Liberals backstab our military......again.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
From the National Post:

"A $12.1 billion proposal to fast track the purchase of badly needed new planes for the Canadian Air Force has fallen victim to aggessive lobbying by Canadian Aerospace firms.....

The plan, which would cut five to ten years from the process of buying 50 new transport aircraft, cargo helicopters, and search planes was to go before the federal Cabinet later this week......

But the plan has now been put on the back burner.......because of a "ferocious" lobbying campaign by Canadian aircraft firms..........Sources also said a looming election has pushed the proposal back several months."

In short, these aircraft were to be bought off the shelf....the best stuff for the best price....bUT Bombardier (anyone surprized?) cried "FOUL". They want their Dash 8 considered for search aircraft despite being "too small, too slow, and ill-equiped"

Bad enough theLiberals pull off the deception that they are rebuilding the military (first real money to come in 2008, for God's sake), now they are backing away from that.

Lying cowards, every time, in every situation. They lied that they were going to help out fast, and they do not even have the cojones to perhaps alienate a single peace-nic, brain-dead voter by buying military equipment. Even non-combat equipment.

Please, Oh Wise Canadian Voter, rid us of this scum.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Liberals backstab our

If they would have gone ahead, you would have been screaming that they were buying our votes with our money.

We need to de-politicise the purchase of military equipment by giving the military a mandate and a budget. Does anybody in parliament really know anything about military equipment? No...not the Conservatives, not the BQ, not the NDP, and not the Liberals. Tell the professionals what you want them to do, tell them to buy what they need to do it, and give them the cash to buy those things.

I'd be careful with this Hillier guy though...he seems to like war a little too much. The mandate he is given should include direct orders to be a peacekeeper.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Liberals backstab our

Reverend Blair said:
If they would have gone ahead, you would have been screaming that they were buying our votes with our money.

We need to de-politicise the purchase of military equipment by giving the military a mandate and a budget. Does anybody in parliament really know anything about military equipment? No...not the Conservatives, not the BQ, not the NDP, and not the Liberals. Tell the professionals what you want them to do, tell them to buy what they need to do it, and give them the cash to buy those things.

I'd be careful with this Hillier guy though...he seems to like war a little too much. The mandate he is given should include direct orders to be a peacekeeper.

Actually, the rebuilding of our military is a personal priority with me.....I don't give a damn who does it.

I agree with every word of the second paragraph.

Exactly what "peace" would you have Hillier keep? Semantic, feel good BS. The job of the military is to destroy enemies of the nation when and where instructed to do so. That is the capability they must hone. Anything else (peacekeeping, disaster relief, saving snow-bound Torontonians) may be worthwhile, but it is NOT their reason to exist.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Spoken like somebody truly ignorant of the situation in the rest of the world and all too ready to send somebody off to die to protect US oil interests.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
So by protecting the nation (Canada) we are sending people off to die for US oil interests.....Wow, it just gets more and more ridiculous by the day.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Look at the wars that your party supports, Jay. Sorry, I don't think any Canadians should have to fight for Halliburton profits or Exxon contracts. I don't think Canada should ally itself with a country that has broken so many international laws that its leaders are afraid of the ICC. I don't think Canada should support countries that bomb civilians with banned weapons.

Got a problem with that? Do you think Canadians should be coming home in body bags to protect Dick Cheney's income? Do you think that helping to bomb civilians will make us safer?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
He says "The job of the military is to destroy enemies of the nation.."

And you call him "truly ignorant" and spin it into some Anti-American propaganda...again. That would be the problem from my point of view.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Has your point of view checked out what your party wants to do with our military? Has your point of view checked out Hillier's warlike statements?

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

It's bad enough that OUR soldiers are dying for oil profits and Halliburton contracts. No way in hell do I think Canadians should be expected to sacrifice their sons and daughters as well.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I heard that the only way this would have been "fast tracked" was to skip over the proper tendering process and have cabinet directly order them...but with an election looming, no one wanted to bend the rules so blatantly.

So how could this suddenly be a negative for the Liberals? Why not blame Harper for this? After all, it's his desire to have an election that is forcing the Liberals to follow proper procedures.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I heard that the only way this would have been "fast tracked" was to skip over the proper tendering process and have cabinet directly order them...but with an election looming, no one wanted to bend the rules so blatantly.

So how could this suddenly be a negative for the Liberals? Why not blame Harper for this? After all, it's his desire to have an election that is forcing the Liberals to follow proper procedures.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You've got a point there, Ten Penny. I think we should all chip in and buy the CPC a real issue for x-mas. Maybe we could get them a real leader as a stocking stuffer.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Our military has been stabbed in the back

so many times by both the CPC and the Liberals that it has a permanent slot for the knife. I was in our Airforce back in the days when we had an Airforce. Somehow our military has shrunk to about a tenth of what it was in the late fifties and early sixties. Does anyone want to tell me that the world is a friendlier place now and we don't need as large a military. Does the Canadian Airforce have an aircraft younger than twentyfive years old? Did anyone here know that the C-130 Hercules aircraft are as old, or older than most people on these boards.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The nature of the problems have changed, Juan. Most wars now are small guerilla wars...usually of the civil variety, although I hate to use the word civil when referring to war.

There are actually a lot fewer wars now than there were before too. Paradoxically, that increases the need for peacekeepers. It also requires that those peacekeepers have equipment of at least the same vintage they are keeping the peace between.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Liberals backstab our military......again.

TenPenny said:

Let me see if I can follow this logic......

The Liberals, who canceled the original helicopter contract back in '93, who disbanded the Airborne, who have cut, starved, over-extended, abused and crapped upon our military for 12 years, who have dishonoured our soldiers and endangered their lives, follow suit by once again failing to live up to expectations and buy very badly needed aircraft.........and it is Harper's fault.

WOW.....that's a REACH. One almost has to admire your gall.

The Conservatives, of course, have done their best to keep our military effective.

What this little game of Martin's proves is exactly how serious he ISN'T about rebuilding the military.

A liar and a coward at every opportunity....that's Martin.

Harper is ten times the man. And that's not very difficult.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Let me see if I can follow this logic: you want the gov't to AVOID all of the proper rules for procurement, just because this is a pet cause of yours?

Wow. That's a reach. You have a lot of gall to even suggest this.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Nah, he just wants to put it in people's heads that it's Martin's fault. Like I said before, if Martin didn't put this on hold, the Harperites would be screaming that the tendering process was skipped.

It's playing cheap political games with our military.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Liberals backstab our

Reverend Blair said:
Has your point of view checked out what your party wants to do with our military? Has your point of view checked out Hillier's warlike statements?

Heres a quote from him. I don't have a problem with this guy.

""We are not the Public Service of Canada," he declared. "We are not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able to kill people."
The terrorist bombings in London underscore the need to take the fight to the enemy in failed states where they have room to thrive, said Hillier.
As a Western society that values rights and freedoms, Canada is already in conflict with "what people like Osama bin Laden, Mullah Omar and those others want."
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags," Hillier said. "They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties."
It's time for Canada to take a stand, he said, just as it did 66 years ago when it joined the Second World War against the Nazis, whom he described as "those despicable, murderous bastards.""

Sounds reasonable to me.

Also, If Canada wants to have a seat at the discussion tables concerning these matters, we have to put forth an effort. Just like in WWII. Brian Mulroney did have to remind Europe that "we are not renting our seat" there. Our seat was bought and paid for by our military and gives us leverage.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Jay, Hillier completely ignores the political nuance that leads to terrorism and uses the same sabre-rattling rhetoric as George Bush. He needs to kept on a leash about 3 inches long, or he'll bite the wrong person.

He was a poor choice for the position he was given, and does not seem capable of understanding that killing people has to be a last resort because doing so has repercussions that make people like bin Laden stronger, not weaker.