Broadbent to unveil federal ethics plan today

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Broadbent to unveil federal ethics plan today

OTTAWA — Veteran New Democrat M-P Ed Broadbent says "it's time to bring trust and accountability back to government."

Broadbent is going to unveil a plan today for cleaning up government by combating cronyism and ethical abuses.\

Click above link for full story.

He has some good ideas, but I have a feeling they may not pass in the house, unfortunatly.

I like the reforming the way we vote, a mix of first past the post and proportional representation, fixed election dates is good as well.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Broadbent to unveil f

Remember what I was saying about addressing the policies instead of the scandals? That's what this plan does.

The Liberals aren't going to like it and the Conservatives will likely reject it as well. Hopefully the NDP put it up for debate on their first opposition day. Then the Liverals and Conservatives will have to kill it instead of just putting it off until an election is called.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Hopefully the NDP can use it as leverage during this or the next government, which will be a miniority one as well.

Ed Broadbent is a smart guy and he never has recieved the credit he deserves for it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He'll be missed, that's for sure.

I hope this gets into the fray before the writ for the next election is dropped. It carries extra weight with Broadbent there, and he's not running again. It's also an important bill because it tries to address the root problems. If the changes were to go through, it would be much more difficult for corrupt individuals to get away with the things they do.