Governor General Confirms Harper

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It would appear that Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean has now asked the Honourable Stephen Harper, currently the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, to form the next Government of Canada; any "maneuvering" by the Liberal Party of Canada, the New Democratic Party of Canada or the Bloc Québecois in terms of withholding the mandate from the Tories is now a moot point — unless the Governor General changes her mind, which is highly unlikely.

The Governor General's Web Site said:
January 24, 2006

OTTAWA – Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada spoke with the Honourable Stephen Harper at 6:45 p.m. today and invited him to form the next government.

Governor General's Web Site
:!: Edit Added the date to the source.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
So... at what point will you be calling him the Right Honourable Stephen Harper? ;)

He IS going to be Prime Minister, you know. ;)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There was never any possibility that any of these parties would try to prevent the CPC from becoming the governing party. Yes, it was technically possible, but it would never have happened. The resulting gov't would not have been considered legitimate, and it would never have worked.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I will begin referring to him as the "Right Honourable" Stephen Harper once Her Excellency swears him into office as the Prime Minister; which, unless I am mistaken, she has not yet done. On a similar note, Mr. Martin will continue to be known as the Right Honourable Leader of the Opposition.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Re: RE: Governor General Confirms Harper

FiveParadox said:
I will begin referring to him as the "Right Honourable" Stephen Harper once Her Excellency swears him into office as the Prime Minister; which, unless I am mistaken, she has not yet done. On a similar note, Mr. Martin will continue to be known as the Right Honourable Leader of the Opposition.

A mere formality, my friend.. but I respect your choice. Very well, I'll be looking forward to the day you call him the Right Honourable Stephen Harper. Yes, Martin maintains that title as a former Prime Minister... as does Kim Cambell and Brian Mulroney by the way. ;)

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
actually, Mr Martin won't be known as the leader of the opposition since he already stepped down as leader of the opposition.

Wouldn't it be funny to watch if the Libs quickly appointed Stronach as interim leader?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: RE: Governor General Confirms Harper

the caracal kid said:
actually, Mr Martin won't be known as the leader of the opposition since he already stepped down as leader of the opposition.

Wouldn't it be funny to watch if the Libs quickly appointed Stronach as interim leader?

That would be terrible. I still don't understand how it is allowed to offer someone a ministership to change parties. Or even if there was no proof a pre-offer was made there was still the reward after the fact.

And taking adminstration of a big part of the Canada Student Loan program away from HRSDC and moving it to Canada Revenue was not exactly a confidence vote for Stronach.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Triple_R, I would refer to any member of the House of Commons (or outside) with the style that they have been accredited — in my opinion, they are terms of respect, of which our statesmen and women deserve the utmost. Even if I disagree with their position sometimes, my respect for them is unwavering.

And yes, I will refer to Mr. Harper as right honourable once he is sworn in (does anyone know, by the way, whether that would be published on the Governor General's website, or if I should be looking toward the Privy Council?).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
the caracal kid, while the Right Honourable Paul Martin has made his intend to resign clear, he has not yet done so, and he will likely remain the Leader of the Opposition until such time as the party has elected otherwise; such cannot be done immediately, and even implementing an interim leader would take some time after the House convenes.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
it actually would take very little to appoint an interim leader in the house. The Libs could easily have it done before the house next sits if they want to.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There has been no indication, however, that an interim leader is going to be appointed; the Right Honourable Paul Martin indicated that he would not be leading his party into the next general election — not that he would be resigning immediately.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
in the interest of regenerating the party, it would be best if the interim leader be appointed quickly. It would put a new face on the liberals now rather than later.

Martin wants the party to rebuild, and his acting as the "elder statesman" rather than leader of the opposition is a postive way to go.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jersay, from where did you learn that the Honourable Bill Graham would be assuming interim party leadership? The last I had been informed, was that the decision of whether to continue as leader or resign immediately from leadership into the next Parliament of Canada remained to be determined by the Prime Minister himself.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Jersay, from where did you learn that the Honourable Bill Graham would be assuming interim party leadership? The last I had been informed, was that the decision of whether to continue as leader or resign immediately from leadership into the next Parliament of Canada remained to be determined by the Prime Minister himself.

Had it on CTV this morning.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, okay. :)

Thanks, I wasn't aware. Is Mr. Graham not the Honourable Minister of Defence? I assume he would be appointed as the defence critic, as soon as long-term leadership is established.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Too bad the Honourable Deputy Prime Minister was defeated, eh?

I think that Ms. McLellan could have done a decent job in acting as an interim leader.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Too bad the Honourable Deputy Prime Minister was defeated, eh?

I think that Ms. McLellan could have done a decent job in acting as an interim leader.

Yeah, hey I just found this, John Manley will not run for leader;

OTTAWA (CP) - Former deputy prime minister John Manley won't seek the Liberal leadership, The Canadian Press has learned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Manley sent a letter late Wednesday night to friends and supporters informing them that he won't be a contender in the race to succeed Paul Martin, who announced his plan to step aside after leading the Liberals to defeat in Monday's election. "(Manley) is basically going to tell them, after thinking about it, he's not going to pursue the leadership of the party," a source close to Manley said. "He's got a life now. He's very much enjoying the work he's doing."

Manley ran against Martin for the leadership in 2003 but pulled out of the race early when it became apparent that Martin could not be stopped. Martin made it clear Manley would not be welcome in his regime, offering him the plum assignment of ambassador to Washington.

Manley declined the offer and retired from public life, joining the law firm of McCarthy Tetrault as senior counsel.

The source said he's enjoyed being involved in major business deals and sitting on the boards of a number of corporations.

Former New Brunswick premier Frank McKenna took the Washington post after Manley turned it down. McKenna, now perceived to be the frontrunner to replace Martin, cleared the way for a leadership bid Wednesday, announcing that he's offered his resignation as ambassador to Stephen Harper, the Conservative prime minister-designate.

The source said Manley was not daunted by the prospect of facing McKenna in a leadership contest. Rather, at 56, Manley simply felt the time was not right for him to attempt a political comeback.

Among other things, Manley had to consider the possibility that the next leader of the Liberal party could be sitting on the opposition benches for years to come.

Manley was frustrated during the 2003 leadership contest by what he considered the party brass's attempts to rig the rules to ensure a Martin coronation. Some Liberals suspect the party is now attempting to do the same thing again, preparing to set an early fall date for the leadership convention, something that would favour McKenna.

McKenna is likely to inherit Martin's political machine.

Some Liberals have argued that the next leader needs to be someone who was in no way involved with the 10-year civil war between Martin and his predecessor, arch-rival Jean Chretien. Manley served as deputy prime minister, industry minister, foreign affairs minister and finance minister under Chretien and has clashed with Martin in the past.

However, the source said Manley has built bridges to both camps since leaving politics and did not feel his association with the Chretien regime would be a liability.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/2006...LlvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--