Government Announce crack down on Methamphetamine Offenders

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
I see on the internet that the Federal Government of Canada are going to get tough on the methamphetamine offenders in Canada. They have passed legislation saying that they have increased the maximum penalty from 10 years to life in prison.

That, in my opinion will do nothing to stop those who are making this drug. How stupid the government officials are by saying “we have increased the maximum penalty from 10 years to life in prison.” The judicial system in Canada is made up of lawyers and judges who seem to be helping themselves. The judges will not impose the maximum sentence for any crimes as they know the defense lawyers, (who a lot of the judges used to be) will appeal the case to a higher court, knowing that they can buy some time and likely get a more lenient judge the next go around.
Lord knows that sooner or later the prosecution will run out of money and their clients seldom do. The crooks have the advantage of using the legal-aid system and/or have a ton of cash from their drug deals to defend themselves.
I would like to see the list of 10 people from each province in Canada of those people that have received the maximum sentence of 10 years, under the old legislation.
A lot of people have asked for restriction on the chemicals that are being used to make the methamphetamines. Is it because Canadians are being stupid and electing lawyers to represent them in Parliament that the are not restricting the sale of these chemicals. If a lawyer (now turned politician) were to make laws that would restrict their fellow lawyers from earning money, what would that do for their image. Sounds like somebody is getting a kick-back.

What do you think.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Government Announce c

The new maximum sentences won't make a difference even if they are used every time. The US has been trying shit like this since Reagan was President and it's gotten worse instead of better.

You can't deal with social and health problems by throwing people in prison.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Treatment before prison I say. Actually users should not go to jail period. The government should pay for treatment and rehabilitation.

The guys that make it and sell will continue. The worst is the price may go up for customers, but it will be made and obviously there is a demand.

I saw on news cocaine and herion the max sentance is life, but in reality it is never handed out anyways.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: Government Announce crack down on Methamphetamine Offend

Life in prison won't mean much to a meth user--they only have an average of 7 years living while on the drug. If anything,a stay in prison would just extend their lives.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I think a lot of them start with herion and coke/crack and when they have no money they buy meth. Meth is 5$ a hit out here apparently.

We need more drug treatment facilities. If someone wants off drugs why should they have to wait for a spot? Chances are they wont want a spot after waiting, especially if it is a while to get in. Once they realize they need help, treatment should be availble forthwith.

You do have to wonder about the "mental stability" of the people who make it though. They are really putting their lives at risk. There have been a few meth fires out here and apparently it does not take a whole lot of effort for one to blow up and when they do, they really explode.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's the ammonia blowing up No1. There's a problem with fertilizer being stolen out here because they need it for making meth. It's the same stuff Timmy McVeigh used in the Oklahoma City bombing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
RE: Government Announce crack down on Methamphetamine Offend

People who make and sell meth should be handcuffed to a rock on the outskirts of Churchill Manitoba. Not that it would be fair to the residents, but it might be good for the polar bears.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

I see on the internet that the Federal Government of Canada are going to get tough on the methamphetamine offenders in Canada. They have passed legislation saying that they have increased the maximum penalty from 10 years to life in prison.
I'm sure victory is right around the corner. :roll:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

A lot of people have asked for restriction on the chemicals that are being used to make the methamphetamines. Is it because Canadians are being stupid and electing lawyers to represent them in Parliament that the are not restricting the sale of these chemicals.

This reminds me of the infinite ability of goverments to make stupid decisions. Back a year or so, the police complained that some equipment seized during raids on grow-ops had been previously seized. You see, what would happen is that the equipment would go for public auction, and get bought by other growers. So the goverments response? They mandated that all fans, dehumidifiers etc... seized during grow-op raids had to be destroyed. :roll: Typical stupid goverment. :roll:

bulldog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Re: RE: Government Announce c

Reverend Blair said:
The new maximum sentences won't make a difference even if they are used every time. The US has been trying shit like this since Reagan was President and it's gotten worse instead of better.

You can't deal with social and health problems by throwing people in prison.

You are absolutely right, Rev. You can't even treat meth users if they themselves don't want to be helped. It's the most difficult drug there is to deal with - so they say.

Bull Dog

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC

It was nice that the feds increased the "maximum sentence" but how about increasing or implementing a "minimum sentence" (don't know if we have one).

Out here in the Lower Mainland a bunch of stores have got together and started a "Crystal Meth Watch Program" and specifics products are monitored heavily and customers are advised that the RCMP will be advised. It's a good first start.

About 2 years ago at Home Depot the garden centre customer rep was pissed that she had to load 25 bags of Sunshine Mix (grow op) for 2 teenage kids. She actually chased them out of her department and told me she didn't care if she got fired she was not going to abide and abet any sort of obvious drug activity. Good for her.

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller

What is interesting on this topic is that the governments will not control the materials that are used for the manufacture of the methamphetamines. Is their reaction to the calls for control of the materials, “I am sorry, were you talking to me!” I guess the only way that you will get a politician to react is if the general public make sure that each and all children of the politicians are hooked on methamphetamines.
I think that we could get the judges on side if we could get the politicians on side. Unfortunately, the judges are told by the politicians to give light sentences as that is an easy way out to not building more jails for the drug addicts.
If, as some are suggesting above, the government should be putting these people into rehab faculties, maybe what we should be doing is making sure that they get all the drugs they need. Use the drugs that are manufactured by them to let them kill themselves. Sounds like a good solution as then society does not have to pay for the safe disposal of the drugs.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005

The feds may have announced a "crack down' on amphetamine producers....but the Ontario government has just CLOSED two drug rehab facilities,in Toronto,arguing that the services could be better accessed "in the community"....oh,that must be the same 'community" where the drugs were purchased in the first place.
Meth is cheap,and incredibly addictive. One has to be very determined to kick the meth habit, and most are not successful on their first,second or third tries.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Government Announce c

annabattler said:
The feds may have announced a "crack down' on amphetamine producers....but the Ontario government has just CLOSED two drug rehab facilities,in Toronto,arguing that the services could be better accessed "in the community"....oh,that must be the same 'community" where the drugs were purchased in the first place.
Meth is cheap,and incredibly addictive. One has to be very determined to kick the meth habit, and most are not successful on their first,second or third tries.

I don't understand. Are the facilities being re-opened elsewhere?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I don't think it matters; the point is, lock up and/or kill the producers and sellers. The addicts will reform if given the incentive. Stop wasting time treating the addicts, and simply kill the producers.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Government Announce crack down on Methamphetamine Of

TenPenny said:
I don't think it matters; the point is, lock up and/or kill the producers and sellers. The addicts will reform if given the incentive. Stop wasting time treating the addicts, and simply kill the producers.

Are you taking lessons from the U.S.'s "war on drugs"?? Face reality - if there is a demand, someone will be there with the supply. Capitalism at work! As long as it doesn't affect me, why should I care?

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005

Just make it legal and free. Let's put free meth booths all over the major cities. Eventually everyone stupid enough to start using the drug, who lacks the will power to quit, will die. Thus, there will be no demand.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC

How about taking these 'couple' of off the shelf cold medications and put them behind the counter or by prescription. They are cold medications and there are lots of other cold medications out on the market that do the same thing and they don't contain the drug required to mfg meth.

Oh just so you know, meth is free, at first. Just talk to any school aged kid and they'll tell ya all about it. See it gets offered to them everyday for free, then once hooked they have to pay. And it's not restricted to school aged kids either, I just hear about it more often than the adults freebies.