Harper to the Fore!!!

Belinda Ryan

Nov 28, 2005
Well, I cannot say I am happy... but as a good Canadian, I will wait and see. I did not like the Mulroney Conservatives.. but I am willing to give Harper a chance. I only hope he does not keep all of his promises that he made...for if he does.. we will be back in the red in record time. He will not be able to do all that he said.. and he will have to learn the hard way that fact.

But we shall see what we shall see..... I was a Trudeau Liberal... Chretian blackened that for me... but I had some hope for Martin. Unfortunatley he was punished for what the previous leader did. i do think he went out with dignity tho.

So good luck Mr. Harper.. I will follow you until you do something that I disapprove of or until you start whining that you can do nothing bcause it is the Liberals fault.. please do not become a George W. Bush. whiner... and for God sakes.. do not sell our country down the river.....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Confidence in the Conservatives

I agree.

I would congratulate the Honourable Stephen Harper on having led his party to a plurality in the House of Commons. While I am no advocate of his party, I will lend my confidence to the Conservative Party of Canada, assuming Mr. Harper is appointed to govern — unless he gives me a reason to do otherwise in the next Session of Parliament.

Mr. Harper should keep in mind, however, that he was elected to the House of Commons with a minority of seats; he must govern under that premise, unlike, I would concede, the Liberal Party of Canada may have tended to do in the past. A moderate approach to governance, assuming he is appointed, would be the best approach for the Conservative Party of Canada to take, in my opinion.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"I will follow you until you do something that I disapprove of or until you start whining "

Not me, i reject Mr Harper and will not follow his CPCs in any way, shape or form. If they manage to do something correct, i will ackowlege it; if they do something incorrect; i will ackowledge it; but Harper does not represent me and i won't pretend he does.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, don't get me wrong, the Hon. Stephen Harper does not represent my views, nor does his party. But as a point of example, until his party does something or suggests something that I would vehemently disagree with, I would not support the defeat of a confidence measure.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
I was not suggesting a non-confidence vote in the house.

I was saying I reject the government of canada outright.

Harper, in his victory speech, reference not having to fight to change government. Maybe we do. Maybe the only real change will be if there was a revolution! Blood for blood, and guts for guts.

Kellen

Nominee Member
Sep 26, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
Belinda Ryan said:
Well, I cannot say I am happy... but as a good Canadian, I will wait and see. I did not like the Mulroney Conservatives.. but I am willing to give Harper a chance. I only hope he does not keep all of his promises that he made...for if he does.. we will be back in the red in record time. He will not be able to do all that he said.. and he will have to learn the hard way that fact.

But we shall see what we shall see..... I was a Trudeau Liberal... Chretian blackened that for me... but I had some hope for Martin. Unfortunatley he was punished for what the previous leader did. i do think he went out with dignity tho.

So good luck Mr. Harper.. I will follow you until you do something that I disapprove of or until you start whining that you can do nothing bcause it is the Liberals fault.. please do not become a George W. Bush. whiner... and for God sakes.. do not sell our country down the river.....

You were a Trudeau liberal and yet you worry about the cons putting us in the red? We have Mr.Trudeau to thank for the deficit in the first place.

As for the election results, I hope Harper stays his current course as a moderate and governs as such, he has a great opportunity here to make some progress. I can only hope he doesn't screw it up.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Harper to the Fore!!!

the caracal kid said:
I was not suggesting a non-confidence vote in the house.

I was saying I reject the government of canada outright.

Harper, in his victory speech, reference not having to fight to change government. Maybe we do. Maybe the only real change will be if there was a revolution! Blood for blood, and guts for guts.

Easy!

The bullet box can be an alternative, but only if the ballot box ceases to be..........or if the elected turn upon the citizens with extreme and on going violence.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Treason is certainly not a relative term.

The Crimimal Code of Canada said:
(2) Every one commits treason who, in Canada,

(a) uses force or violence for the purpose of overthrowing the government of Canada or a province;

(c) conspires with any person to commit high treason or to do anything mentioned in paragraph (a);
I would urge you against stepping the line of breaching the Criminal Code on-line, eh? ;)

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
it is a relative term. it is only treason if you fail.

i am not conspiring to do anything at this point. I am sitting on the fence watching what happens, and evaluating options.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Threatening our Parliamentary institutions with treason, resorting to the spilling of "blood for blood, and guts for guts," is certainly not acceptable, in my opinion. Our issues must be solved within the guidelines of our democratic and Parliamentary framework.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
must they?

perhaps if the system worked you could argue that. What of when the system itself is a failure though?

There are but a few ways to enact change. We shall see what happens in canada over the next little while. Canadians tend to be too lazy to actually stand up and do something so you probably won't see revolution in your lifetime. More likely you will see a peaceful dissolution of the country into peices. Politely breaking up is the more canadian way.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

FiveParadox said:
Threatening our Parliamentary institutions with treason, resorting to the spilling of "blood for blood, and guts for guts," is certainly not acceptable, in my opinion. Our issues must be solved within the guidelines of our democratic and Parliamentary framework.

FiveParadox ... I don't really think Caracal is suggesting we start stockpiling arms. :lol: Chill man. Although come to think of it, some of us may want to either do that or find an underground tunnel outta the country when they start rounding up us gay folks for the triangle tattoos ;) I don't mind the tats, but not sure I wanna live in a camp with men who are better dressed than I. ;) As a dyke, this government has some philosophies I find extremely disturbing. Can you say "Stonewall"? (For those who haven't heard of it ... Link )

I agree, Caracal ... it's a sad fact that Canadians are so damn polite that we've placed ourselves in a dangerous position. I love how you worded this:

If they manage to do something correct, i will ackowlege it; if they do something incorrect; i will ackowledge it; but Harper does not represent me and i won't pretend he does.

Exactly my sentiments. The party has been voted in, we live with it. I hope they find some good to do. I'm not confident that will happen, but am not going to start freaking out till they do something offensive. Thankfully it's not a majority government or maybe we would be looking more carefully at the definition of treason.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

the caracal kid said:
must they?

perhaps if the system worked you could argue that. What of when the system itself is a failure though?

There are but a few ways to enact change. We shall see what happens in canada over the next little while. Canadians tend to be too lazy to actually stand up and do something so you probably won't see revolution in your lifetime. More likely you will see a peaceful dissolution of the country into peices. Politely breaking up is the more canadian way.

You're claiming the system doesn't work? I think what you mean is that the system didn't give the results YOU wanted.

And therefore, you feel the right thing to do is whine, and cry, and say the government doesn't represent you, and make vague suggestions about treason....whatever.

By making such statements, you're just showing that you have no faith in the average Canadian to make a decision, and that you, and only you, know the light and the truth and the better way.

I say pshaw to you. I don't worship at your altar any more than I do Harper's.

nomore

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2006
Wow, Caracal Kid. I am amazed by your comments. Up until now, the majority of the comments I have seen you make have been well thought out, and reasonable. But now that the vote didn't go your way, you say the system dosen't work, and you propose treason?

Perhaps if you don't like the way our democracy works, you should be leaving this great country of ours on the next boat to North Korea, and then explain to all those starving people that have no democratic rights, just how bad you had it in Canada :roll:
You need a serious reality check.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

the caracal kid said:
but Harper does not represent me and i won't pretend he does.

Join the club. Martin doesn't represent me, neither does Layton.

But I respect the will of the Canadian people.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

TenPenny said:
You're claiming the system doesn't work? I think what you mean is that the system didn't give the results YOU wanted.

And therefore, you feel the right thing to do is whine, and cry, and say the government doesn't represent you, and make vague suggestions about treason....whatever.

By making such statements, you're just showing that you have no faith in the average Canadian to make a decision, and that you, and only you, know the light and the truth and the better way.

I say pshaw to you. I don't worship at your altar any more than I do Harper's.

pshaw?

TenPenny ... you seem to have got up on the grumpy side of the bed for someone I thought would be happy with the election.

I'm with Caracal ... If that means you think I don't have a lot of faith in the average Canadian to make decisions, you are correct. *shrug* So what? We ain't entitled to an opinion? Not that I actually saw Caracal offer that opinion. ;)

Yer definitely a cranky one, TenPenny. A sense of humour goes a long, long way to better human relations ... not to mention yer own blood pressure. ;) Have a coffee. Lighten up. Go spend some time in the joke thread. You need to relax man!!

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Cosmo - I disagree. What would you be saying if such comments were coming from the Conservative side if the Liberals had pulled off a surprising minority last night?

You people don't even give the other side the benefit of the doubt. I sense that many of you dislike Harper just because he's a Christian who's personal beliefs you dislike, in spite of the fact that he probably won't push them into law (how could he even if he wanted to, with these numbers?). Nonetheless, perhaps now you know how conservative Canadians felt when Paul Martin was constantly condemning their values, and even calling them "unCanadian".

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Speaking personally, I don't mind a Canadian political leader disagreeing with my (or my close family member's) personal beliefs as long as he doesn't shove it in my face... like Paul "your values are unCanadian!" Martin did.

Say what you will about Harper, but at least he reaches out to those who disagree with him (just look at his speech last night, when he even spoke warmly to those who didn't vote for his party).