Airbase hosts 1st military gay wedding

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/06/14/militarygaywedding0614.html

Two men were married in the chapel at Nova Scotia's Greenwood airbase in May, in what's being called the Canadian military's first gay wedding.
Lt.-Cmdr. David Greenwood, the base's head chaplain, said a sergeant and a warrant officer were married May 3 in front of about 45 guests.

"This couple had been waiting a very long, long time," said Greenwood, declining to give their names because he hadn't asked for permission.

In September, the Nova Scotia Supreme Court ruled that banning same-sex marriages is unconstitutional, effectively changing the definition of marriage in the province to "the lawful union of two persons to the exclusion of all others."

The military has said it's willing to host gay weddings in jurisdictions where it's legal.

A low-key marriage ceremony

Greenwood, an Anglican, did not perform the marriage but he did make the arrangements for the service while a United Church minister from nearby Wolfville performed the vows.

"I looked after the co-ordination in accordance with our military policy of receiving the couple with dignity and respect," said Greenwood.

"I was there to preach and welcome the community on behalf of the base chaplaincy."

While most Anglican dioceses in Canada do not perform same-sex marriages, the Canadian church has postponed its official decision until 2007.

Greenwood said the ceremony was relaxed and low-key, and there wasn't a dry eye in sight when the couple signed the marriage documents.

Greenwood said he has been told that a second same-sex marriage may be in the works this year, at CFB Valcartier in Quebec.

Same-sex marriage legal in 7 provinces, 1 territory

In 2004, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that Ottawa has exclusive jurisdiction to decide who has the right to get married in this country, but that religious groups are not obliged to perform unions against their beliefs.

Federal politicians are now considering a same-sex marriage bill.

Currently, same-sex marriages performed in seven provinces and one territory are legal and must be recognized. Same-sex marriages are not performed in Alberta, New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, but the Nunavut government will recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Airbase hosts 1st mil

Good. I am glad to see the military doing this. Hard to believe "gays" were not even allowed to serve in military at one time. We sure have come a long way. Another reason to be proud of this country.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Hard to believe "gays" were not even allowed to serve in military at one time."

I can understand that it might be uncomfortable for the other soldiers though...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
More reports like this, and it will not take too long before the general public will climatize to the idea....and gays , will be treated like the PEOPLE that they are. Prejudice might linger.....for some time......but prejudice is also part of a society that resists change and evolution.

Happiness to the newlyweds.

Those that are "uncomfortable" with this...wil just have to deal with it. and perhaps examine their own bete noirs.

thelib

Jun 16, 2005
"Prejudice might linger.....for some time"

Well as long as there are Catholics it will be there. Maybe that next on the PM’s plate.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Airbase hosts 1st military gay wedding

missile said:
No problem dealing with it,I only insist on separate washrooms.

the same way that Blacks used to be treated in the US????

sheesh. :roll:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
missile said:

When you understand the male frame of mind then you wouldn't be so quick to compare racial seggregation with homosexuality.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
missile said:

When you understand the male frame of mind then you wouldn't be so quick to compare racial seggregation with homosexuality.

Hmm. maybe the "male" frame of mind should step out of the "frame" it is in and expand a little. :wink:

Seggregation is seggregation. Based on prejudice . It is humanity that must evolve beyond that kind of mindset. But this takes a lot of time and many generations and some solid education/awareness.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Right! It's not a matter of bigotry at all. Just a matter of sex-the ladies have their own bathrooms,as do the men.So,the third sex should have separate bathrooms.Now,that they are out in the open,what is the problem with that?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
Hmm. maybe the "male" frame of mind should step out of the "frame" it is in and expand a little. :wink:

Seggregation is seggregation. Based on prejudice . It is humanity that must evolve beyond that kind of mindset. But this takes a lot of time and many generations and some solid education/awareness.

Changing a frame of mind and controlling your hormones are two different things.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Changing a frame of mind and controlling your hormones are two different things.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
missile said:
Right! It's not a matter of bigotry at all. Just a matter of sex-the ladies have their own bathrooms,as do the men.So,the third sex should have separate bathrooms.Now,that they are out in the open,what is the problem with that?

Are you serious? A third sex?

What exactly do you think goes on in bathrooms??

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Diamond Sun said:
missile said:

They can use the private washrooms for the disabled and nursing mothers. Seems fair.

thelib

Jun 16, 2005
"Over half those attending a London clinic said they had had between six and fifty partners in a year. Many had between fifty-one and a hundred, a few reported more than 300. Common meeting places are certain well-known public toilets, gay bars and other venues."

Public info

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Said1 said:
Diamond Sun said:
missile said:

They can use the private washrooms for the disabled and nursing mothers. Seems fair.

you're kidding aren't you???? Disabled require room for wheelchairs etc. Nursing moms usually have an area in the female bathroom.

What is the big deal???? Homo phobia???

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Said1 said:

I still don't understand why exactly there is this view that homosexuals need to have a separate bathroom. It is totally segregation based on prejudice.

In response to lib, your quote says "over half those", over half of those what?

You could put pretty much any group in there, and I'd bet over half would report between 6 and fifty partners, and to meeting in bars and other venues. Your quote proves nothing.