'Twas the Day After Christmas

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
From a letter in today's National Post:

'Twas the day after Christmas, when all through the land
The voters were mushing to polls in a band.
The snow was a'blowing, the ice was crisp too,
But onward in parkas, the voters came through.
They came out to vote to get rid of the gang
That Gomery said "Turf" in the snow with a bang.
On Stephen! On Peter! On Roma and Russ!
Now Gurmant and Nina voted in with a plus,
Stockwell and Reynolds and Inky and Toews,
Get votes and more votes in wave upon waves.
Harper's colleagues have won the deep winter vote,
And the country climbs into an honest lifeboat.
The Ottawa spring will dawn sunny and warm,
Canucks have welcomed the Conservative storm.
And Stephen declares in a voice bright and clear.
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good year."

By Jane Gaffney, Surrey, BC

MAKE IT SO!

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
RE: 'Twas the Day After C

This will never happen. The NDP will (and should) win befor the cons. do.

And if people woyuld stop voting strategically for the Liberals the NDP might have a chance of getting in.

And that would be the best thing that could happen to our nation.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The NDP don’t have enough votes to get elected. Even if all the people who voted for the Liberals, who would normally vote NDP, switched back to the NDP, they still wouldn’t have the votes needed.

People in Ontario are concerned for their jobs, the rise of taxes, the economy and debt loads. Why would we change our vote to NDP?

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

because the Conservatives AND the Liberals are both a bunch of corrupt crooks.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I guess the funny thing is, we in Ontario work for those corporations, and we like our jobs, and we like being the economic engine of this country. We are convinced the NDP will ruin our situation. They will use anti-corporate rhetoric and will scare investment away, not to mention raise taxes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Where is your proof of that, Jay? You are looking at the actions of one NDP government that was headed by a former Liberal who is now rumoured to be in the running for head of the federal Liberals when Martin leaves.

The Conservative government who followed him turned out to be brutal, uncaring, and inept. They ran deficits; instituted irresponsible cuts to education, healthcare, and other social programs; have been implicated in the OPP murder of an unarmed native protestor; appear to given kickbacks to contractors working on nuclear plants; caused a police riot where homeless protestors were beaten; and were at least partly negligent in the Walkerton water scandal.

The proposed policies of the federal Conservatives closely match those of Mike Harris. The proposed policies of the federal NDP do not match those of Bob Rae.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
show me a party that won't raise taxes...it's all shite and you know it. Fear tatics my boy. I just hope that we will finally be able to find someone in the country we can vote for who isn't so bloody corrupt

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about national politics and why the NDP aren’t going to get elected nationally....not bashing Mike Harris.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: 'Twas the Day After Christmas

manda said:
show me a party that won't raise taxes...it's all shite and you know it. Fear tatics my boy. I just hope that we will finally be able to find someone in the country we can vote for who isn't so bloody corrupt

The last government in Ontario didn't raise taxes, they lowered them.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Everything you've ever said about the NDP has been smething you justified through your perspective of the Rae government, Jay.

If you are talking federally, then you'd have to go just by their platform. There is nothing in it on raising taxes. There is also nothing in it on cutting social programs to the bone or destroying what's left of the civil service.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la

Jay said:
manda said:

only for now, you can guarantee that they aregivingit to the people hardcore in another manner...like living expenses

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I have had a look at their website. It says nothing. Maybe they added their platform there recently, since I haven't visited their site lately.

I suspect they won't run on a platform of cutting social spending or destroying the civil service....I think Jack wants to cut out any private health whatsoever, and increase the civil service. He will need to raise taxes to do that.

I also think he isn’t going to get the chance, because he isn’t fooling Ontario.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

manda said:
Jay said:
manda said:

only for now, you can guarantee that they aregivingit to the people hardcore in another manner...like living expenses

True. Ontario is getting screwed regardless of how you look at it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Their platform this time will be about the same as their platform last time, Jay. It was found fiscally sound by the accountants who reviewed it. More accountants gave the NDP platform a passing grade than those who reviewed Harper's.

The myth of the NDP being about nothing but spending and taxes is just that...a myth. The other parties, especially the Conservatives, like to perpetuate that myth because they are really uncomfortable talking about their own policies really mean to working people. They throw out "tax and spend" as an epithet instead of making cogent arguments about policy because their own policy is sorely lacking.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose all the parties are subject to the rhetoric of the other parties.

If the NDP are going to run on last elections agenda then I suspect they are going to get a similar response from the voters. The only difference will be the amount of voters who decide to not vote strategically to keep the Tories out.

The NDP are not corporate friendly. They consistently say it. This isn't going to attract investment in to Canada, nor is it going to convince Canadian investors their investments are safe. That is the sort of thing Ontario voters are concerned with.

The reason we don't vote for Harper in Ontario is Canadian geo-politics. We aren't willing to be ruled out of the west at the moment. If the seemingly grass roots, western conservative movement, is willing to accept a leader from Ontario, things would be different. Its just the way we are at the moment.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Like really an election does not need to be called for another 3 years as the next one (and one after) nothing is really going to change. The Conservatives should try to work with NDP to pass some of their own legislation instead of trying to bring government down. And if they get some of their policy's passed, they would look better to the electorate as a viable alternative, but the conservatives don't seem to have any advisors with common sense though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The platform from the last election is still valid, Jay. SSM will have dropped off, except for a promise to keep it. Not a lot has changed since the last time around though. The NDP already had a fairly solid ethics package last time around too. Broadbent just kind of filled it out.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: 'Twas the Day After C

no1important said:
Like really an election does not need to be called for another 3 years as the next one (and one after) nothing is really going to change. The Conservatives should try to work with NDP to pass some of their own legislation instead of trying to bring government down. And if they get some of their policy's passed, they would look better to the electorate as a viable alternative, but the conservatives don't seem to have any advisors with common sense though.

From a Conservative point of view... This government is not holding a mandate to govern any more. They haven't held one since they lost the no confidence vote last summer. Three parties now agree (Jack couldn't soak them for any more) that this government is over, the Liberals even agree as they have to call an election, as promised,. The Liberals just want later than sooner....