Slaves in Canada.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
This is a short education about SLAVES in Canada. Sort of an invisible group unknown by most Canadians.
Durgan.
http://delporti.notlong.com

Who are the migrant Farm Workers?

These people generally come from places where unemployment runs high, making the workers desperate to be accepted into the program even though it means spending eight months a year away from their families. More importantly, they are desperate to stay in it due to economic hardship at home...

There are 11,000 migrant workers from Mexico and almost 8,000 from the Carribean working in Canada in 2002. These figures get higher every year.Nobody wants the migrant workers to stay in Canada, so only married men (and some single mothers) are allowed into the program...

They are packed into substandard houses like sardines, forced to work gruelling 12-15 hour days, 7 days a week without overtime or holiday pay. They are often subjected to outright abuse in the workplace.they are paid $7.70 an hour minus Employment Insurance (EI), which they are not entitled to collect...

http://antlepam.notlong.com

More than 15,000 foreign migrant workers are employed in Canada every year – 85 per cent of them in Ontario – under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program, which began in 1966 in partnership with the Carribean government. It was extended to Mexico in 1974...
http://antlepam1.notlong.com

Work is Work... un poco bruscas

The workers reported extremely long working hours from 7 or 8 in the morning until 1 or 2 the next morning (14-16 hours with one or two hours for meal breaks) for 3 weeks in August,1997. Their "usual" working hours were from 7 or 8 in the morning until 9 or 10 in the evening (14 hours with a one to two hour break). Inadequate washroom facilities at the field sites, short meal breaks (30 minutes) and coffee breaks (15 minutes in theory twice a day, but in practice often withheld), and extremely long working hours for weeks on end are the main ingredients in the creation of the Mexican workers' self identity within the Canadian economy - a work machine. This sentiment can be extracted from the following comments by the workers:

I don't want to live in Canada because it is puro trababjo (only work)..
I come to Canada to work, and work is work.
(the working condition in Canada) is not so good. They are kind of un poco bruscas (harsh). The work is hard, and we always have to work long hours...

Durgan.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
This is the issue that got lost in Strippergate when they were trying to hang Judy Sgro.

The young lady in question was here on the same kind of temporary work visa that migrant farm workers come into the country on. The question that should have been raised is why those visas do not provide real protections for migrant and temporary workers.

We need major reforms to the rights and protections we offer temporary workers, including giving them the same rights as Canadian workers have and ensuring that they have an agency to go to when those rights and protections are infringed on.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
I know that some "immigrant" workers are not well done by.
On the other hand,I know several,personally,who work at a local farm,from April to October. These are all family men,from Jamaica. They are paid above minimum wage,get room and partial board,get return airfare,get health services from the region,get literacy training, and have a bus at their disposal.
I've seen photos of their families and their homes...and each have told me that the money they make here entitles them to an above standard of living back home.
These,by the way,are not highly educated men...but they are decent and very hard working.
Of course,it would be better if Canadian workers would take the jobs...they won't,and for the "farm" workers I've met they are not unhappy with their lot.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Slaves" is simply the wrong word to use here.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose then, buy that definition, I'm a slave also.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Re: RE: Slaves in Canada.

annabattler said:
I know that some "immigrant" workers are not well done by.
On the other hand,I know several,personally,who work at a local farm,from April to October. These are all family men,from Jamaica. They are paid above minimum wage,get room and partial board,get return airfare,get health services from the region,get literacy training, and have a bus at their disposal.
I've seen photos of their families and their homes...and each have told me that the money they make here entitles them to an above standard of living back home.
These,by the way,are not highly educated men...but they are decent and very hard working.
Of course,it would be better if Canadian workers would take the jobs...they won't,and for the "farm" workers I've met they are not unhappy with their lot.

I read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" when about 12 years of age. Yes, many Southern Gentleman treated their slaves well. Even a slave owner could be humane, but this should in no way be used as an excuse to condone the practice of slavery.

Working conditions,etc, should not be dependent upon the whims of the employee in this "modern" society. Rules and regulations and inspections; and an independent voice for the workers should be the order of the day.

I only wish all had the happy situations you presented, but this is simply not the case, and to pretend otherwise is hiding the issue.

This migrant group has no power or influence, hence almost anything goes. The humane whims of a "master" is simply not enough protection. Hence the mention of slavery in my post.

Durgan.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Definition of a slave:

One that is completely subservient to a dominating influence.

What would you call it? "

Well, migrant workers who willingly travel thousands of miles to work in a foreign country, and are free to leave any time, and in fact do come and go every year hardly fit this definition, do they?

Voluntary suckers might be a better term, although at $7.70 per hour, that's higher than most minimum wages.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ha-ha, good one.

I was referring to the fact that, much like you I'm sure, I'm a slave to the system....a "dominating influence" that I have become subservient to.

Have you ever worked in the lower rungs of agriculture, Durgan?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Unfortunately if the goal is to make money, most of those workers would probably object to having their work day shortened. They are here for a short time and want to pocket as much money as they can during that time.

I work with a lot of travelling nurses who do the same thing. They come to our hospital for 8-13 week contracts where they are required to work 5 12 hour shifts a week, but most of them pick up a significant amount of OT in addition to the minimum by doing extra shifts or turning their 12 hour shifts into 16 hour shifts. No one forces them to do it, most are just trying to make the maximum amount of money in the minimum amount of time.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org

Jay said:
Ha-ha, good one.

...Have you ever worked in the lower rungs of agriculture, Durgan?

Indeed, I shovelled more pig shit than I care to remember, chopped wood at 40 below, hauled water from a frozen well through deep snow, melted snow on a wood stove for washing clothes, worked on threshing crews with horses and later tractors for long hours, hoeed potatoe patches, bathed in a tub three or four times each winter, used coal oil lamps.I could light the stove in 2 minutes from the time my feet hit the 40 degree floor. I was young and found the work enjoyable. Chased chickens and shot ground hogs and squirrels. Listened to the battery radios until the A cell went dead about mid week.They were not the good old days. A peasant who has left the land probably never wants to go back, except in dreams.

Electric lights, running water, central heat gives one a lot of leisure time. Particularly when the first 15 ywears of my life about 4 hours per day were utilized in obtaining heat, light, water.

Durgan.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
worked on threshing crews with horses and later tractors for long hours

Durgan's old. :wink: 8)

I tried the threshing crew thing at a thresherman's reunion once...It was brutal and not much fun at all. The worst part is that the horses need several hours of work before and after the other work is done.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
well I guess we could simply ban them from coming here and becoming slaves....except if they are willing to come here and work then it must be even worse where they are coming from....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Durgan said:
Jay said:
Ha-ha, good one.

...Have you ever worked in the lower rungs of agriculture, Durgan?

Indeed, I shovelled more pig shit than I care to remember, chopped wood at 40 below, hauled water from a frozen well through deep snow, melted snow on a wood stove for washing clothes, worked on threshing crews with horses and later tractors for long hours, hoeed potatoe patches, bathed in a tub three or four times each winter, used coal oil lamps.I could light the stove in 2 minutes from the time my feet hit the 40 degree floor. I was young and found the work enjoyable. Chased chickens and shot ground hogs and squirrels. Listened to the battery radios until the A cell went dead about mid week.They were not the good old days. A peasant who has left the land probably never wants to go back, except in dreams.

Electric lights, running water, central heat gives one a lot of leisure time. Particularly when the first 15 ywears of my life about 4 hours per day were utilized in obtaining heat, light, water.

Durgan.

Thanks Durgan. :)

So suffice to say you know that the business isn't 9-5, all pretty with roses. It’s hard work, long hours etc....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The point isn't what it's like where they are coming from though, Twila. The point is that we either believe in human and worker's rights for everyone or we don't. If we want and need them to come here, and we do, then they should be afforded the same rights as Canadian workers.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I like this part though...

"minus Employment Insurance (EI), which they are not entitled to collect... "

That's the Canadian government for ya.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The point isn't what it's like where they are coming from though, Twila. The point is that we either believe in human and worker's rights for everyone or we don't. If we want and need them to come here, and we do, then they should be afforded the same rights as Canadian workers.
Your telling me a point I'm making isn't the point? huh? I brought it up because there's a reason those individuals are coming here for this type of work....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They are coming here because they need the work and we need the workers. That is no reason not to give them the same rights and protections as Canadian workers. Why they come here is not the point, how they are treated when they are here is the point.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org

Twila said:
well I guess we could simply ban them from coming here and becoming slaves....except if they are willing to come here and work then it must be even worse where they are coming from....

True, Oh so true. A litle consideration, probably some overtime pay, pleasant living conditions as possible. A realistic place to get redress and be heard. They can now get CPP as far as I know, but no EI spite of paying into the fund. Application of the normal saftey laws that apply to Canadian Workers. Being recognized as contributing to the economy. Maybe some public recognizition for their contribution. I am suggesting the little human touches. Unfortunately, The fat and well fed seldom see misery around them.

Durgan.

Durgan.