Splinters: going to the Montreal Kyoto Summit!

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec
I have journalism homework to do, and Le Palais de Congres de Montreal is right off metro station Place D'armes and right scoot next to chinatown, so splinters is off to the montreal kyoto summit! (granted that the friends of that terrorist with the maps of our metro system don't kill me on the way there).
edit*: or Homolka. Thanks a lot, judgie. APPEAL. APPEAL.

What I'd like to know is what questions do fellow canuks and others around the web have for the delegates and other bigshots at the summit? Being very lucky and having handy dandy media affiliates I can bet my boots I can into the better portions of the summit on Saturday;

So what would you like to ask from who?
What do you want to know?

My own questions ( to nobody in particular, just aslong as they've got a name )

-Do you think that Montreal is an appropriate host for the Kyoto summit or is it, as the gazette puts it, a formal dress party at a messy house?

-What are the americans doing there?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Splinters: going to t

If you can corner an American, ask him/her about the implications of global warming in the continental United States and where they think they will be getting their money from.

If you can corner a Canadian, slap them on the side of the head (really hard too...use a hatchet if you've got one handy) and get them to explain why they are blowing the chance for Canada to be a world leader in alternative energy technologies.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
a general question: Is this going to be RESULT oriented or just more babble babble following which they make some lame statements aka 'press conference" and go home for the holidays???

and second the number 2 point that the rev made. Knock some sense into these blokes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Since global warming appears to be about to toss Europe into a deep freeze, I'm guessing that at least some of the delegates want it to results oriented.

They have to deal with the people who hate science and think gods or aliens or magical technology that appears from nowhere will save them though.

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec

Okay, questioning Canadians on their responsibility and Americans on...but say, aren't those strongly opposed to it the ones that don't really care cos they've got expiration dates?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They do care about it though, Splinters. They may not like it because it threatens their short-term wealth, but they care about it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"On page 38 of the plan, the Feds claim the plan could reduce emmissions by 270 megatons annually in the 2008-2012 period"

"....Canada's entire manufacturing sector - which includes the construction industry and mining - spewed out 62.9 megatonnes.....the transportation sector, which includes all those planes, trains and automobiles........(emits) 190 megatonnes
.....that makes up 252.9 megatonnes, leaving us 17.1 megatonnes short."

".....the "One Ton Challenge".........has a reduction goal of 5 megatonnes"

Licia Corbella in the Calgary Sun

At a cost of 5 billion dollars.

Absolutely nutso.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
www.climatechange.gc.ca

[/url]www.ec.gc.ca/pdb/ghg/inventories_e.cfm www.ec.gc.ca/pdb/ghg/data_reports_e.cfm www.ec.gc.ca/pdb/ghg/ghg_home_e.cfm

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Are the costs per annum? The feds claim a four year period for reductions. Are the figures he quoted a four year or a one year rate?

One must also look at the dimininshing costs. Reductions in air pollutants would put less strain on the medical system. Would there be any differences in home heating/cooling costs ? Is there an overall benefit in crop production? Would there be a decrease in flooding or drought? Would that in turn allow for healthier livestock production?( again that would relate to diminishing healthcare costs.) Would the benefit of creating new greener technologies outweigh the initial $5 billion investment? Would the said technologies have an impact on job creation? ( this may or may not reduce dependancy on Unemployment standings.) Would the new technologies require Re- educating people to fill positions? ( this is a cost at first, but it also creates the need for professors and peripheral jobs at universities and colleges..they inturn pay taxes which are a return on the initial investment.)

$5 bil. seems like a realitively cheap investment cost as to the potential gain.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Is there a way to weigh his myopic financial wants with being able to feed and clothe ourselves in the future?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
OTTAWA, November 28, 2005 – The Government of Canada today released a discussion draft of cross-cutting provisions of proposed regulations that will govern greenhouse gas emission reductions from large industrial facilities. The draft provisions are in keeping with commitments outlined in: “Moving Forward on Climate Change: A Plan for Honouring our Kyoto Commitment”. Large Final Emitters (LFEs) - the oil and gas, thermal electricity, and mining and manufacturing sectors - are expected to achieve a 45 megatonne reduction between 2008 and 2012.

That's from page one of the link Colpy put up. Its a little different than what he first put up.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

To be fair, he got what he first put up from the Calgary Sun...not exactly a source of quality journalism. It is, however, and excellent to look at some titties before checking your personal biodex.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ocean Breeze said:
a general question: Is this going to be RESULT oriented or just more babble babble following which they make some lame statements aka 'press conference" and go home for the holidays???

Good point OB. Let's get on with it already.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Splinters: going to t

Reverend Blair said:
To be fair, he got what he first put up from the Calgary Sun...not exactly a source of quality journalism. It is, however, and excellent to look at some titties before checking your personal biodex.

Absolutely! :D

I don't actually read the Calgary Sun. Just the Gab and Wail and the National Post.

I know nothing about the subject, I sometimes just trip across a thread where you guys are so busty congratulating each other on your intelligence, sensitivity, and insight that I am forced to go looking for something to stir the pot.

Explain this to me however:
If the treaty requires us to reduce emissions to 6% less than 1990's total, and our 1990 total was 596 megatonnes, and our emissions have risen about 25% since then, how does a planned reduction of just 48 megatonnes meet our commitments?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Re: RE: Splinters: going to t

Colpy said:
I know nothing about the subject, I sometimes just trip across a thread where you guys are so busty congratulating each other on your intelligence, sensitivity, and insight that I am forced to go looking for something to stir the pot.

I think your answer is there Splinters.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'm not sure what kind of questions you are after, Splinters. It's a huge area with a tonne of angles. I presume you want something deeper than the usual platitudes.

Domestically:

You could ask why the GST hasn't been dropped on things like insulation and high efficiency windows and doors, Splinters.

You could compare the various platforms of the political parties and question the international delegates on which they think will work.

You could ask the Canadian delegates why we haven't done more to build public transit.

You could ask what they intend to do about our north and the people who live there as it melts.

Internationally:

You can ask what they really think of Canada's performance.

You can ask if they have any plans to sell clean technologies to developing nations.

You can see if there are any plans to lay lawsuits under the WTO because the US refusal to join Kyoto and statements that they have no plans of meeting any international goals amount to a de facto subsidy.