officer or a member of the staff of a returning officer

a candidate

an officer of a registered or eligible party

an official agent of a candidate

a chief agent of a registered party or an eligible party

a registered agent of a registered party

electoral district agents of registered associations

leadership contestants and their leadership campaign agents

nomination contestants and their financial agents, or

financial agents of registered third parties
Appointing a chief agent

A party applying for registration must appoint an eligible person or corporation as its chief agent. To be eligible for appointment as chief agent, a person must be eligible to vote and must have the capacity to enter into contracts in the province or territory in which the person ordinarily resides.

For a corporation to be eligible, it must have been incorporated under federal or provincial law. If the chief agent is a corporation, any declaration by the chief agent required under the Act must be completed by a person authorized to sign on behalf of the corporation.

The following persons are not eligible to be a chief agent:

an election officer or a member of the staff of a returning officer

a candidate

an undischarged bankrupt

an auditor appointed under the Act

a person who is not an elector or is not a corporation incorporated under federal or provincial law, or

a person who does not have the capacity to enter into contracts in the province or territory in which the person ordinarily resides
The chief agent must sign a declaration accepting the appointment. If a chief agent ceases to hold office for any reason, the party must appoint a new chief agent at once and the leader must notify the Chief Electoral Officer in writing within 30 days of the change.

http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=gen&document=ec90530&dir=bkg&lang=e&textonly=false

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now, I have decided to name the party, Canadian Peoples Party, but that might be changed when members of the party decide on what the party should be called.

I have all the required documents that are needed from Elections Canada to create this party.

All I need now is an office, a website, an auditor, a chief officer, and an agent. :D

Wow, creating a party is dificult.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
How about you get yourself a program first?

While you're at it, you need a business plan and marketing plan, and they aren't typos, you need both.

When you have all that, I think you also need to be tax exempt for donations.

Do all that, and after worry about 250 people :wink:

You have your work cut out for you, it will take you between 18 and 24 months to get all this done.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
How about you get yourself a program first?

While you're at it, you need a business plan and marketing plan, and they aren't typos, you need both.

When you have all that, I think you also need to be tax exempt for donations.

Do all that, and after worry about 250 people

You have your work cut out for you, it will take you between 18 and 24 months to get all this done.

I'm looking at least three years as a minimum. Probably four!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I dont know what you need in terms of gathering 250 people or creating the party, but what I just outlined takes that long. Wait till you get involved with REVENUE CANADA! You'll be pulling your pubic hairs before you're done with them.

Ali Mahdi

Jan 24, 2006
Waterloo, ON
RE: New name: Canadian Pe

What's your party's platform? Obviously, you don't have to give me the whole thing now, but can you tell me where you are on the political spectrum?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well what i am hoping to do, is have a party of people from the left, from the right and from the center. And from all different backgrounds as well.

So you could say, i am trying to make a centralist party.