Americans to try Khadr.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am no fan of the Khadrs. In fact I have said repeatedly that were there justice in the world, the whole damn family would be tried for sedition and if found guilty, hanged from lamp posts on Yonge Street.

That said, at least I would give them a trial.

This American move is simply dumb-ass.

To begin with, the Fifth Amendment prohibits trial by military court marshall unless the accused is serving in the US military at the time of the offense.

In addition, the US has taken a page from Canadian jurispudence, and may not allow the accused to hear some of the evidence against him.

The Americans have not ruled out the death penalty. Khadr was 14 at the time of the so-called offense.

IF these guys are criminals, they must ber given proper criminal trials. They are not criminals.

IF these guys are legitimate POWs, then they should be let go as soon shortly after the cessation of hostilities. I am just starting to lean towards this as the solution. After all, the war on terror will never be over. So it will be a LONG time before the US would have to release these loonies.

I can not believe we have welcomed these people back with open arms. Some ally we are!

Realistically, I think the Khadrs should be tried in Canada for sedition. They attacked our allies in a theatre were there were Canadian troops. That is exactly the same thing as attacking Canadian troops.

I am willing to forgo the Yonge Street lamp posts for 25 year sentences.

I suppose it would have been unsanitary.

This has to be the most conflicted thing I have ever written.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Omar Khadr seems like a hell of a good soldier to me, very brave. He fought until he was incapacitated. In another situation he would be awarded a Hero's medal. I only wish he had have been on the side I am supporting.One man's terrorists is another man's hero. I suggest due to the circumstances this man is a hero.

From where I sit he was taken in battle fair and square. He withstood all odds, five dedicated men against 50 US troops plus air support. Men were killed, that is a fact of war. Trying a prisoner for doing his duty, that is the crime.

He owes his life to US Medical aid. In any normal battle situation he would have been dispatched forthwith.

Did he violate Canadian Law? If so he should be tried in Canada. His age is of no importance. I find the existence of the Guantanamo Bay Gaol repugnant. It has the odour of fascism. The West can do better.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security... Benjamin Franklin

Durgan.