our MP's

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Do you guys all vote for the party leaders, or do you go by local MP's?

Me personaly I usually take both into account. Last election although I was not really happy about the sponsorship scandal, I voted for the liberals because they had a good MP candidate...however this election I have moved from my old riding in Sask, which will probably impact my vote. I don't know my MPs well, but I have met alot of people who have told me good things about the MP for my area, I believe his name is Jim Prentice. I will probably be voting conservative this time around, but I think it has more to do with change in ottawa rather than in my district.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I confess.

I vote for the party. I'm a Conservative member, but I know nothing about the guy running for the CPC in my riding, other than his name is Wallace.

I do know a little about Paul Zed, the incumbent.

He is scum.

Makes it a little easier to decide.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
I confess.

I vote for the party. I'm a Conservative member, but I know nothing about the guy running for the CPC in my riding, other than his name is Wallace.

He is scum.

yea I am pretty sure most people vote the same way you do....actualy most don't care about the local MP. So is your riding a race between the libs and cons? new brunswick right?

Actualy my riding was just created in 2004, its central Calgary. The Consevatives won the seat handily in the last election. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens to Anne Mclellan and Kilgour in ALberta...actualy I believe kilgour is not running this year. They will probably loose the seat then because Kilgour served for like 25 years, but was barley voted in in 2004 by like 100 votes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's okay...it looks like Harper doesn't know anything about his candidates either, including their names. :lol:

You should be careful though. I know some folks in Saskatchewan who got stuck with Andy Scheer and far less than happy about it.

Do you guys all vote for the party leaders, or do you go by local MP's?

Some polls they were talking about on the radio show that most Canadian vote either for the leader or the party, with only 5-10% voting for the candidate.

A lot of those 5-10% seem to actually be voting against the candidate because he has pissed them off in some way, even though they otherwise would have at least considered supporting that candidate's party or leader.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
99% of the time I vote for the NDP but if for some reason the NDP does not have a reasonable chance to win (like 2001 provincial election when Libs won all but 2) I will vote for a good Independant or Marijuana Party.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: RE: our MP's

Colpy said:
I confess.

He is scum.

Stunning. Don't read the papers much, do you?

Last election, I had to vote for Paul Zed, because the NDP candidate was unacceptable for reasons that I know of, but aren't public and therefore I can't say...the Conservative candidate was a self important dickheaded businessman, who is about the only person I know of to run a bass river chairs outlet into the ground, and he considers himself so far abovee the rest he makes Paul Zed look like a man of the people....aside from Harper and Mackay, who make me gag every time they say "ethics"....so I held my nose and voted Zed...

Incidentally, Colpy, John Wallace is the guy who was in charge of the Harbourfront redevelopment scheme, until they decided to use the pier to unload powdered limestone in the middle of the walking trail system, instead of using the west side facilities.....so he resigned....he is a good man, I just don't know why he's attached to that party.....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: our MP's

TenPenny said:
Colpy said:
I confess.

He is scum.

Stunning. Don't read the papers much, do you?

Last election, I had to vote for Paul Zed, because the NDP candidate was unacceptable for reasons that I know of, but aren't public and therefore I can't say...the Conservative candidate was a self important dickheaded businessman, who is about the only person I know of to run a bass river chairs outlet into the ground, and he considers himself so far abovee the rest he makes Paul Zed look like a man of the people....aside from Harper and Mackay, who make me gag every time they say "ethics"....so I held my nose and voted Zed...

Incidentally, Colpy, John Wallace is the guy who was in charge of the Harbourfront redevelopment scheme, until they decided to use the pier to unload powdered limestone in the middle of the walking trail system, instead of using the west side facilities.....so he resigned....he is a good man, I just don't know why he's attached to that party.....

I do read papers, usually two a day.....the Globe and Mail and the National Post......at least the editorial pages.

The Telegraph-Journal is not fit to paper the bottom of a bird cage.

I would actually like to be more involved in local CPC politics.....but I work 5 PM to 2 or 3 AM, so am on the road every time they meet.

And yes, I had heard Wallace was a good guy. And yes, our candidate last time was not well-liked. And yes Paul Zed is a sleazy Chretien-style scumball.

I can see, if you are left-wing, why you would vote NDP. They will never win here, but I dislike strategic voting on principle. It is like Russian Roulette, IMHO.

At least you are not voting Liberal.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I vote for the party. If I didn't loathe this current Liberal Party so much I might look at the candidates more. The Liberals have held power federally for pretty much my entire politically aware life - they have proven so corrupt and incompetent that I always vote against them. I have doubts that I would be completely happy with any party, though. They're all a bunch of stupid feckers that feck everything up. The smaller the government, the less they can feck it up, the more likely they are to get my vote.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Reverend Blair said:
I do read papers, usually two a day.....the Globe and Mail and the National Post......at least the editorial pages.

So you read the opinions of people that agree with you and consider it be the news?

Actually, he's admitting that he doesn't read any local news. So I guess we can all assume that Colpy has no idea about local issues, since there isn't any other way to get local news.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reverend Blair said:

So you read the opinions of people that agree with you and consider it be the news?

Hey Rev!
:? :?
If I only read the opinions of people who agreed with me, I sure as hell wouldn't be hanging around here!

Geez!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
TenPenny said:
Reverend Blair said:

Actually, he's admitting that he doesn't read any local news. So I guess we can all assume that Colpy has no idea about local issues, since there isn't any other way to get local news.

That would be a completely fair assumption.

I don't know a damn thing about local issues, can't work up the interest.

It seems that within Canada, the farther away the issue, the more interested I am.

And that's the last confession you get on this thread. :D

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The point is that you get your official news and analysis from a centre-right paper and a far-right paper, both of which claim to be national papers in spite of the fact that they revolve around Bay Street.

Hey, Colpy...how come the Conservatives were doing their telephone canvassing from the US Senate yesterday?